Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Gen2 Raptor Midtravel / TowRunner F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It can hold the thicker 3 gallon, and we’re making a bracket to hold the talker 4 gallon unit. The gas strut prevents the tailgate from opening quickly and helps ensure the tank doesn’t accidentally collide with the taillight.
You have to deliberately extend the tailgate past its rest point to get the tank to contact the light.
In short the tail light is not as risk of being damaged by the tailgate accidently blowing open and slamming.

Is it possible someone could open it enough to damage the light with the tank, yes. But highly unlikely in my opinion…
Sponsored

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I can add something like this to the Bronco and get better MPG :cool: Works on the boat.
Ford Bronco Gas storage solution ? IMG_9022.JPG

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It can hold the thicker 3 gallon, and we’re making a bracket to hold the talker 4 gallon unit. The gas strut prevents the tailgate from opening quickly and helps ensure the tank doesn’t accidentally collide with the taillight.
You have to deliberately extend the tailgate past its rest point to get the tank to contact the light.
In short the tail light is not as risk of being damaged by the tailgate accidently blowing open and slamming.

Is it possible someone could open it enough to damage the light with the tank, yes. But highly unlikely in my opinion…
Awesome. Thanks.

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would be careful about adding more weight to the tire carrier itself. We have seen serve tailgates fail from the weight of an heavy aftermarket wheel tire setup. Once the tire is supported it can carry the weight of the fuel/accesories without any other attachment points.

Sponsored

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long story short I had a fully built Tacoma that was a warrior. I sold it prematurely expecting my Bronco to arrive last year. That was a mistake. I can speak from experience that the ultimate solution for me will be an aftermarket rear bumper with a swing gate that supports the spare & a Jerry can or two. My in between vehicle is a basic JK that I bought for my daughters. So I wait. Until then pics.
Ford Bronco Gas storage solution ? 26D99124-5E94-462A-B550-41776705698B
Ford Bronco Gas storage solution ? 6351ABBB-C66A-4902-9615-FC5D9031B61A
Ford Bronco Gas storage solution ? 656D7D8D-42CC-4FF1-BDBB-89F30DC2B732

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would be careful about adding more weight to the tire carrier itself. We have seen serve tailgates fail from the weight of an heavy aftermarket wheel tire setup. Once the tire is supported it can carry the weight of the fuel/accesories without any other attachment points.
I’m confused by what you’re saying. The link I posted, that product simply ratchets to the tire. Are you saying that’s the better approach? Or attaching to the carrier/hinge itself is better?

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m confused by what you’re saying. The link I posted, that product simply ratchets to the tire. Are you saying that’s the better approach? Or attaching to the carrier/hinge itself is better?
The hinge of the tailgate is only rated to support a certain weight. off the top of my head I want to say 133lbs and your spare tire is already bearing a chunk of that weight. if it's a sasquatch... i believe its 87.5 lbs. I cant remember the weight of the tire mount itself. each 2gallon rotopax filled will be about 16lbs.

I've been looking around too trying not to replace the rear bumper so I had considered going with the EZ rack at one point. But to safely support the hinge, that also requires buying something like the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The hinge of the tailgate is only rated to support a certain weight. off the top of my head I want to say 133lbs and your spare tire is already bearing a chunk of that weight. if it's a sasquatch... i believe its 87.5 lbs. I cant remember the weight of the tire mount itself. each 2gallon rotopax filled will be about 16lbs.

I've been looking around too trying not to replace the rear bumper so I had considered going with the EZ rack at one point. But to safely support the hinge, that also requires buying something like the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement.
I’ve got stock Badlands wheels/tires so I’m a bit under that. Attaching 1-2 Rotopax and 2 recovery boards and I should still fall within the weight rating.

Sponsored

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got stock Badlands wheels/tires so I’m a bit under that. Attaching 1-2 Rotopax and 2 recovery boards and I should still fall within the weight rating.
cool yeah the sasquatch tires/wheels adds a lot of weight. So I dont want to test the tailgates limits for mine haha.

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gas weight is 6lb per Gal and water is 8.345lb and diesel is 7lb just thought this maybe helpful for the guys talking about weight

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gas weight is 6lb per Gal and water is 8.345lb and diesel is 7lb just thought this maybe helpful for the guys talking about weight
yup i should have clarified when i said the 16lbs for a filled 2gallon rotopax was with gas.

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Im referring to the stress placed on the tailgate sheet metal from the weight of the tire carrier+the added weight of fuel/mounts. Although the hinge is rated to support 133lbs of weight, I do not interpret that for meaning the threads that support the spare tire can hold 130 lbs.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im referring to the stress placed on the tailgate sheet metal from the weight of the tire carrier+the added weight of fuel/mounts. Although the hinge is rated to support 133lbs of weight, I do not interpret that for meaning the threads that support the spare tire can hold 130 lbs.
That I cannot answer but just do whatever you think is safe for your truck. unfortunately there's not a lot of options readily available at this moment. Things like the Gobi Rack which is coming soon opens up more doors for mounting options.
Sponsored