David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trying to decide on the performance tune for my 2023 2.3L Black Diamond. Can someone that has done the tune help me to understand what I will notice different from running in sport mode as is and after the tune. Thanks. Essentially, why not just run in sport mode and skip the tune?
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sport Mode does not give you any more horsepower or base performance.

All it really does is make the throttle touchier, and change your shift points on an automatic. (holds gears longer, and downshifts more aggressively)

A tune will change your ECU parameters.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Trying to decide on the performance tune for my 2023 2.3L Black Diamond. Can someone that has done the tune help me to understand what I will notice different from running in sport mode as is and after the tune. Thanks. Essentially, why not just run in sport mode and skip the tune?
The tune makes the Bronco so much better to drive with improved shift points so no lag and more horsepower especially in the 2.3. Sport mode to me makes for a touchy pedal and is clunky on the shifting and revs. Since the tune I don't even think about sports mode.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drive with sport mode and a tune, only way drive it. Dont see why you’d want it in anything less on road

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tune makes the Bronco so much better to drive with improved shift points so no lag and more horsepower especially in the 2.3. Sport mode to me makes for a touchy pedal and is clunky on the shifting and revs. Since the tune I don't even think about sports mode.
This!

Sponsored

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would love to make that comparison but my base doesn't have sport mode (it should) and I can't add it via Forscan. I can add mud/ruts with Forscan and according to the digits in the module it should have sport mode but it doesn't. Haven't figured that out yet.

At any rate the tune is worth it just for the rev matching. Doubt I would even use sport mode but I would like it to be there.

OP
OP

Whodat

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok, next question. Do I buy the tune and bring it to the dealership to install? Or, do I buy the tune and do it myself? It seems very basic.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, next question. Do I buy the tune and bring it to the dealership to install? Or, do I buy the tune and do it myself? It seems very basic.
If you do the procal have ford install it to document warranty. Gonna cost a couple bucks.

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would go another direction on a 23 anyway. The tune and sport seem 100% equal. Gas mileage seens the same but your stuck buying super unleaded. I would go for the piggy back that is not subject to epa crap. A dealer can refuse a warranty for any reason and having them install it just means it may be done incorrectly.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Whodat

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would go another direction on a 23 anyway. The tune and sport seem 100% equal. Gas mileage seens the same but your stuck buying super unleaded. I would go for the piggy back that is not subject to epa crap. A dealer can refuse a warranty for any reason and having them install it just means it may be done incorrectly.
So the ProCal tune doesn't change anything performance wise on a 2023? What do you mean by "piggy back"? Sorry for my ignorance on this issue. @LethalPerformance

WoolyBugger

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline / 2dr. Base 7 spd. EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So the ProCal tune doesn't change anything performance wise on a 2023? What do you mean by "piggy back"? Sorry for my ignorance on this issue. @LethalPerformance
My experience with the Ford Performance Tune has been positive. 2023 Base 2 door manual, Yes it requires 93 Octane fuel but performance is quite peppy and the rev match on the manual trans is a plus as well. Much improved over Sport Mode. Performance Tune + Sport Mode is fun....

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would agree rev match is good and these tranmissions are clunky.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Tune is a seat of the pants stronger feel that stock Sport. It makes your new Normal equivalent to the old Sport, but with much better shifting characteristics too. Tune + Sport = you not getting dusted by mini-vans at stoplights anymore.

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
To me, after the 2.3 tune, normal mode is just like sport prior to the tune but way better and smoother shift points. And then Sport mode with the tune is like going plaid (yep, Spaceballs reference)
Sponsored