Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all, I've stole various ideas from people on this forum to design and install my ghost GMRS install. Some have mentioned concern with water maybe reaching it. It's already mounted so high up I don't see any realistic scenario in which a significant amount of water could reach up there and penetrate the radio. No chance from wet boots. If I'm fording 4.5 feet of water I will have much bigger problems. I also decided to put the ethernet coupler on the side of that lower trim piece so it specifically did not black the storage area near the wireless charger.

TL DR
For the detail challenged folks I made a 60 second video for my IG fans linked

Here's the full write up.

Custom plastic bracket to mount radio on two factory studs on the driver side firewall
Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio $165
Midland 6 Meter NMO Antenna Cable $30
Midland NMO Ghost Antenna $50
Midland MXTA22 Ditch Light Extension Bracket $25
Tripp Lite Cat 5e 6ft Patch Cable $3
UMLife Cat6 Waterproof/Dustproof Coupler $11
M8-1.25 x2 Hex Nut for bracket to stud mount $1
2x washers for stud mount
16awg Insulated Wire Crimp Connectors (You only need 1 but I have a kit for $11)
16awg Heat Shrink Butt Connectors (You only need 1 but I have a kit for $18)
Felt Tape $8
Zip Ties

Tools needed:
Socket set
Heat gun
Crimper
Torx plus kit

What I did:
I decided to go with the ghost mount for looks instead of performance. Those I trail with will be relatively close and I'll bring the antenna the MXT275 comes with in the event I feel I'll need more range. I used the Midland MXTA22 ditch light extension and went on the inner most bronco bolt driver side. This was to separate the antenna from the rigid pod light as much as possible. (Side note, I went with the true rigid 360 pod light instead of the ford performance one for the amber back light which I generally always have on, so interference could be possible)

For this mount I used a riser I got from home depot to bring the mount up about and inch, then used washers and a longer bronco bolt to secure it. I put felt tape beneath the lowest part of the antenna so that it is resting on the plastic cowl creating another pressure point but not damaging the plastic.

Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial IMG_6234.JPEG

Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial 2022-04-28 08_57_27-iCloud Photos

I then found a piece of plastic to create the radio bracket mount. Pretty simple here. Just drilled some stud holes and mounted the bracket.
Put the bracket on the stud.
Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial 2022-04-28 09_02_53-iCloud Photos

Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial IMG_6228

I then wired to AUX4 as my pod light backlight is aux5 and main pod beam are aux 6. Aux4 was still only a 5 amp. I get the question why I used an aux and not directly to the battery. I went back and forth a bunch but decided AUX for the very small concern of battery drain and that I don't intend on using all 6 AUX switches. If this becomes a problem I'll just wire to battery directly. I saved enough wire.

I ran the 6ft of ethernet beneath the carper on the driver side by easily stuffing it, then ran it up to below the HVAC controls where I removed the trim piece and drilled a hole to put the waterproof ethernet coupler. This allows me to only pull the handset out when I need the radio. Since I intend on a lot of doorless/topless driving I wanted all of this out of sight. Everything turned out as expected. The biggest problem is I come from the world of CB. I have no idea how to configure my GMRS radio lol. So it'll sit around doing nothing until I get some help.

Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial IMG-6243
Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial IMG-6242

Ford Bronco GMRS Ghost Install Tutorial 2022-04-28 08_59_52-iCloud Photos
Sponsored

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good deal.
Thanks for the links and descriptions.
Takes a lot of search and guesswork out of it.

OP
OP
KompressorV12

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good deal.
Thanks for the links and descriptions.
Takes a lot of search and guesswork out of it.
I should have gotten dimensions of the bracket I used then sent it to someone who could make a 3d printer file for open sourcing before one of these bronco tax companies steals the idea and tries to patent it
Sponsored