Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would like to install a GMRS radio for use on my off-roading trips.

I wanted to find out where folks were installing their antenna’s and mic’s? I found the antenna mount that TrailRecon uses, and it’s ok but would like something more out of the way.

Regarding the mic location - curious to see where people are hanging theirs.
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few folks have modified some Jeep brackets and mounted the antenna near the spare tire. To me running cables that far would be too much work. I hood mounted mine like TrailRecon and am happy.

LoboNation

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since my radio has a control head that comes off the radio body, I mounted that on an aluminum bracket up above the drivers sun visor. My mic is on a 6X4 piece of industrial Velcro on the ceiling between drivers and passanger heads. I can reach my right hand up and get it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

nineagel

Badlands
First Name
Oleg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2, Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice. I hadn't seen that previously. Ordered up a set. Is missing a ground plane and a little close to the light, but not bad.

What about mic placements in the cabin? Where are you guys installing it?

The whole bronco is the ground plane if you scratch off a bit of paint from the holes. worked for me on the same brackets

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm waiting for the Midland MXT 525 (I think?) to come out soon, 50W radio. Controls are in the microphone unit. I plan to mount the radio somewhere out of the way under the dash and when going on trails I'll plug the mike in and probably just have it where the wireless charger is or in one of the cupholders. Really not a good place to put a mount that won't look weird the rest of the year and I'm not leaving anything of value visible in the truck year round. Antenna I'm not sure yet, might just use the magnetic one they supply or get something to put on the passenger trail sight. Has to be removable for the rest of the year though.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm waiting for the Midland MXT 525 (I think?) to come out soon, 50W radio. Controls are in the microphone unit. I plan to mount the radio somewhere out of the way under the dash and when going on trails I'll plug the mike in and probably just have it where the wireless charger is or in one of the cupholders. Really not a good place to put a mount that won't look weird the rest of the year and I'm not leaving anything of value visible in the truck year round. Antenna I'm not sure yet, might just use the magnetic one they supply or get something to put on the passenger trail sight. Has to be removable for the rest of the year though.
I believe the hood is aluminum, so I’m not sure where youcould put a magnetic antenna.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the hood is aluminum, so I’m not sure where youcould put a magnetic antenna.
that is true, the roll cage is steel though, I was gonna see if I can fit it there somewhere. Easy if the roof is open. Not ideal but should work for my purposes. Otherwise I've seen mounts for the trail sights on the hood as well as some that mount with the tire carrier in back somehow. Mostly self made things so far, I'm sure someone will offer it soon enough. Trail sight would be ideal I think, also for a flag mount.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was going to get a hood mount like I have for my truck, but then I found this: https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6-DLM.html

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 1644938800876

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 1644938800876
I was stoked until I read this disclaimer in their site:

“The SWR of the antenna can be affected by proximity to any installed lights depending on antenna style. The small antenna shown is a Midland Ghost for GMRS, the larger is a dual-band Comet SBB-5NMO. Photos are for illustration purposes only, the small GMRS antenna would likely be negatively affected by its proximity to the ditch light.”

Stilbukn

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '13 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I saw the post from a couple of members who were able to modify a jeep mount or fab one from scratch for their Broncos but I believe they may have had the standard tire size which has more clearance between the tailgate and back of the tire. I have the sasquatch wheels and I couldn't make that route work. On my Bronco there is almost no free space between the rear of the spare tire and the tailgate. But they sparked the idea of making my own mount and it turned out well for my purpose.

Picture 1 is the mounting plate fitted up after several grinding and filing attempts were made. I decided to cut the base off level with the top of the tailgate. I bolted the top bracket for the antenna mount to the base instead of welding it in case I needed replace it to add something else to the mount in the future like another type of antenna or additional antennas.... Who knows, but basically it took to damn long to make the cuts for the base to fit up to have to remake it if I screwed up on the angle iron portion of the mount an if it is a two piece I at least know I'm not remaking the hard part.
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location Bare mount

All the metal is 1/8 inch steel. The sideview picture gives you an idea of the minimal clearance when you have the factory spare tire mount and the bigger wheels. I added a piece of rubber to the front of the mount in case it flexed enough going down the road to hit the tailgate but so far I can't tell that it has made contact with the tailgate. I decided to add the firestick quick disconnect antenna base seen in picture 2 and it seems to work well so far.
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location painted with disconnect
Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location side view

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was looking at the JCR accessories mount and wanting to do some dimension comparison between the midland mxt275 to see if it will fit in under it as there is the sunken tray under the mount. I know the JRC mount has a USB port opening so there may need to be some re work needed.