Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I towed my camping trailer to Overland Expo PNW and the bronco didn’t skip a beat pulling it but my god is the lack of ability to lock out gears for more that 5 seconds while in drive a pain. Really hope Ford is able to do a software upgrade eventually to allow you to do that.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Forgive me... manual transmission user here. Probably spent less than 100 miles driving an automatic transmission vehicle total since I started driving, so I'm a novice.

What does "lock out gears" mean?

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Forgive me... manual transmission user here. Probably spent less than 100 miles in an automatic transmission vehicle total since I started driving, so I'm a novice.

What does "lock out gears" mean?
On the super duties you can use the plus and minus button on the shifter to keep from up shifting past a certain gear. So you can choose like 8th gear as the highest gear it’ll shift to.

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With most FORD trucks in tow mode you can use the minus button on side of shifter to lock out upper gears. Since no tow mode I wonder if that is the issue?

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the super duties you can use the plus and minus button on the shifter to keep from up shifting past a certain gear. So you can choose like 8th gear as the highest gear it’ll shift to.
Ah gotcha... so it's like a pseudo-manual. Let's you pick a gear and it'll try to hold that gear.

I assume if you hit a specific RPM it's just going to ignore whatever you selected and shift anyway? (And that's what the problem is.)

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In manual (M) mode you can stay in whatever gear you choose with the +/- button. At least I could IIRC.
Yeah but it won’t downshift on its on. Makes it sketchy when you have to punch it going up a hill un expectedly and it just falls on its face since it’s stuck in a higher gear.

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah gotcha... so it's like a pseudo-manual. Let's you pick a gear and it'll try to hold that gear.

I assume if you hit a specific RPM it's just going to ignore whatever you selected and shift anyway?
It still acts as an auto just won’t go beyond whatever gear you have set as the highest. So say it’s set for 7th being the highest gear it’ll run through 1-7th just not beyond that gear.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It still acts as an auto just won’t go beyond whatever gear you have set as the highest. So say it’s set for 7th being the highest gear it’ll run through 1-7th just not beyond that gear.
Love and I mean LOVE this feature on my Super Duty and would love it on the Bronco. On mountain highways and off road it's amazing. I'm sure all it would take is a little software tweaking.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah but it won’t downshift on its on. Makes it sketchy when you have to punch it going up a hill un expectedly and it just falls on its face since it’s stuck in a higher gear.
Push the “-“ button!! I really want paddle shifter!

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ya that’s a truck feature that is super useful. Not surprised it got overlooked on a mid size SUV that doesn’t have tow mode and can’t tow much.
Sponsored