Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys,

I just got some 3" ditch lights to install, I'm more of a mechanical guy than electrical and just wanted to make sure that I'm hooking up the lights to the correct Aux switches. I got a total of 4 lights and was hoping to install 2 to Aux 2 and the other 2 to Aux 3, one set is yellow and the other is white. Here are the electrical specs for the lights, looks like they only draw 2.7 amps which would be safe to use with the 10 amp aux switches. Is this correct? Thanks for the help, feel like a rookie asking this but want to make sure.

20230329_100829.jpg
Sponsored

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, you should be good to go. Switch 2 is 15A though, if you wanted to reserve it for a higher draw accessory.

If I remember correctly the switches are fused too, so even if something goes wrong it will blow the fuse.

Edit: Yep, fuses 60-65

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Easy math:

Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) * Current (Amps)

I don't know if these specs are per light or for each pair of lights. I'm going to assume it's for each individual light, but you can adjust the math if I guessed wrong.

Looks like the maximum power draw is 36 watts (assuming you got the HP lights). You want two lights per switch... so... 72 watts per switch. The voltage can vary a bit depending on the battery condition and whether the vehicle is running or not. But I like to assume the the vehicle is not running and the battery voltage is somewhat on the low side (11 volts), as that will give you your worse-case values.

So...

Power / Voltage = Current
72 watts / 11 volts = 6.43 amps

OP
OP
Kyleshemesh

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome, thanks a lot for the help guys!

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs