First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd really like to get a GoPro camera, but reading the GoPro privacy policy language makes it seem like they want complete access to nearly everything on one's phone. That scares me away. Mavic drone policy is perhaps a bit worse. Am I over thinking it? Can anyone offer insight, thoughts and guidance on this issue? .

Thanks. Contented
Sponsored

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What are you trying to hide? Lol J/K. I gave up on privacy as soon as apple started talking about how privacy is priority number 1. Just don’t use the app. Just pull the SD card and process the video on a computer. Best way to be safe. Plus playing with your phone while driving and worrying about GoPro video….might mean a highlight real you don’t want!

OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are you trying to hide? Lol J/K. I gave up on privacy as soon as apple started talking about how privacy is priority number 1. Just don’t use the app. Just pull the SD card and process the video on a computer. Best way to be safe. Plus playing with your phone while driving and worrying about GoPro video….might mean a highlight real you don’t want!
I'm old so I probably come from a different point of view. I just don't care to have god knows who looking through my contact list or photos, etc. Although it's probably a silly notion in today's world to think anything is really private. Thanks for pointing out the obvious (not to me I guess :) ), i.e. pulling the card and processing in my computer.

Thanks again. Contented

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was definitely not trying to be upsetting. I never know how much people know or don’t know. I truly believe we are too connected today to really expect privacy.

OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was definitely not trying to be upsetting. I never know how much people know or don’t know. I truly believe we are too connected today to really expect privacy.
No worries. You're probably correct. My son-in-law tells me the same thing.

Take care. Contented

Sponsored

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@contented
Edit: fixing some grammar mistakes and an incomplete sentence - using the mobile website is tricky for long posts.

this is a hot debate in today’s world so finding good, trustworthy information is hard to do! Here’s my 2 cents:

Your concerns are very valid. People don’t think about what all of their little digital breadcrumbs can mean to someone with ill intent - or how poorly companies protect your data from those people. However, that does not mean that you can’t use the fun toys! You just need to know what they’re taking and what that means.

Personally, I use an iPhone and HomeKit an and will not let anything Alexa into my house (I’m not soliciting opinions on this lol I followed my own advice below and made an informed decision). For that reason, this following advice is tailored to the apple ecosystem / general practices but if you use a different phone or smarthome, you may have to do some research

If you go into the Apple App Store, it will tell you exactly what data is being collected by the app in what they call the “Data Nutrition Label.” Now, this is self reported by the developer so grain of salt.

Also in the iPhone settings, you can go to Privacy and control what the GoPro app has access to then into your location settings and do the same. Essentially, you can reduce what they’re collecting by asking your iPhone to reduce what they have access to (even though you’ve permitted it on the app).

Im not certain Android provides something similar but would be kinda surprised if they didn’t. (They definitely offer the settings option but not sure how forthcoming they are with data - and don’t assume that policies are uniform between Apple and Android).

I totally agree with your concerns. We’ve seen companies like Facebook and Amazon take MASSIVE amounts of data that they do not need (and lie about what they take). Just because you “have nothing to hide” doesn’t mean that you want some stranger to have access to photos of your children or grandchildren. I’ve never subscribed to that argument. Why invite opportunity for something you don’t want? If the best case is “nothing happens” and the worst case is “bad things happen” then avoid that lol

Do a little research, know what they’re asking for, make an informed decision.

To help, I’ll offer my opinion: GoPro is an American company that abides by American rule of law. They’re largely used and have never (that I know of) been accused of digital improprieties like Facebook, Amazon, or DJI (to provide a name in the digital photography space). You’re likely ok and safe but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t practice good online/digital behaviors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@BitterBronco, great write up, very informative and helpful. Thanks much.

Contented
Sponsored