Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Q & A session

@Jordan Parker - The new robust steering gear that's now on the Badlands and Wildtrak for 24 model year... is that the same steering gear that was previously included as a part of HOSS 3.0 or something totally different?

Matt Winter said:
That is the same robust steering gear from HOSS 3.0. We took feedback from customers, and now that's included on the Badlands and Sasquatch vehicles. So we want customers feel confident out there on the trail, and provide just a little bit stronger more robust experience. So now you have a little bit more vehicle that you can use, and really put the Bronco through it's paces, as it's meant to be, and have a lot of fun with it out there on the trail.

Bronco Brand Team Q&A — HOSS 3.0 steering confirmed standard on 24MY Badlands AND Sasquatch | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community
They should retrofit all Squatch, BL, WT, etc models. :LOL:

I thought Wildtrak already had this steering rack? 2022.5 w/the HOSS 3.0 package and standard on 2023 right?
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought Wildtrak already had this steering rack? 2022.5 w/the HOSS 3.0 package and standard on 2023 right?

Correct. I was inferring to the previous years. IMO all those models should have received the rack from the start. If it had 35's or a front locker it should have got the Hoss 3.0.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With this now seemly confirmed, would Badlands owners w/o SAS now be able to run 37” tires with a higher level of confidence?

From what the readings suggest and I’m certain YMMV that the 2.0 rack was a concern once people moved to larger than 35”.. Especially if running upgraded tire rods.
Higher level of confidence yes (it also has the FP tie rods, which are stouter). That's still up to a point, though. People have cracked the HD rack housing, so it depends on what you're doing.

The Sasquatch was designed around 35's, so 37's are heavier and taller, and upgrades to suspension geometry for ride etc. can still cause failures if you're doing hardcore crawling or at least a lot of wheel binding/drop scenarios.

If you're only rolling on concrete and smooth asphalt/improved gravel, I doubt you'll have a problem. If you're going 37's and going to Barnwell Mountain and tackling midgrade and above, especially when it's wet/muddy, you could still damage the housing and CV axles.

So more confidence, but not like if you go RCV axles and 74Weld billet rack. YMMV.

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Higher level of confidence yes (it also has the FP tie rods, which are stouter). That's still up to a point, though. People have cracked the HD rack housing, so it depends on what you're doing.

The Sasquatch was designed around 35's, so 37's are heavier and taller, and upgrades to suspension geometry for ride etc. can still cause failures if you're doing hardcore crawling or at least a lot of wheel binding/drop scenarios.

If you're only rolling on concrete and smooth asphalt/improved gravel, I doubt you'll have a problem. If you're going 37's and going to Barnwell Mountain and tackling midgrade and above, especially when it's wet/muddy, you could still damage the housing and CV axles.

So more confidence, but not like if you go RCV axles and 74Weld billet rack. YMMV.
It’s the same rack setup as what is on the bronco raptor which is on 37” so it’s already designed for it

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s the same rack setup as what is on the bronco raptor which is on 37” so it’s already designed for it
I'm not talking about the rack, which I know. I'm talking about the suspension/axles/etc. The non-Raptor is not engineered for 37's and putting a new rack and tie rods alone in doesn't change that.

Sponsored

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So can we purchase a 3.0 rack from Ford for $800 and the dealerships do the install?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So can we purchase a 3.0 rack from Ford for $800 and the dealerships do the install?
Depends on the service department. Some will go out on a limb and do the install with a WT (or 24 BL/Sas now?) VIN, some won't cuz the computer doesn't agree it's an option. I figure it's like 80/20. Note that a lot of service departments refuse to do it because of warranty considerations, and if Ford denies it, they then have to get you to pay if there's an issue. So it's CYA not to, but not impossible at all.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is awesome. Badlands non-Sas is my favorite trim.

I wonder if Ford will make it DIYable to swap in the 3.0 for earlier MYs?

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks. I have a 22 WT with 37s. I have some icon tie rods, but haven't put them on yet because of the 2.0 rack. Definitely want to upgrade to the 3.0 rack....just gotta find someone to install it. Guess I'll be checking with my local services departments :)

Depends on the service department. Some will go out on a limb and do the install with a WT (or 24 BL/Sas now?) VIN, some won't cuz the computer doesn't agree it's an option. I figure it's like 80/20. Note that a lot of service departments refuse to do it because of warranty considerations, and if Ford denies it, they then have to get you to pay if there's an issue. So it's CYA not to, but not impossible at all.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. I have a 22 WT with 37s. I have some icon tie rods, but haven't put them on yet because of the 2.0 rack. Definitely want to upgrade to the 3.0 rack....just gotta find someone to install it. Guess I'll be checking with my local services departments :)
If you have a WT, you might be able to according to the computer since those had the option. Some might still balk, but in practice, you're at a better advantage than me (BL Sas) especially since if the dealership does it, it'll be easier to get it covered by warranty if there's an issue later.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I really cant believe how fast it came....so fast i might not be able to financially handle it sadly
Same here. I was expecting it closer to summer and it should be arriving today, or has already arrived.

Alpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 2 Door Rubicon, '22 BMW S1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of us waiting on our trucks....when was your truck built (blend date) and where was your truck delivered to? Our antsy folks (me included) will want to to use that data to poorly estimate our deliveries....
Blend date 1-10 and shipped yesterday, roughly two weeks by rail a few hours west of St Louis. It will jump on a semi for a hour or so. Roughly 10 hours from factory by vehicle. Dealership is large volume, was adamant they don't really miss. They said 26th. Hope that helps.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Jordan Parker So we want customers feel confident out there on the trail, and provide just a little bit stronger more robust experience. So now you have a little bit more vehicle that you can use, and really put the Bronco through it's paces, as it's meant to be, and have a lot of fun with it out there on the trail
Includes front/rear lockers and an electronic swaybar disconnect, two years later upgrades the steering to what was already around, "now its ready for trails"

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 Steering Rack on 2024 Bronco Badlands! 1705108064833

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Throwing a wet blanket on this happy little parade, the 3.0 rack isn't that big of an upgrade from the 2.0 and the raptor rack is just a 3.0 rack with slightly longer tie rods. The housing is still a weak link, it's only marginally better. Some of the spots that the 2.0 failed aren't really improved on the 3.0, a few spots aren't strengthened at all, and the ones that have been are modest and were primarily meant to handle the additional motor torque rather than addressing deficiencies in strength. Places like the preload adjustment and end bearings are where the failures occur in 2.0 housings and they're mostly left unaddressed. You can somewhat address those shortcomings with better bushings, but it's a stopgap measure as anyone who watched the BB saga unfold could tell you, and there's nothing you can do about the preload adjustment area. The 3.0 tie rods are certainly stronger, even though they don't necessarily look like they are when compared side by side with 2.0 tie rods, but they can be used effectively even with a 74Weld rack. Upgrading the tie rods on a 3.0 to some fancy aftermarket ones isn't actually necessary because you're still more likely to break the housing before tweaking the tie rods.

Where the 2.0 will fail with 35's and modest wheeling, I would rate the 3.0 for solid wheeling on 35's, modest wheeling on 37's, and if you're going with 40's you better know what you're doing or baby it (and be prepared to replace the rack anyway). The 74Weld will handle bashing with 40's like BB was trying to do with his. Most of the mechanical components are identical between a 2.0 and 3.0 aside from the motor, and the 74Weld rack still uses the same 2.0 rack that the 3.0 does, so really it's all about the housing. Just keep all that in mind when you're looking at upgrading your rack or your tires to temper your expectations.
Sponsored