Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hello all,

I am considering connecting a HAM Radio to one of my AUX switches. The first 2 AUX switches are already used so I would have to use one of the remaining 4. My understanding is that the remaining switches are all using 10 amp fuses is that correct? Does anyone see an issue with using these switches or think it might cause unwanted interference on the radio?

Also, has anyone done this? If so, I would love to know the process you went through to wire it all together since I am very new to this kind of thing.

thanks
Sponsored

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What model radio are you planning to use?

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the Yaesu FTM-400
Others here can correct me but since that radio has a max draw of 12amps you'd need to probably use the switch to activate a relay to power on the radio.

pjstans

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello all,

I am considering connecting a HAM Radio to one of my AUX switches. The first 2 AUX switches are already used so I would have to use one of the remaining 4. My understanding is that the remaining switches are all using 10 amp fuses is that correct? Does anyone see an issue with using these switches or think it might cause unwanted interference on the radio?

Also, has anyone done this? If so, I would love to know the process you went through to wire it all together since I am very new to this kind of thing.

thanks
I have an FTM-300 - went to the local radio install place that installs mobile radios for all the first responders...I did not use the Aux switches...cost a few bucks..but those guys do installs daily

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Others here can correct me but since that radio has a max draw of 12amps you'd need to probably use the switch to activate a relay to power on the radio.

Good advice. I would go further and suggest that you don't even pay attention to the factory listed amp rating of the upfitter switches. I would never run a load through a vehicle switch unless you want to be replacing switches later. Always use the switch to just activate a relay that actually powers your devices. Lots less headaches down the road. The highest rated switch that Ford list is attached to a questionable gauge of wire ,lol.

OP
OP
Liquidtravel

Liquidtravel

Wildtrak
First Name
Layne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good advice. I would go further and suggest that you don't even pay attention to the factory listed amp rating of the upfitter switches. I would never run a load through a vehicle switch unless you want to be replacing switches later. Always use the switch to just activate a relay that actually powers your devices. Lots less headaches down the road. The highest rated switch that Ford list is attached to a questionable gauge of wire ,lol.
that makes a lot of sense., I think I will go straight to the battery. Now, there are 2 batteries in the bronco. I am assuming I would use the main battery, is that correct?

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

that makes a lot of sense., I think I will go straight to the battery. Now, there are 2 batteries in the bronco. I am assuming I would use the main battery, is that correct?
You have a dual battery setup in your Bronco?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You do understand the upfitter switches activate a relay?

Sponsored

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kind of. I understand that is more like a true/ false thing.
People who respond “kind of” when it comes to electricity should either educate themselves or defer to an expert.