Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My wife and I are heading to Moab for the Bronco Off-Roadeo in March and couldn’t be more excited. This will be the first trip we’ve taken without kids since our 6 y/o was born. We also didn’t do a trip for our 10 year anniversary, as it fell within the craziness of the pandemic. So we want to make this trip amazing. We both suck at planning and March will be here before we know it. Our plan is to spend the whole week down in the south west. Our rough working plan is to fly into Salt Lake City (and get a rental car … I would love to drive my Bronco from Missouri, but my wife is not on board with that) on Saturday. Do some skiing on Sunday, drive to Moab Sunday evening, Off-Roadeo on Monday, and then slowly head south hitting various different things, and then ending in the Grand Canyon. We enjoy hiking and being outdoors (both in mid 30s and in good shape) and want to do all the things we can’t do with kids.

We got a week in that area … what should we do?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored

ptgptg

Outer Banks
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Get to know your wife again!;) My kids are a bit older, but I still remember our first vacation (2002) after the kids were born, and without them, and it was amazing. We did the Bob Bondurant school of driving in Scottsdale, played 4 rounds of golf, drove to the grand canyon (mustang convertible rental), stopped in Sedona and on the way back from the grand canyon, my wife said it was too bad we didn't have another round of golf scheduled (and she isn't a golfer!). so we scheduled another round and then had to come back to earth upon our return. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since you'll be in a rental car and not a Bronco that might limit your options around there. Will you try to rent a <gag> Jeep?
Not opposed to it. Just not sure how smart it is taking a rental on trails. I’ve heard about people renting jeeps for a day through Twisted Jeeps but haven’t researched it much.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We got a week in that area … what should we do?
Visit as many national parks as you can.

First off, if you stay at the lodge where the Bronco Off-Roadeo is held you'll probably pay more than twice as much as if you stay in Moab. I did one night in Moab and two nights at the Red Cliff Lodge and wish all three had been in Moab. You'll have to leave half an hour earlier to drive from Moab to the Off-Roadeo site, but that's the only drawback of not staying there. The Red Cliff Lodge is 17 miles from the center of Moab on Highway 128.

Arches National Park is right at the north end of Moab. You have to get an online reservation for what time you want to enter the park unless you wait until 4:00 pm to go in, then they let anybody in. Many arches that you can hike to. I would strongly suggest you hike to Delicate Arch which is a little over a mile of mostly uphill to get there, but worth it. Lots of other shorter hikes in the park.

Canyonlands is also close by. If you could rent a 4x4, the White Rim Trail is great, but be aware that you need a permit (free if you get it that morning at the visitor center). I've done it twice in my Bronco. But there are other short hikes in that park as well. If you ignore my advice below to visit the other Utah national parks, you can drive south and see more of Canyonlands at the south entrance.

Otherwise, visit Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, then Zion national parks. I can't say much about Capitol Reef, because I have only spent half a day there. If you go to Bryce Canyon you MUST hike down in it a ways to really experience the place. There is also a hike that I like at the top of the big tunnel in Zion called Canyon Overlook Trail. Slightly easier than the Delicate Arch hike in Arches, but worth the trip. You'll have to take shuttles in Zion to get to most of the good stuff.

Then off to Grand Canyon. I like the north rim the best there, but it will still be closed in march. Just drive along the south rim and stop at every lookout.

Oh, and bring a hat to the Off-Roadeo. You'll be out looking at stuff for several hours there and you don't want to get sunburned.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did an epic 10-day road trip, visiting 7 National Parks, Vegas and Forrest Gump Point. Spent a couple of nights in Moab and had a blast. I'd encourage you to visit Arches NP and Canyonlands NP just outside Moab. If you get a chance, go to Forrest Gump Point in Utah and visit the sight where Forrest Gump turned around. Such a beautiful area. I also spent a couple of nights at the Grand Canyon...ran down to Phantom Ranch from the south rim and back up. (Bright Angel Trail is closed right now if you decide to go for a hike...but South Kaibab is open)

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not opposed to it. Just not sure how smart it is taking a rental on trails. I’ve heard about people renting jeeps for a day through Twisted Jeeps but haven’t researched it much.
There's rental insurance for a reason.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Visit as many national parks as you can.

First off, if you stay at the lodge where the Bronco Off-Roadeo is held you'll probably pay more than twice as much as if you stay in Moab. I did one night in Moab and two nights at the Red Cliff Lodge and wish all three had been in Moab. You'll have to leave half an hour earlier to drive from Moab to the Off-Roadeo site, but that's the only drawback of not staying there. The Red Cliff Lodge is 17 miles from the center of Moab on Highway 128.

Arches National Park is right at the north end of Moab. You have to get an online reservation for what time you want to enter the park unless you wait until 4:00 pm to go in, then they let anybody in. Many arches that you can hike to. I would strongly suggest you hike to Delicate Arch which is a little over a mile of mostly uphill to get there, but worth it. Lots of other shorter hikes in the park.

Canyonlands is also close by. If you could rent a 4x4, the White Rim Trail is great, but be aware that you need a permit (free if you get it that morning at the visitor center). I've done it twice in my Bronco. But there are other short hikes in that park as well. If you ignore my advice below to visit the other Utah national parks, you can drive south and see more of Canyonlands at the south entrance.

Otherwise, visit Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, then Zion national parks. I can't say much about Capitol Reef, because I have only spent half a day there. If you go to Bryce Canyon you MUST hike down in it a ways to really experience the place. There is also a hike that I like at the top of the big tunnel in Zion called Canyon Overlook Trail. Slightly easier than the Delicate Arch hike in Arches, but worth the trip. You'll have to take shuttles in Zion to get to most of the good stuff.

Then off to Grand Canyon. I like the north rim the best there, but it will still be closed in march. Just drive along the south rim and stop at every lookout.

Oh, and bring a hat to the Off-Roadeo. You'll be out looking at stuff for several hours there and you don't want to get sunburned.
My favorite spot (I didn't go to a lot) was Porcupine Rim.

img_0800-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There's rental insurance for a reason.
That’s fair. My other concern would be how capable a rental jeep from Hertz or Enterprise would be.

Sponsored

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s fair. My other concern would be how capable a rental jeep from Hertz or Enterprise would be.
I did the Moab off rodeo A little over two years ago. There are other jeep rental places. I had arranged to have one waiting at the airport. If my memory serves correct, I believe the company I use was called Jenns jeeps. If I could recommend going anywhere, it would be the trail called chicken corners. When you reach the end of the trail at the point where you have to turn around, get out and walk the tiny path around the ledge, and you will be blown away by the view. You will quickly realize why it is called chicken corner. Don’t look down. This area can be seen from other viewpoints, but chicken corner is the best. If you make it to canyonlands observatory, you will be looking down at the area that is chicken corners. They also do helicopter rides over that area.
Ford Bronco Going to The Moab Off-Rodeo on Monday, March 18 and Looking for Ideas 1704419941978

Last edited:

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tjzoli

Wildtrak
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We are planning the same trip in late April (plus or minus skiing).
Turo.com has Broncos you can rent from normal folks.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Regarding the book on Moab trails, you can get a free copy of the Easter Jeep Safari booklet at many motel and restaurant lobbies in Moab. I still use the one I picked up in 2022 that lists all of the major trails. For example, it lists Chicken Corners as a 2-rated trail. A Bronco Sasquatch should be able to easily handle up to a #4 without needing sliders or armor underneath.
Sponsored