Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Morning, how are ya guys?

Simply put, never use eco mode and wanna maximize cooling when I get my intercooler as I'm doing the stock location, so whats needed, do I need to FORScan it or is it just rip some pieces out but also keep something to trick the unit?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could be wrong but I believe the whipple intercooler does just that...louvers are removed and a bracket is provided to keep the switch and tricking system that louvers are still there.

OP
OP
Lèòn

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I could be wrong but I believe the whipple intercooler does just that...louvers are removed and a bracket is provided to keep the switch and tricking system that louvers are still there.
Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind, wonder if anyone else sells a trick bracket?

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind, wonder if anyone else sells a trick bracket?
Not sure but it's probably something simple. I'll be tearing off the MOD bumper this weekend, I'll take a peek how the louvers operate.

OP
OP
Lèòn

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Not sure but it's probably something simple. I'll be tearing off the MOD bumper this weekend, I'll take a peek how the louvers operate.
Sounds good, lemme know, definitely wanna remove all the useless stuff Ford and uncle thought we needed

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds good, lemme know, definitely wanna remove all the useless stuff Ford and uncle thought we needed
I thought about removing the shutters myself but my thought is the shutters can be beneficial for keeping crap out of the intercooler such as when fording dirty water and/or deep mud. It's not going to take much crap to plug the cooler.

OP
OP
Lèòn

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I thought about removing the shutters myself but my thought is the shutters can be beneficial for keeping crap out of the intercooler such as when fording dirty water and/or deep mud. It's not going to take much crap to plug the cooler.
True, that's also fair

OP
OP
Lèòn

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The shudders are just part of a big piece of molded plastic held in by 4 bolts and is easily removable (if you don't have the lux package and integrated radar sensor). Just remove it and if your Bronco throws a code I would just strip out the motor, plug it back in and zip tie it somewheres out of the way.

Ford Bronco Grille Shutter Delete? Want to maximize cooling PXL_20210815_205139819

Sponsored

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've noticed my 7MT runs at 190F once up to temp, and this is winter/early spring with mixed driving. Isn't that 10-15F higher than what's typically desired?

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've noticed my 7MT runs at 190F once up to temp, and this is winter/early spring with mixed driving. Isn't that 10-15F higher than what's typically desired?
How do you know the MT temp? Or is that the engine temp? That is fine/low for engine temp.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you know the MT temp? Or is that the engine temp? That is fine/low for engine temp.
Regardless, both subjects are off topic from the OP's question and contribute zero to the original thread discussion. But your right, 190deg is perfectly normal.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If emissions were not an issue then you might want coolant emp at room temperature. 200 is not out of range either. And the faster that coolant/engine temperature reaches optimal the less unturned fuel out the tailpipe along with nox and other unnecessary derivatives of the combustion process

And that is the reason for the shutters to help bring Temps up faster. In thev70s we had shutters on the air filter snorkels to prohibit outside air until op temp was reached.

ThevFeds or even CARB did not mandate any particular device not even catalytic converters but all that including the shutters is the way various companies approach the cheap fix.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^ Yep, same reason the engine runs at 1200rpm on cold days, it lowers to normal idle once the cat has gotten to temperature.

Regardless, both subjects are off topic from the OP's question and contribute zero to the original thread discussion. But your right, 190deg is perfectly normal.
This thread is asking about deleting them to lower temps, and I was wondering if coolant temps seemed a bit high. The shutters exist to control engine warm-up and overall temps, so it wasn't off-topic, it was directly related to it.

Another way to lower temps, instead of having a big hole when you delete the flappy-flaps, is to install a lower temp thermostat like a LiverNois or Rat-Stat.
Sponsored