First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
...... like a FOOL! It was a perfect day. Slept in, loaded the dogs up, found some new food trucks and picked up a picnic lunch. After that we proceeded to go have our picnic up at Polipoli State Park. Unfortunately most of the lower meadow area which has some really fun steep hill grassland trails to wind up has been closed off by the ranch and taken over by the cows. So we went to the top end of the meadow to the last bit that isnt cow pasture. It has a couple of entrance trails that sneak up on you. One was a huge deep rut mud pit, not on our weak 31 BFGs. Another I missed, so I quickly turned into the 3rd. Immediately 6ft off the pavement I got the t-case skid plate(extra low on a 90s) hung up on a ancient lava rock edge buried in soft grass. There I am teetering on top of a beautiful mountain overlooking one of the most beautiful views on Maui. My wife is getting nervous, the questions are coming, should we call someone? What can I do? Do you have a plan? Do you have any gear? I tell her to relax enjoy the view eat some of your lunch. Its no big deal, I can sort us out.

Well I have to be really stuck to call someone, and while I didnt yet have a plan and wished I had put my winch or atleast my come along on the Bronco instead of the Comanche. I still had a little to work with. I had 2 straps(not much help since the nearest car, a modern rental cherokee had no tow hooks. The nerve of them! :ROFLMAO: I did however have a bottle jack and I saw some fire wood laying around the area. Mental gears are turning. So with barely any weight on any tire I jacked them all up one by one. On gravel and soft grass with small pieces of a pallet for stability on the 25 plus degree slopes. I was able to get 6 inch logs under the front tires down slope and some sticks and gravel piles under the rear. Set it all down 4L reverse light pedal. Success I backed off the rock. Then we went down to another spot and had a nice lunch. Took about 35 minutes, mostly due to assessment and foraging for wood, no big deal.

I thought I would share this, even though a lil embarrassing, because it is a good example of simple everyday 4x4 life and the hiccups that come along. The basic things you may need that can help you out and how to figure out simple work arounds for when you arent as equipped as you would prefer. Anyway here is a couple pictures of the situation. It really is one of the best VIEWS;) on the island.
Ford Bronco Got my 96 Bronco stuck thursday.... IMG_7408
Ford Bronco Got my 96 Bronco stuck thursday.... IMG_7409
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is a weird looking glacier. However - look at that CRAVASSE!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you hire a plumber to fix your Bronc? A crack like that usually comes from a plumber. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’m guessing that wasn’t the view we were expecting! Butt hey, thanks for the post!

Sponsored
OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FWIW. Looks like your approach was too square to the mound, probably would have been fine if your came at it at a 45° angle.
Oh yeah been over that many times just did it at a weird angle and a foot to the right. Ohh well it made a little excitement for the day. That Bronco has been stuck before but its the first time I have done it.

Glad I could give yall a little entertainment. It was pretty funny when all the cows started coming round to check on me.

A side note even though the Jeep couldn't help me with his rental he crawled in the dirt looking for a tow point, good effort. However a big lifted Tacoma just drove slowly by even as I was chasing em down the road waving a to strap. Would've taken 2 minutes or less since he had a hitch ball on it.

Last edited:

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

...... like a FOOL! It was a perfect day. Slept in, loaded the dogs up, found some new food trucks and picked up a picnic lunch. After that we proceeded to go have our picnic up at Polipoli State Park. Unfortunately most of the lower meadow area which has some really fun steep hill grassland trails to wind up has been closed off by the ranch and taken over by the cows. So we went to the top end of the meadow to the last bit that isnt cow pasture. It has a couple of entrance trails that sneak up on you. One was a huge deep rut mud pit, not on our weak 31 BFGs. Another I missed, so I quickly turned into the 3rd. Immediately 6ft off the pavement I got the t-case skid plate(extra low on a 90s) hung up on a ancient lava rock edge buried in soft grass. There I am teetering on top of a beautiful mountain overlooking one of the most beautiful views on Maui. My wife is getting nervous, the questions are coming, should we call someone? What can I do? Do you have a plan? Do you have any gear? I tell her to relax enjoy the view eat some of your lunch. Its no big deal, I can sort us out.

Well I have to be really stuck to call someone, and while I didnt yet have a plan and wished I had put my winch or atleast my come along on the Bronco instead of the Comanche. I still had a little to work with. I had 2 straps(not much help since the nearest car, a modern rental cherokee had no tow hooks. The nerve of them! :ROFLMAO: I did however have a bottle jack and I saw some fire wood laying around the area. Mental gears are turning. So with barely any weight on any tire I jacked them all up one by one. On gravel and soft grass with small pieces of a pallet for stability on the 25 plus degree slopes. I was able to get 6 inch logs under the front tires down slope and some sticks and gravel piles under the rear. Set it all down 4L reverse light pedal. Success I backed off the rock. Then we went down to another spot and had a nice lunch. Took about 35 minutes, mostly due to assessment and foraging for wood, no big deal.

I thought I would share this, even though a lil embarrassing, because it is a good example of simple everyday 4x4 life and the hiccups that come along. The basic things you may need that can help you out and how to figure out simple work arounds for when you arent as equipped as you would prefer. Anyway here is a couple pictures of the situation. It really is one of the best VIEWS;) on the island.
Your second picture needs blurred.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great story! I reckon a little more gas might have got you over but wife in car the possibility of loco moco a teri all flying around held you up.
Glad you ate first dig later👍

I dont know why your stories remind me of my past ,once i had a pretty girl ,beer,and some snacks in my international harvester driving around on trails at night trying to find a place to make things happen.
Well dumbass hit a bunch of bee boxes in the dark and gets stuck bees everywhere im not getting out in that🐝 finially about two hrs later guy comes by and i point he gives me the👍and i get a shove off the boxes.
At least the beer and snacks were tasty.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Got my 96 Bronco stuck thursday.... 1613267611593
Sponsored