Keary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 4 door, and want to lift the top using the half rack itself.

Does anyone else do this?

short rack / half rack / hoist / lift / winch
Sponsored

DVO50

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel, GMC 1500 3.0 Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use a Hooke Road half rack and a hoist to lift the rear clam shell to a DIY wall rack. I do use towels between the roof rack and top to minimize any scratches.
Ford Bronco Hoist by a Half-Rack? 20230615_162747

OP
OP
Kearyclose

Kearyclose

Badlands
First Name
Keary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a Hooke Road half rack and a hoist to lift the rear clam shell to a DIY wall rack. I do use towels between the roof rack and top to minimize any scratches.
Good setup. I’ve not seen a vertical wall mount like that before. My garage ceiling is tall enough for me to lift straight up and it be out of the way. Thanks for sharing you lift it from the Hooke Road rack.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hadn't heard of the Hook Road half rack - looks pretty nice and can you remove the 2nd row "targa top" with it on? Looks like it overlaps a bot, but should be OK. With snowboard season almost upon us, my want for a half rack is going to become a need ;)

DVO50

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a better view of my wall rack. The three removable panels are stored on the top in Ford bags, and the clam shell is on the lower. The arms are removable when not in use. The canvas tarp covering everything is to keep mud daubers out. I would like to get a custom bag made to store the clam shell in.
Ford Bronco Hoist by a Half-Rack? 20230615_105229
Ford Bronco Hoist by a Half-Rack? 20230615_134832

Sponsored

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bought the Hooke Road halvsie so that I could do just that and have some nice attachment points for a hoist. Sadly the rack just sucked. It transferred some nasty reverberations inside the cabin as-if i was driving with just the front window open and you can get that air pressure issue in the back. There were a number of us on another thread that were experiencing the same thing but we could never fix it.

I’d love to be able to use the rack like you mentioned, do you have any reverberations or other sound issues?

There were some folks who thought that holding the rack in midair to the attachment slots wasn’t a good idea. Ti me it seemed like it would be great, but I never really got to try it out.

OP
OP
Kearyclose

Kearyclose

Badlands
First Name
Keary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the Hooke Road halvsie so that I could do just that and have some nice attachment points for a hoist. Sadly the rack just sucked. It transferred some nasty reverberations inside the cabin as-if i was driving with just the front window open and you can get that air pressure issue in the back. There were a number of us on another thread that were experiencing the same thing but we could never fix it.

I’d love to be able to use the rack like you mentioned, do you have any reverberations or other sound issues?

There were some folks who thought that holding the rack in midair to the attachment slots wasn’t a good idea. Ti me it seemed like it would be great, but I never really got to try it out.
Thanks for sharing. I haven’t bought a rack yet. I was hesitant about Hooke road after reading some complaints. I agree with you the mounting points would distribute the weight well for an easy hoist (on the 4 door)

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just buyer beware, you basically can't return anything to them - or at least if you do ya pay a steep price. I do love their shelf for the cargo area, its great!

DVO50

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use the rack for lifting purposes only (with towels between rack and top for protection). Once it's on the wall rack all tension is let off if the lifting straps. I remove the rack after putting the top back on, so I have no idea about the wind noise.
Sponsored