Sponsored

how does 2-door Bronco handle high winds?

Black Stallion

Badlands
First Name
Dejay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands / 20 Jeep Gladiator / 16 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a 6 inch difference in wheelbase between the 2 door (100-inch wheelbase) and the 4 door (116-inch wheelbase). I think your choice will come down to what you prefer. My 4 door Jeep Wrangler was a white knuckle beast, meaning when it was really windy, my knuckles were white because I was holding on for dear life. But that happened only 1 time on I-295 in Jacksonville on a bridge. The Bronco is a different machine; no play in the front steering wheel makes a huge difference. The Bronco 2 door was my choice, I like the way they look (old school vibe), larger front doors, kids are gone to college and have their own rides so no need for a four door, plus 90% of the time it’s just me driving. Do you feel the wind? Of course! Bronco and Jeep are bricks on the road. But it’s not anything that an experienced driver cannot handle.

Ford Bronco how does 2-door Bronco handle high winds? IMG_0911

If I remember correctly, the backs of the 2 and 4 door bronco’s were pretty even when this picture was taken of my girls 4 door with mine.
Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@OP, Wranglers handle like sh*t and are all over the place regardless of wind conditions or wheel base. Trust me, I both a Bronco and Wrangler and will drive the Bronco 10 times out of 10.

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering how the 2-door Bronco handles high winds? Getting close to buying a used one and hadn't thought about this till yesterday - we had really high winds in Virginia yesterday and a 2-door Wrangler I was in was all over the road. If the 2-door Bronco is similar then I'm going to opt for the longer wheelbase. Appreciate any input - Kit
Your right...I've had two jeeps and the last one was a 2015 Rubicon 2 door with steel bumpers and a winch...very heavy and it blew all over the place in winds...my 2 door Bronco badlands sasquatch is exceptional in the wind...and it weighs close to the jeep at 4800lbs...you'll love the Bronco...they are totally awesome!!!

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cross winds can cause issues with the frameless windows unseating from weather strip - causing lots of wind noise. Just requires an adjustment to the tension/pressure of the windows via hardware in the bottom of the door. Might be a 4 door issue as well, but the longer windows on the two door can’t help.

Other than that, winds are a non-issue.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have driven mine in some pretty heavy winds, like right before hurricane Ian hit. But it was around town and at speeds below 50 MPH. No problems at all. Wind certainly does affect it but seems to me no more than some other vehicles I have owned and driven.

Sponsored
OP
OP

KitCarson3

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks to everyone for the responses. It's pretty evident the Wrangler is a dog in comparison to the Bronco. I might have figured as much since I drove an 81 Bronco for 6 years in Oklahoma, which is pretty breezy as you might know, and it did ok at least by the standards of the day.
But I wanted to make sure the new Bronco was ok since I could not believe how bad the 2018 Wrangler handled the other day. We don't get winds like this in Virginia but maybe every 5 or 10 years but it was an experience - whipping the steering wheel back and forth while being blown from one side of the highway lane to the other. I don't see how anyone would want to drive a Wrangler if they lived in Kansas or Wyoming. I learned to drive in a war surplus Willys when I was 14, but what I've learned from all this is that the new Wrangler is an antique in design and the Bronco is modern.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No Problems, I run a Thule cargo box on top for skiing in the winter, and never give it a second thought. Now my '72 first gen, sketchy at times, and my wife's jk 4-door with a 2"/1" level always felt like I've had a few on a calm day. Get the two door, you won't regret it.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drive a 2Dr Base with OBX tires/rims (V6/auto).

I drive in Northern CA. There is a 10 mile stretch between Davis and Sac where you are basically on a bridge for a 10 mile stretch (called the CauseWay -- don't ask me why). It is an open stretch where southern exposure is at least 1 mile without trees (i.e. a nice place for high crosswinds).

At 65-70 2Dr is just fine. Cross winds can easily get to 30-40 and sometimes greater. No problems.

Previously, I had a 2Dr 2016 Wrangler Anniversary Edition. All stock with 32s on it. It was a bit less manageable than the Bronco, but nothing like you describe. Maybe the suspension/tire/wheel combination that that particular Wrangler had was just a bad fit. Note: My Wrangler WAS NOT suffering from "death wobble" either... which is another consideration.

Bottom line -- my Bronco 2Dr is just fine. It won't handle like a freight train, or a Maserati in the wind... but it is a great 2Dr short wheelbase 4WD.

Bottom-bottom line -- I've driven 2Dr short wheelbase vehicles for 20+ years, and I love them... It also depends on your expectations.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm wondering how the 2-door Bronco handles high winds? Getting close to buying a used one and hadn't thought about this till yesterday - we had really high winds in Virginia yesterday and a 2-door Wrangler I was in was all over the road. If the 2-door Bronco is similar then I'm going to opt for the longer wheelbase. Appreciate any input - Kit
I had a Wrangler and my 2023 BD Bronco 2 door is very stable in high wind and going 60+ on highway.

GlueBoy

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Went up to Moab to take on a few trails, hauled a sleeper along with me to the campsite. When the winds picked up we only were able to glide about 100 yards. I had to deploy aero and manipulate the flaps to keep it under control while in the air at times....

It's a brick! It handled fine.

20240310_170222.jpg

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Way better than a Jeep wrangler.

Jok3r

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark O.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm down in Midlothian VA (Just below Richmond). I have a 2023 2-door BD, 2.3 Manual (As God intended it) I traded my F150 Crew 4X4 for the Bronco. I notice very little wind impact on the 2 door Bronco compared to the truck. But keep in mind as I am sure you have heard a million times...this thing is basically a flying brick. But I can honestly say that I haven't been adversely effected by wind velocity...except my MPG when going over 70 MPH LOL

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I run to Atlantic city monthly from PA, and I can tell you when your on the AC Expressway and got that coastal wind blowing above 30mph it handles pretty well. Now the wind noise and MPG are horrible!!!!!

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just got back from a drive from Colorado to Texas. Had high wind alerts along I25 south with very high gusts coming out of the west. Saw 5 blown over semis and 2 blown over RVs on the highway. I slowed down a little bit and was cautious over the overpasses, but wasn't really too concerned. The Bronco was fine, although I can't say the same for my highway mileage...

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is not the best if you are towing a 26 foot trailer but other than that it drives great in and out of the wind.
Sponsored