Sponsored

Hail-size dent in hood bump -- questions ...

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi gang.

I just got the car washed today, and I was planning to apply my hood-bump decal and my side-stripe decals this weekend.

But on the drive back, I noticed an acorn-size dent in the hood bump. The picture is attached, but it's really hard to photograph, so I drew a box around the area. However, you can definitely see it in the glare of the hood when you're driving -- it's right in front of the driver's seat.

It's ultimately not a huge deal -- just an "annoying if you know it's there" thing. But here are my questions:

(1) Does the hood dent super easily? The guy who hand-dried and hand-cleaned the windshield likely put his elbow on the hood, and though this looks smaller than a dent you'd get from that (this is acorn-size, not elbow-size) ... IDK. I worry that I may dent it when leaning on the hood to apply the decal, if nothing else.

(2) Has anyone done a DIY dent-repair tool such as this before? Or any other recommendations on it? If there were ever a dent that you could knock out with these, I'd think this is the perfect candidate.

(3) Will a matte-black hood-bump decal make this disappear better? Maybe I don't bother removing the dent, in that case. My Bronco is Oxford White.

Thanks for your input.

IMG_8429.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Find you a paintless dent repair guy, I had my bronco for 3 days when it got pummeled by golf ball sized hail. 109 total dents, 80 were in the hood, now I can't find a trace if any of them.
I think I found your thread when I was going to post this. Thanks for the recommendation.

What did they charge?

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bump.

(Or Dent.)

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Depends on your insurance. Might be no cost. Or did you buy the extra cost painless dent rmoveal add-on charge at time of purchase?

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi gang.

I just got the car washed today, and I was planning to apply my hood-bump decal and my side-stripe decals this weekend.

But on the drive back, I noticed an acorn-size dent in the hood bump. The picture is attached, but it's really hard to photograph, so I drew a box around the area. However, you can definitely see it in the glare of the hood when you're driving -- it's right in front of the driver's seat.

It's ultimately not a huge deal -- just an "annoying if you know it's there" thing. But here are my questions:

(1) Does the hood dent super easily? The guy who hand-dried and hand-cleaned the windshield likely put his elbow on the hood, and though this looks smaller than a dent you'd get from that (this is acorn-size, not elbow-size) ... IDK. I worry that I may dent it when leaning on the hood to apply the decal, if nothing else.

(2) Has anyone done a DIY dent-repair tool such as this before? Or any other recommendations on it? If there were ever a dent that you could knock out with these, I'd think this is the perfect candidate.

(3) Will a matte-black hood-bump decal make this disappear better? Maybe I don't bother removing the dent, in that case. My Bronco is Oxford White.

Thanks for your input.

Ford Bronco Hail-size dent in hood bump -- questions ... IMG_8429
That's horrible! Find a good dent repair man but make sure he's good. Make sure he is a paintless dentist repairman.

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think I found your thread when I was going to post this. Thanks for the recommendation.

What did they charge?
I don't think I have a thread about it, so that was probably someone else. Good news is a good repair guy can take care of you in probably a couple hours. Insurance covered all but my $100 deductible, but total repair cost was right at $3900. Took 2 guys a week to complete the repairs. Here's a couple pics of the damage (best I could get), a pic of the damage on the hood marked up during the estimate, the culprit, and a couple pics of the after.

Screenshot_20220821-165618_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-165556_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-165543_Gallery.jpg

20220705_145431.jpg

Screenshot_20220821-140352_Gallery.jpg

20220821_163924.jpg

20220819_142500.jpg

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As far as the hood decal covering it, don't get your hopes up. Ignore the tennis ball, but the dent in the sticker is clearly visible below it.

Screenshot_20220825-215742_Gallery.jpg

Gil Carolina

Big Bend
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't think I have a thread about it, so that was probably someone else. Good news is a good repair guy can take care of you in probably a couple hours. Insurance covered all but my $100 deductible, but total repair cost was right at $3900. Took 2 guys a week to complete the repairs. Here's a couple pics of the damage (best I could get), a pic of the damage on the hood marked up during the estimate, the culprit, and a couple pics of the after.

Ford Bronco Hail-size dent in hood bump -- questions ... Screenshot_20220825-215742_Gallery

Ford Bronco Hail-size dent in hood bump -- questions ... Screenshot_20220825-215742_Gallery

Holy s—t having a panic attack. Glad it worked out.

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As far as the hood decal covering it, don't get your hopes up. Ignore the tennis ball, but the dent in the sticker is clearly visible below it.

That looks like one of those don't hit the end of the garage tennis balls, my dad put one up for my mom when I was a kid and it worked like a charm, dad only had to sheet rock the garage wall twice LOL

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That looks like one of those don't hit the end of the garage tennis balls, my dad put one up for my mom when I was a kid and it worked like a charm, dad only had to sheet rock the garage wall twice LOL
That's exactly what it is, just not for the bronco.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used a Do It Yourself paintless dent repair tool on the door of my 2015 Explorer and was very successful in removing 99% of it even though it was in the factory crease in the door. Became un-noticable unless you knew exactly where to look.

I have two hail dents on my hood that I can live with, because I am afraid to try the DR tool on the aluminum hood. The dents aren’t very visible and a fuck up would be highly visible.

Has anyone used one of these tools on any of the Bronco aluminum body panels?

EDIT:
I carry a cheap “moving blanket” bought at Home Depot (after reading threads about hood hail damage here), to throw over the hood (folded up), in case of hail. Just didn’t get on in time.

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Park it in the sun while it’s still hot down there in TX, after a few hours turn your garden hose on and when the water is cold, hose the dent down.
It may or may not work and if doesn’t, there’s plenty of PDR guys in your state.
GL! 🍻
Sponsored