First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco Badlands Sad on order!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still waiting on mine. Ordered months ago. Supposed to be some time this month. Would like to pair it with their cat back dual exhaust system, but would like some feedback first. I don't want too loud or cabin drone at driving speed. 🫤
Sponsored

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahh ok. I see the title changed to "2.3" I will be putting mines on the 2.7. Still looks like a task though.

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahh ok. I see the title changed to "2.3" I will be putting mines on the 2.7. Still looks like a task though.
Glad you caught that. I also have the 2.7. Wonder if install will be any different? 🤔

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you caught that. I also have the 2.7. Wonder if install will be any different? 🤔
I have not found any video's of an Injen install on a 2.7. I looked at a regular guy doing a K&N install and lol he was having a time! I compared that because Mish, Injen, and K&N replace the lower pipe. I have seen vids where it seems they just blew through it as well.

I guess I'll find out when I finally get it.

OP
OP
Chrisr24

Chrisr24

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have not found any video's of an Injen install on a 2.7. I looked at a regular guy doing a K&N install and lol he was having a time! I compared that because Mish, Injen, and K&N replace the lower pipe. I have seen vids where it seems they just blew through it as well.

Its not a fun install thats for sure lol. They supply a tool to remove one breather hose but with the way the factory pipe is it takes some finessing to get it lol.

Sponsored

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Keep us updated, I am thinking you might get yours before I do.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not shittiing on dude or anyone who upgrades intake, but someone correct me if I’m wrong. Replacing intake provides no improvement whatsoever in hp or torque because the map sensors regulates the system after seeing more air flow. And in order to see the gains you must have the vehicle tuned for the increased airflow?
correct - and the bronco is designed with CAI from the factory so you get zero out of these except a nicer looking piece of plastic and air filter. Also, with an EFI car, there is no "ram air" effect or benefit from a higher flowing air filter as the computer regulates the air fuel mixture. On a carbureted car, there is small argument to be made that there could be slight HP gain. On a modern car, it's just wishful thinking. Sorta like how your car feels like it runs better after a car wash.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

correct - and the bronco is designed with CAI from the factory so you get zero out of these except a nicer looking piece of plastic and air filter. Also, with an EFI car, there is no "ram air" effect or benefit from a higher flowing air filter as the computer regulates the air fuel mixture. On a carbureted car, there is small argument to be made that there could be slight HP gain. On a modern car, it's just wishful thinking. Sorta like how your car feels like it runs better after a car wash.
That sounds like pretty backwards thinking. The purpose of a ram air intake isn't to alter the air fuel ratio to get more power, it's to help get more air into the engine so you can add correspondingly more fuel to make more power. More air by itself doesn't do anything except lean your mixture. On a carb, without changing anything, this will result in a slightly leaner mixture if the ram air is effective, which could either help or harm your power output depending on how close it was tuned to stoichiometric beforehand. On an EFI, it won't change the air fuel ratio, as that's the whole point of EFI, but it will mean you're cramming a little more fuel and air into the engine, and that's what gives you more power. The PCM isn't going to throttle down because it's getting more air than it was before at full throttle, it's going to throttle down if parameters are exceeded, such as excessive boost. Most new turbo vehicles will rarely see conditions where the engine is capable of exceeding those parameters. That's because the majority of the population lives above sea level and most of our driving will likely be during summer, so our engines will simply not be capable of making the power they were rated to at the factory, because the intake charge is naturally going to be hotter and the turbos will have to work harder for the same amount of boost, and all of that takes power away from the crank itself. That's why dyno runs rarely, if ever, actually match the manufacturer's numbers. Every little bit helps in making imperfect real world conditions approach the ideal environment it was rated for. Factory fuel maps are programmed beyond standard day conditions and above boost cutoff as a safety measure, they already have some tuning above and beyond what they will likely encounter. That's to assure the engine continues to function as intended even if you're cruising down the beach at Prudhoe Bay in the dead of winter with a high pressure system in the area achieving density altitudes in the -7500ft range. For most vehicles, that means when you completely replace the factory intake and IC that is capable of flowing considerably more at lower temps, you start inching closer to those standard day conditions as far as your engine is concerned, and no tune is necessary to make use of those better conditions.

The only thing that the PCM limits to prevent your engine from making more than rated power is a given manifold pressure for a given RPM, and this is done by the wastegate and blowoff valve. You're not going to exceed this except for when conditions are great outside and there will be brief periods where the PCM is playing catchup with the system, but for about 90% of the fuel map, you'll never reach that point because the turbo simply isn't capable of it. If your turbo isn't capable of achieving max boost in those conditions, the PCM won't be limiting the system in any way, and whatever improvements you've made to increase power will be welcomed and will absolutely show up here.

TL;DR nothing you do short of a tune or module will unlock the PCM's boost limits, but there are plenty of ways to increase power without increasing boost by making the engine more efficient. An airbox that flows better than OEM will undeniably and measurably give you more performance, but you shouldn't expect a massive change from what it was originally.

Darrell

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great tucked in their nicely.

Sponsored

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds like pretty backwards thinking. The purpose of a ram air intake isn't to alter the air fuel ratio to get more power, it's to help get more air into the engine so you can add correspondingly more fuel to make more power. More air by itself doesn't do anything except lean your mixture. On a carb, without changing anything, this will result in a slightly leaner mixture if the ram air is effective, which could either help or harm your power output depending on how close it was tuned to stoichiometric beforehand. On an EFI, it won't change the air fuel ratio, as that's the whole point of EFI, but it will mean you're cramming a little more fuel and air into the engine, and that's what gives you more power. The PCM isn't going to throttle down because it's getting more air than it was before at full throttle, it's going to throttle down if parameters are exceeded, such as excessive boost. Most new turbo vehicles will rarely see conditions where the engine is capable of exceeding those parameters. That's because the majority of the population lives above sea level and most of our driving will likely be during summer, so our engines will simply not be capable of making the power they were rated to at the factory, because the intake charge is naturally going to be hotter and the turbos will have to work harder for the same amount of boost, and all of that takes power away from the crank itself. That's why dyno runs rarely, if ever, actually match the manufacturer's numbers. Every little bit helps in making imperfect real world conditions approach the ideal environment it was rated for. Factory fuel maps are programmed beyond standard day conditions and above boost cutoff as a safety measure, they already have some tuning above and beyond what they will likely encounter. That's to assure the engine continues to function as intended even if you're cruising down the beach at Prudhoe Bay in the dead of winter with a high pressure system in the area achieving density altitudes in the -7500ft range. For most vehicles, that means when you completely replace the factory intake and IC that is capable of flowing considerably more at lower temps, you start inching closer to those standard day conditions as far as your engine is concerned, and no tune is necessary to make use of those better conditions.

The only thing that the PCM limits to prevent your engine from making more than rated power is a given manifold pressure for a given RPM, and this is done by the wastegate and blowoff valve. You're not going to exceed this except for when conditions are great outside and there will be brief periods where the PCM is playing catchup with the system, but for about 90% of the fuel map, you'll never reach that point because the turbo simply isn't capable of it. If your turbo isn't capable of achieving max boost in those conditions, the PCM won't be limiting the system in any way, and whatever improvements you've made to increase power will be welcomed and will absolutely show up here.

TL;DR nothing you do short of a tune or module will unlock the PCM's boost limits, but there are plenty of ways to increase power without increasing boost by making the engine more efficient. An airbox that flows better than OEM will undeniably and measurably give you more performance, but you shouldn't expect a massive change from what it was originally.
I put an AFE CAI and a Magnaflow exhaust on my 3rd gen Tacoma, and my butt Dyno noticed the difference. I will be putting the Injen on my Bronco when it comes, and probably the Injen dual exhaust. I am not sure why people that whether right or wrong, don't believe in CAI are even on this thread.🤔

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put an AFE CAI and a Magnaflow exhaust on my 3rd gen Tacoma, and my butt Dyno noticed the difference. I will be putting the Injen on my Bronco when it comes, and probably the Injen dual exhaust. I am not sure why people that whether right or wrong, don't believe in CAI are even on this thread.🤔
I believe in them (cold air is better than hot), but it already has one.

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe in them (cold air is better than hot), but it already has one.
The third gen Tacoma is also designed to be CAI also, but the AFE aftermarket that I put on was obviously a better design. If I wasn't happy with the difference that I felt it made, I definitely wouldn't be doing this on the Bronco. I am hoping for similar, although not super dramatic results. 🫤

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Depends on the system. These systems are "no tune needed" systems, so the system will adjust on its own. Also, I purchased because I am tuned. CAI is never about making big gains, just as with headers, it's about letting your engine breathe. A bigger box, and filter, plus fewer bends in the pipes,(reason why I bought Injen) will do just that. The better your engine breaths the more power it will make. I think people forget this is a twin-turbo system. Though they may be small, Turbo's are still all about air.
2.3 is single turbo. Also headers can make HP gains in that it frees up restricted HP with other mods particularly with forced inductions its a major plus and they sound super cool.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 is single turbo. Also headers can make HP gains in that it frees up restricted HP with other mods particularly with forced inductions its a major plus and they sound super cool.
Indeed. I said before the thread was included that it was a installed on the 2.3
Sponsored