Sponsored

Hard top users - what is your plan of attack for summer?

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2D BL that is scheduled, and have a garage. Here is what I am thinking

1. I do not care for the TrekTop for the 2D simply because it does not go all the way down on the 2D. It just looks a little weird on the 2D with everything wrapped up high on the rear rollbar, and the transition from soft to MIC each year looks like a little bit of a pain. I might change my mind, but going to try these other options first.

2. Current plan is to keep top and doors off 90% of the time when possible in spring/summer/fall. Just so much more fun when you are out with top/doors off, especially at night. I drive mostly early mornings and late afternoons/nights

3. Leaning towards top lift pro simply because I do not want to have to constantly back in and line everything up for ceiling mount. It just looks simpler and faster, but I still might do garage hoist

4. If it is cloudy and chance of rain, I am going to just throw the doors on and throw the front 2 MIC pieces in the back seat and hope they fit & do not blow out. I have read on this forum that someone else said the doors with windows up + front only pieces does a pretty good job of blocking rain when you get caught out. I do not know of a good bikini top or any other good options., Backseat will get rained in a lot and I did order lux and hoping speakers, etc. do a good job or handling the water.

5. If it is hot, I am going to try the 2 front MIC pieces plus doors plus AC blasting, but I know from previous Jeeps what the heat+vinyl does to the back of my shirt so not sure how this option will work out.

6. it is raining, really overcast, or really hot, and not in a rush, I will use toplift pro and put MIC+doors back on

7. If it is raining, really overcast/hot, and I am in a rush or just going down to market, I am keeping an old 4runner with liability only insurance for a few months to see how everything works. Just nice to have another option so you can leave Bronco in garage with top/doors off for quick errands when it is raining

It will be interesting to see how everything works out, but I just really like keeping the top and doors all the way off as much as possible when it is nice out.
I think the biggest rain risk (if you have MGV) is electronics and dash. If they made a lightweight vertical Bimini to hang from front and hang down as a shield very little rain would go there even in a downpour.
Sponsored

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the canvas top that came with truck and I was planning to install it soon. However, I was wondering if I should get a mesh one instead to increase the ā€œopenā€ feeling. Iā€™m in CA, so Iā€™m not too concerned about rain randomly coming down. Iā€™m more concerned about the sun. For those of you with the mesh tops, how much sun comes through, can you still get a sunburn? Does it keep you cool, or do you wish you had full coverage?

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is the user here that is making an amazing canvas Bimini top! I leave it on all the time and by removing just a couple of attachment points I can reinstall the hard top no problem. It also does not flap at all up to about 80mph and keeps the water off. Once installed the whole things comes on and off in a few minutes but in the Florida sun I leave it on! Message him! I couldnā€™t be happier after wasting money on 2 prior tops!
IMG_1133.jpeg
Please take a video of this top at 80 MPH. I seriously doubt it doesnā€™t flap at all. At any point over 50-60 MPH the upward force of the low pressure created by the wind passing over the solid surface will cause lift. Also what about the big gap at the front. How does it keep the rain out?

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the canvas top that came with truck and I was planning to install it soon. However, I was wondering if I should get a mesh one instead to increase the ā€œopenā€ feeling. Iā€™m in CA, so Iā€™m not too concerned about rain randomly coming down. Iā€™m more concerned about the sun. For those of you with the mesh tops, how much sun comes through, can you still get a sunburn? Does it keep you cool, or do you wish you had full coverage?
This is Mike with JTops. Here are pics of our shade in black looking up. It blocks 80% of the UV rays. Our Titanium mesh blocks 90% but is slightly less transparent.
You can expect significant drop in heated interior surfaces as well.
IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5417.jpeg
IMG_5426.jpeg

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

watching this thread as well

I just bought the bestop - but had a hard time pulling the trigger due to fastback & no full down
The bestop takes a bit of time to install from what i hear. ideally I run the bronco naked in the summer and some vendor comes along with a soft top that is quick & easy to remove. Summer would alternate between naked & easy soft top then return to hard top in the winter
Also just bought the bestop 4 dr softtop. Still boxed in my garage, having second thoughts about using as I'm not sure how feasible it is to change this top back and forth to the MIC twice a yr. I assume you have to remove the adhesive seals and get new each time??

Anyone have a bestop that they are changing back and forth every winter/summer season?

Sponsored

CVazBraptor

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor, 22 Raptor f-150, 22 C8 3LT HTC
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I live in one of the hottest places in the US... my plan is to turn on the AC and hope it stays cool.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This throws over in seconds, I keep my hard top off more often than not and Iā€™ve proven it waterproofā€¦ comes in handy to park by the beach or when rain might be unpredictableā€¦ here is a pic of it on my 2 door and a link to it on Amazon:
Waterproof Car Covers Replace for 2021 2022 2023 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 6 Layers All Weather Bronco Car Cover with Zipper Door & Windproof Strap for Snow Rain Dust Hail Protection (2 Door) https://a.co/d/2YJfkxF

Like the price on this one. How Much space does it take up when itā€™s in the bag?

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also just bought the bestop 4 dr softtop. Still boxed in my garage, having second thoughts about using as I'm not sure how feasible it is to change this top back and forth to the MIC twice a yr. I assume you have to remove the adhesive seals and get new each time??

Anyone have a bestop that they are changing back and forth every winter/summer season?
The BestTop that I have (assuming yours is the same) has zippers that allow you to get access to all of the latches to take the top off/on. So Iā€™m pretty sure you just keep it on all the time, which I like. I know some folks have put blankets in between the bimini and the HT to act as an insulator against heat/cold and noise, and having those zippers makes it easy.

I havenā€™t installed mine yet either lol, itā€™s still in the box.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is Mike with JTops. Here are pics of our shade in black looking up. It blocks 80% of the UV rays. Our Titanium mesh blocks 90% but is slightly less transparent.
You can expect significant drop in heated interior surfaces as well.
IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5417.jpeg
IMG_5426.jpeg
Thatā€™s definitely very nice looking, and Iā€™ve heard good things on here about your tops. Can I leave it on with the HT? If so, how easy is it to do?

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like the price on this one. How Much space does it take up when itā€™s in the bag?
About the size of a backpack. I have been using it daily, on and off for 2 months now and I can say itā€™s holding up nicely!

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thatā€™s definitely very nice looking, and Iā€™ve heard good things on here about your tops. Can I leave it on with the HT? If so, how easy is it to do?
Watch the videos on our Bronco site. Putting the hard top on over the shade. Very simple to do. We provide zippered access ports to reach the latches.
Forum members get $35 off this month. Code is Bronco35

If you have any other questions we are always here to help.
Mike
www.Broncosunshades.com

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The BestTop that I have (assuming yours is the same) has zippers that allow you to get access to all of the latches to take the top off/on. So Iā€™m pretty sure you just keep it on all the time, which I like. I know some folks have put blankets in between the bimini and the HT to act as an insulator against heat/cold and noise, and having those zippers makes it easy.

I havenā€™t installed mine yet either lol, itā€™s still in the box.
Ah, Iā€™m talking about the full bestop slanted back soft top. Should have been more specific.

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I live in FLA and my dual top bronco is being built right now. Thatā€™s the time of year the hard top goes on and stays on! šŸ˜‚

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Please take a video of this top at 80 MPH. I seriously doubt it doesnā€™t flap at all. At any point over 50-60 MPH the upward force of the low pressure created by the wind passing over the solid surface will cause lift. Also what about the big gap at the front. How does it keep the rain out?
It does not flap at all up to 80mph and thatā€™s been over 300 miles this week with the addition of 30mpg gusts. My wife refused to ride in the Bronco with the flapping noises and now is a happy camper. Happy wife happy life right? And when driving through the rain the canvas sheds most the water keeping the majority of the cabin dry. During 2 separate Florida downpours I got a little water in and around the edges of the cover while driving. I stayed dry except for a little blowing through the 3/4 inch gap in the front at a stop light. Obviously there is still some water getting in but nothing like a mesh top. In the Florida heat and with pop up showers while driving, this suited my needs better than a mesh solution and just to repeat there is no flapping noises up to 80mph. Those 2 things were important to me. Happy to send a video (there are a few at 70plus already posted here btw ) and will do so but seriously donā€™t appreciate someone trying to sell a product challenging an objective user opinion. I never knocked or disparaged your product, canvas is totally different than your solution and just offers another choice.
Sponsored

Last edited: