First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've noticed my 7MT runs at 190F once up to temp, and this is winter/early spring with mixed driving. Isn't that 10-15F higher than what's typically desired?
No cars need to run 195 to 210 for maximum combustion.
Running too cool actually makes fuel efficient and power less.
Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is silly. The engineers are actually pretty smart when it comes to shutters. Unless something in the ecu or shutters fail you will have 0 issues with "overheating"
Have an f150 in Florida even towing the truck runs low 200s

Mudlight

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I removed all of my shutters (upper & lower) no issues. I just unplugged the harness and taped them up.

Ford Bronco Grille Shutter Delete? Want to maximize cooling 1681908244470

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is silly. The engineers are actually pretty smart when it comes to shutters. Unless something in the ecu or shutters fail you will have 0 issues with "overheating"
You are soo right. There totally aren't numerous reports of bad engineering, design, or choices made by Ford simply to cheap out or inflate MPG numbers. How silly people want to do the things to their own vehicles that have no bearing on you or your life. How inconsiderate of them asking questions and doing things!

Everyone, listen! Leave Florida man here alone, OK?!

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There totally aren't numerous reports of bad engineering, design, or choices made by Ford simply to cheap out or inflate MPG numbers.
Keep in mind literally every major manufacturer is equipping their ICE cars with active grille shutters. It's been a thing for well over a decade now. Helps the engine warm up faster, better aerodynamics, and have a negligible effect when fully open.

Just as your vehicle will modulate the thermostat as needed, it will modulate the shutters. If it's getting too warm, it opens up.

Sponsored

strunkkl1993

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To be clear I completely agree with your comments and I’ve had no issues with overheating or warm IAT temps when towing in warmer weather or even cold weather or under normal driving conditions.

My issue has been while towing at highway speeds (60mph) with the ambient temperature just less than 70F. At this ambient temperature the shutters are closed. My IAT gets very high at that point and I’ve thrown a check engine light because of the high IAT temps. I don’t have the code handy but I’ll get that and update this comment when I have it. I also do not have a winch or anything blocking the front of the Bronco. If the air shutters opened at 60F ambient I don’t think I would have ever attempted to remove the louvers.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
On my GEN2 F150 Raptor, I also removed the shutters and saw no issues BUT ford pass app gave me a warning. I then pulled the shutter motor and plugged it back in and the warning on the app went away.

I removed all of my shutters (upper & lower) no issues. I just unplugged the harness and taped them up.

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Keep in mind literally every major manufacturer is equipping their ICE cars with active grille shutters. It's been a thing for well over a decade now. Helps the engine warm up faster, better aerodynamics, and have a negligible effect when fully open.

Just as your vehicle will modulate the thermostat as needed, it will modulate the shutters. If it's getting too warm, it opens up.
Oh, absolutely. But those of us who live in places where cold isn't much of an issue (i.e., Texas and the southwest) and those of us who don't care about aerodynamics (brick-esque Bronco owners) we might not see much point or benefit in utilizing the shutters as designed for our intended applications.

By all means run them if you'd like; I don't think anyone has mandated you or anyone else remove them. But to simply provide a blanket "that's silly, the engineers know best for you" is a foolish statement.

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had to delete it for my ADD pro bumper. I just took the whole assembly out unplugged the motor and zip tied the plug/wire out of the way. No issues

Duston@Lethal

Black Diamond
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Duston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535i GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had to delete it for my ADD pro bumper. I just took the whole assembly out unplugged the motor and zip tied the plug/wire out of the way. No issues
Correct, all you have to do it disconnect the motor from the shutter assembly and zip tie it wherever you want.

That being said, they will slightly improve the MPG and help the engine warm up faster like others have stated.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Until it fails, and you warp a head overheating at 0200. Ok, so that was a Jeep, not a Ford, and I was tired, and the entire cooling system on that Jeep was trash...

However, stupid pet tricks to make an engine heat up faster always have the downside of a failure causing an overheat.

It's why a lot of us don't want the car doing ANYTHING automatically. Every electronic gizmo for a 1/10 of an MPG for the EPA is simply another failure point.

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Until it fails, and you warp a head overheating at 0200. Ok, so that was a Jeep, not a Ford, and I was tired, and the entire cooling system on that Jeep was trash...

However, stupid pet tricks to make an engine heat up faster always have the downside of a failure causing an overheat.

It's why a lot of us don't want the car doing ANYTHING automatically. Every electronic gizmo for a 1/10 of an MPG for the EPA is simply another failure point.
Bingo.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Morning, how are ya guys?

Simply put, never use eco mode and wanna maximize cooling when I get my intercooler as I'm doing the stock location, so whats needed, do I need to FORScan it or is it just rip some pieces out but also keep something to trick the unit?

Thanks in Advance
There are some operating conditions such as cool, humid weather, where it's best not to cool the Charge Air Cooler as much. Over-colling it can lead to excess condensation that will accumulate in the cooler until the engine goes to high boost. The water will then be vacuumed out of the cooler and into the intake and cause misfires. There were a lot of problems with that on the early 3.5L Ecoboost F-150s. I know this from experience as a Ford Motor Field Technical guy back when the 3.5L Ecoboost hit the market. I would leave the shutter in place, when it's open it offers very little restriction to airflow.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I understanding that you guys aren't even leaving the bare motor plugged into the harness and it is not throwing a code?

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Am I understanding that you guys aren't even leaving the bare motor plugged into the harness and it is not throwing a code?
I have mine completely unplugged and the harness just tucked away. Mine throws a code but not a CEL.
Sponsored