First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am starting my audio install today as pretty much all the major components have arrived. Not sure if I will do the entire thing myself as I haven’t done an install like this before.

components
Kicker key 200.4
kicker key 500.1
audiofrog GS42, gs60, (2) gs12d2

so I have started with the gs42. I got the covers off. I removed the old speakers. The new ones do not line up with the holes with the old ones. So first question, does anyone know of any adapter I can get to mount the gs42 into that will then line up with the holes? For now I drilled new holes in the plastic but not sure how well they will hold.

i added bass blockers from crutch field and used the hoel harnesses and those fit great. Also should I add any acoustic deadening material? I got the boom mats but they are just too big and bulky and did not work at all.

next up I am going to try and get the gs60 into the kick panels tomorrow.

i need power cable for the amps. Does anyone have any suggestion? Also how do I run the wire from the battery? The 200.4 will be in the glovebox and the 500.1 probably rear cargo on the passenger side. Thanks.
Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a couple of threads on installing the Kicker keys… I’d link one but I don’t know how. Maybe you can get your questions answered through those though.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you dont know how to run cable from battery you should prolly have professional do install. No disrespect but this can turn into a nightmare if you dont know what your doing. Running cable is basics

OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you dont know how to run cable from battery you should prolly have professional do install. No disrespect but this can turn into a nightmare if you dont know what your doing. Running cable is basics
I have done a bunch of other projects so far. Installed oracle fogs and light up letters. I have wired my entire house when I built it just haven’t done a lot of wiring in a car before. So wondering where it’s brought through into the cabin and how each end is connected. I am sure I could run the wire, more worried about breaking clips on panels to be honest. And don’t know what gauge and brand of wire to get.

Sponsored
OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Mesa wire, for the most part. 100% copper. As far as size, it depends on the draw of the amp and distance from the battery. I think the 200.4 comes with a power wire in the harness, but the 500.1 needs like a 6 or 8 gauge wire. Just be sure to put fuses in at the battery.

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I had the GS42's up front, I used a pliers to cut right down the center of the mounting hole's "ear" - this gave me the ability for the screw to catch onto the mount. I think I used some washers as well to make sure it was secured properly. It's not perfect, but it held for the time that I had them up front in the dash.

I used polyfill behind all the speakers - definitely made a difference in overall imaging and removing some of the "hollow-ness" I was getting.

OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When I had the GS42's up front, I used a pliers to cut right down the center of the mounting hole's "ear" - this gave me the ability for the screw to catch onto the mount. I think I used some washers as well to make sure it was secured properly. It's not perfect, but it held for the time that I had them up front in the dash.

I used polyfill behind all the speakers - definitely made a difference in overall imaging and removing some of the "hollow-ness" I was getting.
did you use bass blockers? I add some 300hz blockers but might remove them. Looks like the gs42 has good output to around 125hz and they sound really shallow right now. Granted I have not installed the gs60 yes or the subs but very tingy.

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
did you use bass blockers? I add some 300hz blockers but might remove them. Looks like the gs42 has good output to around 125hz and they sound really shallow right now. Granted I have not installed the gs60 yes or the subs but very tingy.
They have that output at very low volume, they have a Fs (resonant frequency) of 145.8 Hz, below that nasty things happen with any real power, best practice would be crossing over at 2X of the Fs, or 300 Hz.

I would recommend an active 12dB crossover at no lower than 200 Hz, if no separate amp channel then leave the bass blocker as is.

Sponsored
OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They have that output at very low volume, they have a Fs (resonant frequency) of 145.8 Hz, below that nasty things happen with any real power, best practice would be crossing over at 2X of the Fs, or 300 Hz.

I would recommend an active 12dB crossover at no lower than 200 Hz, if no separate amp channel then leave the bass blocker as is.
so leave bass blockers in? I am going to install the kicker 200.4 amp to drive them. Just hoping once the amp and other speakers are in everything sounds a lot better. Currently sounds like listening to a little hand held radio.

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven't used polyfill before but just replaced my dash speakers and felt around in there. I was worried that polyfill would just travel around in there and end up coming out under the dash. How much should you use? I haven't even opened the bag.

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

so leave bass blockers in? I am going to install the kicker 200.4 amp to drive them. Just hoping once the amp and other speakers are in everything sounds a lot better. Currently sounds like listening to a little hand held radio.
Yeah, leave them in. The Audiofrogs are a great speaker but they try to over-perform in the low end department without any bass blockers or high-pass filters engaged; the distortion will be noticeable. I used 600hz bass blockers with mine and had the HPF on the Kicker set to 60hz; it was a good combination!

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I haven't used polyfill before but just replaced my dash speakers and felt around in there. I was worried that polyfill would just travel around in there and end up coming out under the dash. How much should you use? I haven't even opened the bag.
I thought that too when I was looking around in the speaker cavities! So far, the polyfill hasn't moved around. I used enough to completely fill the cavity; you'll know you've used too much when it gets difficult to re-insert the speaker. It made the biggest impact in the front dash (you'll notice right away), but I added a bunch to the door speakers and the rear dash.

OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Question about subwoofer placement. Any reason I cant face the sub drivers towards the front seats? I know people usually face them towards the back, but trying to better protect them.

I have the speakers all installed. The amp install is in progress. Took it to a shop today, they had issues installing the amps so I need to take it back for them to get the calibration straight, i guess they havent done one before.
Sponsored