Sponsored

HELP!! Need to work through locker or no locker!!

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay...first off, I will completely admit that I'm one of those that will rarely use their vehicle off road let alone anywhere near the vehicles ability in its Base form. I also admit that I love the look of the Sasquatch package, but realize that it'll purchased for the look and not the ability. It's going to be 98% street and 2% dirt (think dirt roads and crappy campground access roads and sites). Maybe even some sand? We get snow and slush and ice part of the year so 4WD is nice for that.

The big question.....how good/bad would lockers be on the STREET for snow/slush and just general extra traction? I'll drive it more like a rally vehicle than as a rock or mud buggy. Then that would also morph into tire/wheel combo that would look proportional but be better for faster street type driving.

My initial though is to go with aftermarket LSD front(?) and rear diffs and no bigger than 31x10.5's. Most likely on 17s for the lower profile sidewall.

What is everyone's thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay...first off, I will completely admit that I'm one of those that will rarely use their vehicle off road let alone anywhere near the vehicles ability in its Base form. I also admit that I love the look of the Sasquatch package, but realize that it'll purchased for the look and not the ability. It's going to be 98% street and 2% dirt (think dirt roads and crappy campground access roads and sites). Maybe even some sand? We get snow and slush and ice part of the year so 4WD is nice for that.

The big question.....how good/bad would lockers be on the STREET for snow/slush and just general extra traction? I'll drive it more like a rally vehicle than as a rock or mud buggy. Then that would also morph into tire/wheel combo that would look proportional but be better for faster street type driving.

My initial though is to go with aftermarket LSD front(?) and rear diffs and no bigger than 31x10.5's. Most likely on 17s for the lower profile sidewall.

What is everyone's thoughts?
Just did a little searching and it appears that the Dakar style races limit 4WD vehicles to 910mm max height on tire/wheel combos. That's 31". BFG markets a 245/80-16 for the race.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what I understand, you can't use lockers, especially front lockers unless there is a ton of give in you traction. To much grip and if you try and turn, you'll bind things up.

So if you are being honest, and snow, slush on street is your primary thing, then you will never use the lockers especially the front.

What you do want is the Advanced 4x4 with 4A though.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Be careful driving a bronco rally style as I can see it flipping really really easy! You need to make sure to upgrade all the suspension parts along with the tires to take corners even at semi quick speeds. It’s a SUV not a WRX so just keep that in mind. With that being said lockers in your situation I would suggest just going with a rear electronic locker or LSD. You will most likely never need a front locker unless you go serious off roading.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I understand, you can't use lockers, especially front lockers unless there is a ton of give in you traction. To much grip and if you try and turn, you'll bind things up.

So if you are being honest, and snow, slush on street is your primary thing, then you will never use the lockers especially the front.

What you do want is the Advanced 4x4 with 4A though.
100% this. Not only do you not need them for your use case, you actually *shouldnt* use them.

That said, having you vehicle equipped with them and never using them won’t hurt anything. If a package or spec you want ends up coming with them, or you want to spend your money to say you have them, you should feel okay about it.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on what you describe you do NOT need lockers. I always say that if someone has to ask if they need lockers then they don't. I have lockers on my wrangler and rear locker in my truck and live in CO, on pavement including winters, I have never engaged my lockers on either vehicle. Lockers are for trails more than just dirt trails, think rock crawling where you have 1 tire on the axle in the air.

As a matter of fact, I wheel my truck pretty hard including rock crawl and have never engaged the rear locker, 4H and 4L have worked well enough.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Another thing to think about, and we will not know until B&P and more tech becomes open to the masses, is if Ford has LSD as standard in these machines or if they are going to do the "hi tech cheat" and use the computer to activate the brake on the slipping wheel to act as an LSD. In any case, the locker button on the dash will not be used during regular pavement driving.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

plus i believe the lockers will automatically disengage at a certain mph anyways depending on if your in 4L or 4H/4H. I have a rear one in my F150, but barely ever use it, I would put in in 4x4.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Based on what you describe you do NOT need lockers. I always say that if someone has to ask if they need lockers then they don't. I have lockers on my wrangler and rear locker in my truck and live in CO, on pavement including winters, I have never engaged my lockers on either vehicle. Lockers are for trails more than just dirt trails, think rock crawling where you have 1 tire on the axle in the air.

As a matter of fact, I wheel my truck pretty hard including rock crawl and have never engaged the rear locker, 4H and 4L have worked well enough.
Thanks for all the quick responses. This was what I was thinking.

Just get the outerbsnks.
I was actually thinking Big Bend, maybe with the 4.27 E-Locker in the rear. That would be more for the gearing than anything. Plus I like the looks of the BB over the Base and it opens the color options I want.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
plus i believe the lockers will automatically disengage at a certain mph anyways depending on if your in 4L or 4H/4H. I have a rear one in my F150, but barely ever use it, I would put in in 4x4.
You know that it took me over a 1.5yrs of running difficult trails to even realize I'm supposed to pull the dial out to engage the rear locker? Id been just putting it in 4H and 4L and hadn't encountered issues which is why I don't even bother with the locker at this point but at least I know how to use it now. My jeep I just press a button.

ForestBronco

Badlands
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never use a locker on pavement. Things break when they lose traction and then suddenly find it. The only time a locker would help with snow is if you’re stuck in deep snow. All they do for slippery conditions is make them worse.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You know that it took me over a 1.5yrs of running difficult trails to even realize I'm supposed to pull the dial out to engage the rear locker? Id been just putting it in 4H and 4L and hadn't encountered issues which is why I don't even bother with the locker at this point but at least I know how to use it now. My jeep I just press a button.
I was fortune to have a sales rep that actually explained it to me, not sure I would have found it in the 300 page manual its like a hidden feature. Also putting the truck in tow behind mode, that one i even better..

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Never use a locker on pavement. Things break when they lose traction and then suddenly find it. The only time a locker would help with snow is if you’re stuck in deep snow. All they do for slippery conditions is make them worse.
I was also wondering about the slippery conditions part. I know 4A would be the best solution, but would 4H with open diffs be useable?
Sponsored