Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like to leave mine powered while I'm driving to receive weather alerts. I'd guess that some might not be interested in that feature but it's one of the reasons I installed mine. So my preference would be to have it power on each time I start my vehicle. Would be nice if the Midland unit provided relay circuit built in, but apart from that would an external relay just result in the same trouble?
When you’re driving, there isn’t any worries. Whether off road or on road. The engine is charging the battery, so just like when you’re using off road lights on the trails, when you’re driving, no issues whatsoever.

Relay circuit is already there in your Upfitter Switch, so another one won’t do anything. If you can live with the glitches for now, stay with it. If transmitting or receiving start breaking up, or folks in your group can’t hear you, you’ll be better off wiring it directly to the battery.
Sponsored

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s another option for powering the radio using the Delayed Assesory circuit Ford provided. It’s a 30 amp fused drop. I went over in this post:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...t-and-67-designs-mic-mount.70922/post-2157935

Functions flawlessly so far for me.
Wow, that does sound like it's worth a shot. In my case the issue only pops up intermittently when I start the vehicle (maybe about 25% of the time or less) so perhaps a delay would allow it to avoid competing with the start of the vehicle for voltage. I'm curious, what issue were you trying to solve by using that power source?

Camp Hell Yeah.

Everglades
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Tover
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Interested in the Rocky talkies. You like them ? Clear transmissions? I looked at them plus Scott Brady recommends them but I’m a newbie so I am just looking for something that works and is reliable. Not going to be traveling in large groups etc. just more of a personal preference I guess. Plus I am more of “less is more type of a guy.”I don’t want a zillion pieces of electronic equipment inside. No need for more GPS, iPads, or other miscellaneous navigation.

Hats off to you for a creative install.

To be honest, I gave up on this project. Still have the Midland in the box, but spent the last year with handhelds and recently upgraded to the Rocky Talkie GMRS 5w. Have Midland handhelds, but they’re primitive and the battery life is terrible, then there’s the charging which is pretty bad as well.

The Rocky Talkie was pricey, but is pretty rugged, long battery life, I can take it out of the truck, and has USB-C charging.

I still may pay someone to do the install one day using the glove box option, but would then need a Magnetic Mic mount and buy a new 67 Designs arm to hang it on and I just can’t. May do an arm to hold the handset, but not sure.

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, that does sound like it's worth a shot. In my case the issue only pops up intermittently when I start the vehicle (maybe about 25% of the time or less) so perhaps a delay would allow it to avoid competing with the start of the vehicle for voltage. I'm curious, what issue were you trying to solve by using that power source?
That’s a great question. First, I wasn’t interested in sacrificing a Upfitter switch for the application. Second, this allowed me to keep the install within the safe confines of the passenger compartment. The only wire entering the engine bay is the antenna cable. Third, it reduces the attachments to the actual battery. Saving that space for other projects. Fourth, being a bit absent minded at times, this prevents me from accidentally leaving it on. Fifth, this allows the power consumption to be monitored and managed by the BMS as I assume Ford intended when it provided the feature. Sixth, because I haven’t seen anyone else take this approach with a 50watt radio, and felt it could be done. Sixth, I like that it functions seamlessly with/like the factory installed accessories. Shut off the ignition, still use the radio until I open the door or my forscan adjusted timeout strikes. It just feels like a nice integration this way. And last, I enjoy learning. Figuring out how to tie into that circuit location was an interesting challenge and learning how to take that plug apart and then put it all back together was a fun way to spend a few hours. It gives me an oppertunity to pay back to this community for all he knowlege everyone else shares.

There, that about covers. Maybe not issues I was trying to solve, but more reasons I chose this approach. Hope you find it helpful somehow.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interested in the Rocky talkies. You like them ? Clear transmissions? I looked at them plus Scott Brady recommends them but I’m a newbie so I am just looking for something that works and is reliable. Not going to be traveling in large groups etc. just more of a personal preference I guess. Plus I am more of “less is more type of a guy.”I don’t want a zillion pieces of electronic equipment inside. No need for more GPS, iPads, or other miscellaneous navigation.
Purchased the RT 5w about a month ago and have only had the chance to use it once and that was this past weekend.

I also own a pair of Midland handhelds that I've used for the past 2 years, also GMRS handhelds.

The RT is quite heavy and robust with a metal outer housing, but it was much more expensive, so better quality is expected.

The RT sounded just fine, the controls are logical and easier to use than the Midland and most important is the battery is much stronger and lasted all day with no issues at all, plus the USB-C charging is great.

Understand your perspective too to not have an almost desktop looking set up in your rig. I may grab another arm from 67 Designs to hold this thing from my Archetype Racing BAM rail, but not sure yet since it's heavy. Just had it in my cupholder. Mine came with a second longer antenna as well, so no range issues and I definitely like it.

So, if you’re ok with $150 for a GMRS handled and you’ll maybe take it hiking as well, I think it’s a good buy and I don’t regret doing so.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put my RJ-45 down by the front USB ports and unplug the mic and put in the glovebox when not in use. I hang the mic from the M2M Squatch Basket when on the trail and it's perfect. You can hear it as it's near your head and you can grab it quickly to talk.

Note that if you don't turn off the radio before unplugging the mic the radio stays on. Something I have to be concerned about since it wired it directly.

I suspect that running the radio through a relay could potentially cause problems, depending on the connection inside the relay.

I'm tempted to put a good quality switch inline the power wire.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had my pair of 5W Rocky Talkies for about a month now as well and really impressed with their quality and performance. We mostly use the Bronco for camping and hiking, with some off road adventures mixed in. These things are perfect for those kinds of activities like around camp or for the occasional spotting when rock crawling. We haven't done many group runs, but these would work fine for that as well.

I'm interested in their dashboard mounting cradle that they've teased so the handheld can have a dedicated place instead of in the cup holder or just clipped onto something. I'm also entertaining the idea of connecting it to an antenna mounted outside the Bronco to increase the range.

Ford Bronco GMRS Install Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 10.07.18 AM

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do any of you have multiple high power console radios? How do you transition between them? I like the M2M under dash mount but that’s a pain to swap radios. Another option is to have a rooftop molle panel and mount there. Would make it simpler to swap.

Anyone also facing this issue?
For a while I was considering multiple radios and my plan was to wire one power/ground (10-14awg) run to a female 2-pin deutch under the seat. Then I was going to mount each radio to a small cutting board with a handle and wire male 2-pin deutches to each. Velcro strips under the seat to hold them. I got the cutting boards, but decided I only use GMRS and CB on the road, so I scrapped the idea.
Sponsored