First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm not sure about the mine needing both aas the hardwire kit only has 1 fuse tap. I am assuming it's either, or in my case. The hardwire kit says thison it's web site:

• 24/7 Parking Surveillance without draining the battery】Directly to the battery for constant 24hrs/7days power to protect against theft when your car is in the parking lot. With the smart low voltage protection, it will automatically shut off the power to your dash cam when the battery voltage drops to 11.6V or 23.2V, thus preventing it draining the battery. Note: If your car requires a start voltage higher than 11.6V for 24 hours parking mode, this hardwire kit may not work for your car.
  • 【Power Supply】Directly to the ignition wire for power only so it can turn on and off with the ignition and you don't have to worry about plugging in the charger, or turning the dashcam on, or any such stuff.
Yep. That means the camera you are using has motion detection to know when to switch into park mode. Typically it detects no movement for 5 or so minutes and then switches to time lapse. Excellent feature. Wire it up to the constant power and that's it!
Sponsored

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They're both installed correctly but I had to flip the bottom fuse tap to fit. There is a lip on the bottom of the fuse box that gets in the way of a fuse tap facing downwards. I had to modify it a tad to go downwards because of that lip. That'll depend on your exact fuse tap. I just gently bent the legs of the fuse tap about 15 degrees.

Nah. If anything happened, the 5amp fuse would blow right away and my equipment would be protected. The main fuse for slot 34 should be a 30amp if I recall and it powers the entire audio and infotainment systems. I've had this set up since October of last year and it's worked flawlessly.

Fuses don't care about current flow. It's just a wire with the proper thickness to melt over a certain amp load.
For wire Taping purposes.....Fuses don't care.... but you should care about current flow direction.... please see video: How To - Add a Fuse Tap in Your Vehicle - YouTube

Last edited:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For wire Taping purposes.....Fuses "DO" care about current flow.... see video: How To - Add a Fuse Tap in Your Vehicle - YouTube

Don't learn the lesson the hard way by ignoring the advice of Bonnie6G
Edited to be clearer:

The fuses don't care.

The fuse tap only cares in that if you swap it, fuse A (35 amp) would have to also carry the ~2 amps max from a dashcam in addition. That's less than the fudge factor of the 35 amp fuse. Completely safe even if the dash cam dies and pulls a solid 5 amp before the fuse blows.

The absolute worst case scenario is that the 35 amp fuse blowing will also take out the 2 amp circuit, but does that really matter when your Bronco can't be driven?

This fuse tap thing is something that gets hammered on constantly, but there is no right way or wrong way - it entirely depends on the application and knowing the circuit path. It's just a dumb device that splits a Y off the hot lead. Is it great to have two fuses in line? Meh. Doesnt hurt in this sutuation. Better than the alternative, which was splicing a wire for 12v.

download (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With a FUSE TAP>>>>
There is a difference ...
The current side when hook up properly, current goes to both fuses. Each can blow separately without affecting the other circuit.

However.... If you flip it around and change the direction of the tap wire (i.e. current flow)..... if the bottom circuit (or original circuit) blows both circuits lose power.

Not the end of the world.... but there is a difference.

On a side note... My daughter lives in the Biltmore area of Phoenix near Arcadia...
Pheonix is a wonderful place and a great place to live!

Last edited: