First Name
Marcie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge ram 3500 Dually
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I have read threads and even posted questions, we decided on a tire and then the company discontinued that model. Back to drawing board.
so now I think I have th ones we need but need opinions. It’s between these two sizes

falken LT285 70R17 116R C1 BSW
Or the. LT285 70R17 126S E1 BSW
Both AT4

we can not go bigger than a 33” tire that has been eatablished
2023 Big Bend 2.7L no lift and crash bars still installed:
Is the C1 or E1 the right tire, even Falken couldn’t suggest. Thank you
Sponsored

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

C1

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the C1 or E1 the right tire
Yes.
😉

Load Range C is what the larger factory tires are.
Load Range E is extremely popular for offroading because they are pretty heavy duty ... or just because that might be all that is offered in a given size.

Generally speaking, the E will be a stiffer tire and will ride as such, but my experience has been that tire pressure plays a larger roll in that.

My factory BFG's, 285/70-17 (C) (33") are supposed to be at 39psi.
At 39psi, they ride like absolute crap and the traction is not the greatest on wet roads.
Air down to 35 psi .... turns into a GREAT tire. Great ride, great traction in wet/snow.

Some brands also have a 33" in SL rating also. The smaller tires from the factory carry a SL rating, so it'll work. That ride will be plusher and often the rubber compound is softer as well, leading to better winter and wet traction, but faster wear.

I'm tempted to try some SL's, I prefer the extra traction over the high mileage/high load compounds.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most people will say C rating - it will be a (marginally) lighter tire, and it will handle being aired down for better contact for off roading. But it will be more suceptible to sidewall cuts, and you aren't going to tow/haul with it (not that you are doing that in a Bronco anyway)

Vise-versa -- An E rating will have a stiffer side wall. That means more resistance to it getting cut and will hold up to more two/hauling weight, but it also means (marginally) stiffer ride, it won't air down for contact as well and will weigh more.

Here's a better read if you want more info (and a source)
https://www.americastire.com/learn/load-range-load-index?storeCode=1752

Sponsored
OP
OP

MDeWolf

Badlands
First Name
Marcie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge ram 3500 Dually
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s so confusing as Falken doesn’t seem to fit those descriptions for the size needed
Towards the bottom, the C rated have a “duraspec” 6 ply that weighs a whopping 65lbs
The “standard” 6 ply is 58lbs
Then the E rated 10 ply “HD” is only 53lbs but it is a slightly smaller tire

the duraspec supposedly has the plus up the side for a safer/more durable sidewall. Which s ema safer however that is a 10lb per tire jump in weight. A 2.7L engine might lose too many mpg?

and this is why we have been so confused

IMG_2785.jpeg

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weight was what kept me from Falken when I was buying tires for my Big Bend. They were a lot heavier than every other option it seemed. But people LOVE them. You will most certainly see some MPG hit going with heavier tires. If you do more daily driving than off-roading I’d probably stay away from E even if they are lighter (which is weird and seems to defy logic).

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I have read threads and even posted questions, we decided on a tire and then the company discontinued that model. Back to drawing board.
so now I think I have th ones we need but need opinions. It’s between these two sizes

falken LT285 70R17 116R C1 BSW
Or the. LT285 70R17 126S E1 BSW
Both AT4

we can not go bigger than a 33” tire that has been eatablished
2023 Big Bend 2.7L no lift and crash bars still installed:
Is the C1 or E1 the right tire, even Falken couldn’t suggest. Thank you
I think @Tdub0527 is on the right track. The LT 285/70R17 C1 will be the better option if you are not spending a whole lot of time off road!

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless you plan to do serious rock crawling and need to air your tires way down, never buy a load range E tire for a light vehicle like a bronco. I purchased them because they were the only tire in the size I wanted with solid white letters otherwise I never would’ve put them on my bronco. I will say that they ride just as good as those awful Goodyear tires that come on the Sasquatch package.

OP
OP

MDeWolf

Badlands
First Name
Marcie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge ram 3500 Dually
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would loading the vehicle down with the approximate weight the tires will add give an idea of MPG change?

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My factory BFG's, 285/70-17 (C) (33") are supposed to be at 39psi.
At 39psi, they ride like absolute crap and the traction is not the greatest on wet roads.
Air down to 35 psi .... turns into a GREAT tire. Great ride, great traction in wet/snow.
This is absolutely great advice for running the K02's! I hated them at first and did the same.
Sponsored