l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, ā€˜93 Land Cruiser, e400 wagon, GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
T
given that laundry list, a low technology toyota land cruiser or nissan patrol would be at the top of my wish list.

given all the electronic doodads in the bronco, and low level
of support currently available in costa rica, importing a relatively high tech bronco seems like a bad idea.
This is why I discounted the Defender. the Bronco is low tech in comparison to some top range Defenders.

and I should have said I have a Toyota diesel and I am interested in bringing in an interesting 2nd/3rd fun car With this rare opportunity to import for free.
Sponsored

OP
OP
l00semarble

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I've been to CR a lot and have a friend that lives there (Dominical). Find a Toyota Hilux or something cheaper, low tech, I would not take a Bronco there.
I appreciate all the advice about why not to bring a Bronco. Iā€™m familiarwitht the challenges of living in Costa Rica. I have a bullet proof Land Bruiser diesel.

letā€™s just say that if I decided to be dumb and bring a Bronco how should I spec it. The thread is not developing the way I was hopingā€¦.lol.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I appreciate all the advice about why not to bring a Bronco. Iā€™m familiarwitht the challenges of living in Costa Rica. I have a bullet proof Land Bruiser diesel.

letā€™s just say that if I decided to be dumb and bring a Bronco how should I spec it. The thread is not developing the way I was hopingā€¦.lol.
Since you have experience living in Costa Rica and have a bullet proof Land Bruiser, shouldnā€™t you be the telling us how to rig out a Bronco for Costa Rica?

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd also be very hesitant to take a rolling computer there. I'd probably go for a nicely built older Wrangler or Landrover w/o screens and all that tech stuff to have a fun roof off vehicle. Or maybe even a SxS or something like that. And bring lots of spare parts and some tools.

I'd also not trust the MGV seats to actually be water proof if it rains a lot, and in a humid environment they'll never dry, just see more problems with the sensors in the seats and all that. I think this is a very risky idea with a potential very high price.

Also with tires, check what you can buy there, you can get just about anything here, in other countries just getting 35 inch tires can be a nightmare.

Good luck with your adventure though, if you do take a Bronco, please share some photos/videos here sometime!

Edit to add: if you do want to do this, I'd get a basequatch with the aux switches or level up a bit for lockers, avoid all the stuff in high/lux.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Im a n00b just getting interested in a Bronco after realizing that it may be the best vehicle I can purchase for my needs. Iā€™m thinking about placing an order when possible for a 2022.

Here is the dealā€¦.I am moving to Costa Rica in next 1-2 years. They recently announced a new import tax exemption for 2 vehicles if/when you apply for residency. This is a big deal because taxes are minimum of 52% of the value of vehicle. A $50k Bronco would cost $75k In Costa Rica. Which means if I bring down a $50k Bronco it will be worth $75k locally when I get it there.

so here are some buying considerations that may differ quite a bit from many here. Just thought it may be a fun exercise to have those who know more about the various configurations and who have gone round and round with buying choices to help me.

I want to spec best choices from Ford but I will also add any aftermarket stuff that makes sense. I need to get everything done that I may want because once I ship the car mods will be 100x more difficult Down there.

• my house is in Uvita in the remote South Pacific area. To get to house requires a high clearance 4x4. The road up is a steep climb from beach to 1,400ft elevation. Road is rough and frequently eroded With ruts and large loose stones
  • Bronco will be offroaded as a daily driver. Water crossings are frequent. Mud/sand a daily part of driving just to get places.
  • I will go ā€œwheelingā€ for fun but also need off-road ability just to explore and get around. driving up to house is off-roading but it becomes just a chore, not a recreation. Rutted, big stones, shaky/jiggly ride would like to be as comfortable at highest speeds possible.
  • I want the car to be a beast with plenty of overhead in capability because you can get into situations down there that you have to get out of by yourself.
  • Jungle wheeling is lower speed trail work, water crossings, mud etc. I wont be crawling rock gardens or running Baja style high speed.
  • roads are very steep and narrow so power (actually torque) is important.
  • since bronco will be imported to Costa Rica no warranty will be in effect
  • Parts and service will be very difficult to find. The Most reliable drivetrain and most durable configuration is desirable.
  • I am a huge fan a manual transmissions Just because I enjoy them. will prefer manual but seems it may limit other choices
  • I would always choose more power over less all other things being equal.
  • purchase price and fuel economy not important. Aftermarket expenses not important. Iā€™ll spend what I need to to get the right car for the job.
  • mostvdriving will be done below 45 mph
  • i will run without doors and side windows most of the time but will want top for shade much of the time.
  • I will likely let rain hit the car without doors and side windows when it rains which it does biblically in rainy season but not too often in dry season.
  • in dry season dust can be extensive.
  • will be parked indoors at house
  • need secure lockable storage for beach etc ( aftermarket?)
  • would like Safari style roof rack/basket maybe with pelican case bolted on to keep recovery gear. will frequently haul surf boards and maybe kayaks etc
  • need winch
  • need armor on front, rear, undersides and rock sliders
  • ill go nuts with lighting. I can run anything I want there. Will do huge Rigid light bar and etc.
  • 35ā€ min tires but probably will go bigger with true mud tires
  • lockers mandatory
  • prefer 4 door
  • would like tow hitch for utility trailer and maybe wave runners.
so I know this is a long first post. What do you think? i know the ā€˜22 order guides are not out yet but what should I order?

Black Diamond 321A (Marine Grade Vinyl + Rock sliders and bash plates + Rubber floors, leave the drains open) Black Diamond is pre-wired for all the crazy lighting you want.
Upgrade to Mod Bumper (now a 2022 option)
2.7L (Power)
Sasquatch Package (Best gearing + 35" tires + F/R lockers)
MIC Top (Need the mount points for roof rack stuff)
Tow Hitch
I'm told the factory winch is a decent one, but an after market solution would likely be available.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
well already have bulletproof Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel there totally rigged for duty. If I have to tow the Ford or if it breaks I have a backup.

thanks for reply.

E6708705-EA9D-4EE7-B7C8-6687FEDFB7B6.jpeg
So you want a redundant vehicle just in case? Sounds like you have more money than you need. Iā€™ll only charge you 100$ an hour to help you spec and order it out.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd go Base 4DR Sasquatch. While you mentioned that you like manuals, I'd go with the 2.7 and the auto for the torque. I Base 4DR Sasquatch with the 2.3 and auto and I find it to be fine for my uses. But with the mud and hills and rutted narrow roads I'd go with the 2.7.

Sponsored

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hate to say it because I know you, like the rest of us, would love to finally take delivery of our Bronco, but for Cost Rica....wait until you get there and buy a Suzuki Jimny. Looks like a smaller version of the Bronco 2 door with solid axles and lockers. It won't have the power of the Bronco but it will have the capability to get you anywhere you need to go in CR and it will fit the size of the roads there much better. Better gas mileage too.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In that case, umm......definitely MGV, probably the Black Diamond Sasquatch once it's available in manual and 2.7, you are talking mostly water crossings, dirt, mud in rainy season. I'm sure a snorkel will be available through Ford soon or definitely aftermarket.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldnā€™t be going for a highly computerized vehicle. Low tech land cruiser or something of that nature.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Ok so at this point you have the consensus on opting for something else. But to your point, IF you are going to bring one down to backstop your toyota, I would start the recommendations with these. I would get either the black dimond or badlands with wash out interiors and MGV. I would equip it with the SASQ package and the 2.7 liter engine. The top is tricky if you are dealing with stuff that you want to transport (need the roof rack in some form or another), requires the hard top. But you give up the flexibility to open and close the soft top frequently in that rainy environment. Security: I would order the four door for max load space and get the front console and rear area vaults plus the cargo deluxe raised lid container which brings additional cargo security and maximum MOLLE configuration. There are a boat load of ford or AM accessories for you to review for what is best for your needs, recovery gear, compressors, jump cable gear, gas cans, etc.

OP
OP
l00semarble

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Since you have experience living in Costa Rica and have a bullet proof Land Bruiser, shouldnā€™t you be the telling us how to rig out a Bronco for Costa Rica?
Oh my god. I guess I don't have a feel for this forum yet. I'm a Bronco n00b. The options/packages are overwhelming. Just thought it would be fun and interesting for those that have figured out all the nuances to suggest how to best configure a Bronco.

Does anyone want to play my game?
Sponsored