Sponsored

How do you test the Automatic-Emergency-Braking?

ISeeTheFuture

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I’ve had my (Mid pacakage) Bronco about 2 months now and put about 1500 miles on it (highway and in town). I’ve noticed all of the driver assist features working: lane keeping, attention, etc — except for the AEB. I’ve never had it trigger, and as my wife tells me, I’m a ”close driver”.

Ive got it configured to the most sensitive setting just so that it’ll do something, but so far - nothing. Is there a way to “test” it without ramming my Bronco into a wall? I really don’t want to discover it’s not working when I really need it to work.
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, wondering that, too. Perhaps I'll just follow you and watch. lol On my wife's RAV, you get this bright red flash on the screen first, and then it goes to work if you don't brake. When I pull up to a wall, the Bronco does nothing, perhaps because it's too slow?

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure there is any great way to test it. Lol, Maybe a sheet or pillow swinging down in front of the truck or something like that if someone really wants to test it

My sensitivity is set to medium I believe. I've only had it warn me once. I was going about 40 and was going to pass a car slowing to turn left. Before I moved right enough to clear the car it was warning me. Our speed difference was probably 30 mph. It never applied any brakes.

I've noticed the Ford system is much less intrusive than the Subaru system, which is the only other driving assistance I've used. I like that but some may not.

Also, I do not think the system is designed to stop you at slow speeds, such as slowing down to park at a wall. That's when the parking sensors turn on.

Large walls and large vehicles blocking the view can also cause the system to not work correctly as it has no reference except the one large flat plane in its view.

Go Devils

Outer Banks
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve had it alert me a few times. Both were under acceleration. Once when I was planning to go around a turning vehicle. Also happened when pedestrian was in close proximity. Once you tap the brakes, it seems to disengage. Definitely works!

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It usually activates under accel. Car in front is doing 30, you jump from 30-50 you should get the red screen. Seen it once on mine so far. Does not lock the brakes up like a gm does.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Come down to California and hangout in the right lane and just wait for someone to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make an exist.... shouldn't take too long happens like every 5-10mins here

Definitely works, surprised the hell out of me, I literally looked down to put my phone in the cup holder just as someone decided to make 90⁰ right turn from the left lane across 3 lanes into an alley on Coronado.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had it pop in a Jeep I was driving. Scared the living daylights out of me. Not sure I would want to test this. I can say I get the warning a lot when I take off-ramps. I taught motorcycle classes for years. We teach to accelerate through a turn. My Bronco doesn’t like that technique.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Come down to California and hangout in the right lane and just wait for someone to cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make an exist.... shouldn't take too long happens like every 5-10mins here

Definitely works, surprised the hell out of me, I literally looked down to put my phone in the cup holder just as someone decided to make 90⁰ right turn from the left lane across 3 lanes into an alley on Coronado.
Haha, LA area resident here. This is exactly how I discovered my pre-collision system was operational. Pretty cool how it pre-charges the brakes too. Gave the wife quite a jump with how loud the notification was.

tomtouchdowns

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 White Bronco | Black Diamond | Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My AEB kicked in on my second day with my Sas 4-door Bronco — a bicyclist from a side street turned right in front of me while I was doing 40 and I would have probably clipped him with my mirror if the Bronco hadn’t immediately hit the brakes for me. I was hauling about 200-300 lbs of cargo at the time, too, and she stopped almost on a dime, so the brakes definitely got a nice little test. I was not happy about it but I suppose it’s better than hitting someone!

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

LOL...that's a pretty regular occurrence in Houston....that and the backing up on the highway because you missed your exit

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd bet you can get it to fire based on detection of something just to the left or right of your line of driving, it does not have to be right in front of you.

Find a street where there is a car parked on the side of the road, drive close to them but obviously not so close that you could hit them, drive maybe 35-40 mph, and accelerate. That should set it off to alert you (it has for me and I have my sensitivity on medium)

PS: kudos to Ford for providing this safety feature even on the Base model!

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

LOL...that's a pretty regular occurrence in Houston....that and the backing up on the highway because you missed your exit
Lol I've seen this too, not as often