Sponsored

Guess the badlands isn't as weather rated as I hoped.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn‘t look like it but your phone charger area has a drain plug.

The thing is, looks like everything is working and thats what’s suppose to be water resistant in the Bronco
Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty crazy that a hardcore off-roader can't handle the rain, huh? But I guess kids today can't be without their android auto, so unfortunately I guess we'll just have to learn to live with those pesky, completely avoidable electrical gremlins.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Guess the badlands isn't as weather rated as I hoped. 1654653304420
?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can stand behind the idea that Ford should have done a better job of protecting the electronics from water. In the past Bronco's there weren't enough electronics to worry about water, but today they know that people will get caught in the rain without a roof on. They should make sure things can drain and anything sensitive to water (say connectors) be protected of the type that resists water.

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this should help: www.weatherunderground.com - you can actually get weather forecasts for your area! Amazing, I know - but this is what technology gives us.

Raptor Guy

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor | '11 FLHX | '02 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does anyone make a waterproof dash cover? I think it would be brilliant to have a custom cut cover that you could cover the entire dash and all of the electronics if you were topless.

Reactions: gwp

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I get it, but why bother with sealing the switches and few other components that are in the open, but not the headlight switch or steering wheel. Why put drain holes in the wireless charging tray but not the cup holders. Why design window buttons to act as a cup for liquids...

I'm not asking for waterproof, I'm not asking to spray with any pressure, it's rain... I don't expect airvents to be sealed... but some design thought behind a cohesive environment that might get exposure to fluids would be nice, not just a piece here and there.

It's apparent they wanted to make it appear more resilient than it is.

But, it's the first model year, so instead of bitching about it, I'd rather point it out, and maybe see changes in the next iteration.

I'm also a bit biased with design, faults and redundancy coming from Army Aviation... so yes I can be pretty critical.
I agree 100%. They had to consider tops will be off at times during downpours and just like Harley weather proofed my street glide dash and controls I’d think the broncos could sustain more than immediate shorts.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a huge perk to the soft top. I ride around mostly with the top off, then throw it over when parked (takes 10 seconds), and then throw it all the way back when I leave (15 seconds). I usually keep the soft top windows off to do that on the fly. The other day, we had some surprise rain and I saw it up ahead, and while stopped at a light, put the top over, latched it, light turned green and 15 seconds later it was a total downpour. Went from top off windows down to staying dry in a down pour within a minute. Yes, there might have been a mist in the cargo area without the windows, but all seats and importantly the electricals up front were nice and dry.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is your waterproof testing.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have tons of computer chips for things in the interior of your vehicle. It's not supposed to sit open in the rain.

Jeeps do great with water. Ask my son who has a ton of sitting water in the floor of his Jeep every time in rains because he has to keep replacing the door seals. :LOL:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Haha truthfully, milspec is a joke, I would never wish that upon any one. Have you seen or used military equipment?

Now, aviation is a different story.

And, in regards to the drains... they would obviously need to be routed to an exit point such as an exterior drain or even just to the floor with a channel directed towards the floor drains. Literally pennies worth of a piece of tube on a barbed draincock.
Look the Bronco isn't going to have all weather capability until at least Block 30, and that will only be in the C model Broncos (2 door E5C chassis).

😂

by the way, I have had lots of convertibles, but the windshield rake was always enough to prevent the dash and steering column from the rain for the most part.

Also, highway overpasses are a great substitute for a top in severe weather.

Last edited:

Mikey Bronco

Badlands
First Name
MikeyD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
when you see those ridiculous "warnings" on packages, this is why...

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks for sharing your experience. While I did not expect these Bronco's to function as a submarine, I did expect a bit more rain resistance. I have a 2 door, BL ManSquatch High, and I'll probably change my plans for more open top riding based on your experience.

For those that say it's too hard to do... I think the interior could have been made more water resistant, but it would of course have to cost more.

In comparison, a new high end touring motorcycle -- Harley, Indian, BMW... and others have all sorts of exposed electronics, switchgear and typically a large touch screen and high end audio.... all capable of surviving very long periods in driving rain. There aren't air bags on a bike, but other than sheer switch count, the Bronco is no more complex. So, if they can waterproof a bike, Ford can improve the interior water resistance of a Bronco, if they want to, and if the consumer will be willing to pay.
I also thought it would be more water resistant. I knew the interior couldn't be pressure washed. I do recall early on they were saying the dash and switches were all weather proof. So I was thinking rain would be fine.

I think many of us figured that with wash out floors and MGV it meant it was a boat. Well, apparently not quite! lol

Now to Saran wrap electronic parts and openings.....oh @Mabett ....
I did figure rain would not be an issue. After all my motorcycle has been ridden thousands of miles in the rain, it has all kinds of switches, heated grips, heated seat, sound system and navigation and a horn. Boats has been rained on two. I sure would pressure wash my motorcycles or my boat interior.

Anyone who took the wash out interior to literally mean shoot a hose at all interior parts, including dash and electronics, was always going to be disappointed.
I took it to mean it could be rained on. I could get it wet, not spay with any sort of pressure like a nozzle on a garden hose.

I was planning on leaving top off most the summer, doors too. Just getting a sunbrella sun shade.
Sponsored