Sponsored

INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too)

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I haven't seen very many posts about this kit (especially with finished photos), so creating my own. Purchased this kit from @4x4TruckLEDs.com . See attached photos and my notes below:

- Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit with SS2 Sport pods (flood pattern). Sport light output is plenty. Pro would be too much in my opinion.
- You can pair this kit with SS1, SS2, or SS3. Personal preference on look and light output desired. I felt the SS1s were too small, SS3s were too big, and SS2s were just right (quote Goldilocks & The 3 Bears).
- Very clean looking install.
- Red backlight is very nice and I was surprised by how bright for running lights / back light (these are my first DD lights, so no past experience).
- I also bought yellow/amber covers so I can use these as chase lights. Simple to just pop them on when going off-road. Although I would have expected the covers to clip on better. There is no real defined click when you put them on, and fairly easy to remove them. We'll see how they handle with the bumps of off-roading.
- My setup gets me 3 things......1.) Rear Lights (Red) 2.) Reverse Lights (White) 3.) Chase Lights (Yellow when using yellow covers). The white lights also turn on with your rear zone lighting. Note in my photos my taillight reverse lights aren't on when I'm in white/reverse mode, as I was by myself and had to manually turn them on to take the photos instead of actually being in reverse. I have full control to override the lights since I also have them tied to an AUX switch (main use is for chase lights).
- Install took me most of the day, but I was taking my time and had plenty of troubles. Install video is on DD website under this product. Video is very good. The problems I had were:
  1. Stripped plastic trim screws at trim piece concealing taillight adapter (had to drill them out......luckily I had extra on hand).
  2. Loosening passenger side rear cargo trim panel was a bear. I broke 3 of those white plastic clips as many others have, but already ordered more online. I had to loosen this panel to get to my rear AUX wire so I can manually turn on/off the rear lights when I want to use them as chase lights.
  3. Tieing into my rear AUX wire was such a small space because I didn't fully remove the panel......just loosened it. And the factory AUX wire is only like 4" long. So having to strip the wire and crimp it was tight quarters. My forearms were fully scraped up from the plastic trim edges afterwards.
  4. Continuing to tie in the AUX wire under the glove compartment was also a challenge. Not as bad as the rear panel tie-in, but again.....tight quarters and factory wires aren't long.
  5. This is one of my last AUX switches left, so tying in under the hood was again tight quarters with all my other AUX connections basically in the way.
  6. If you're like me and have a tailgate table already installed, you need to remove about half of it to get your wiring concealed in the tailgate.
  7. At the rear spare tire, when you fish the splitter through, the splitter isn't very long. You're somewhat limited to where you can have the wire connectors come out your spare wheel. So if you can, I'd suggest shoving as much of the wire harness through the tailgate out to the spare as possible. It's just tough because you have to get through the air vents on the tailgate and the connectors barely fit through the vents. Definiately make sure you have enough wire through before you re-attach the spare and new bracket, or else you're going to have to remove it all again to fish more wire through (again, depends on your rim openings and how well you can fit your hand through the rim).
As clean as this looks, I may actually consider swapping out my SS2s with SS1s and trying to mount the SS1s behind the spare directly to the spare tire bracket. It's just plastic, so could drill through it. That would create a more stealthy look and have the SS1s be just behind the rim and shine through. I was thinking about it with my SS2s, but they are just a bit too big. So it actually may work well with the smaller SS1s, but I'm not sure if I want to do this yet or not. Going to stick with the DD bracket method for now for a few days and think about it.

Let me know of any questions.

Day Off.jpg

Day Running Red.jpg

Day Reverse White.jpg

Day Chase Yellow.jpg

Day Off Close-Up.jpg

Day Off Yellow Chase Covers.jpg

Night Running Red.jpg

Night Reverse White.jpg

Night Chase Yellow.jpg
Sponsored

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fantastic! I was just researching this exact set up this morning - there really aren't many reviews on this product, but it will be my next purchase. Do you have any night time pictures with the white floods on so I can see how much area gets lit up? Also, any pictures of your back up camera view (inside driver view looking at the display) at night with the white lights on? Thanks!!!

D-TownBorn

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good. How does the camera look when they are on? Does it get washed out or is it an improvement?

Dr.Ross

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dreadfulobjects.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve been contemplating this kit for a while, but I’ve already installed upgraded reverse bulbs from Oracle which are plenty bright when backing up. So, I feel like adding two floods for reverse will be overkill. But I like the option to turn these on via aux, and the red backlighting.

OP
OP
Dadsquatch

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fantastic! I was just researching this exact set up this morning - there really aren't many reviews on this product, but it will be my next purchase. Do you have any night time pictures with the white floods on so I can see how much area gets lit up? Also, any pictures of your back up camera view (inside driver view looking at the display) at night with the white lights on? Thanks!!!
Looks good. How does the camera look when they are on? Does it get washed out or is it an improvement?
I'll take some pics of the flooded light area as well as the screen at night sometime over the next couple of days. I need to find a really dark spot. No issues with the screen getting washed out.....at least in my neighborhood where there is more street lighting. Once I test in a dark area I'll know more.

Sponsored

mhorvath1218

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This kit is great. I have essentially the same setup, minus the spare mounted bracket. I installed SSC1’s under the bumper using the same wiring harness, just routed it differently. Won’t work well as chase lights, but perfect for extra reverse/area lighting. Just figured I’d show another possible application for this harness.
Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) 1ACFA900-D7ED-4FB0-B814-4145E6B78E1F

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the middle of this install. How did you route the wires from the grommet to the side wall? Right now the hatch door won't close.

Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) F016AB4E-63B6-4B8E-B2D4-9FC6BC67A551

OP
OP
Dadsquatch

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm in the middle of this install. How did you route the wires from the grommet to the side wall? Right now the hatch door won't close.

Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) F016AB4E-63B6-4B8E-B2D4-9FC6BC67A551
I had the same problem, lol. Route it around the perimeter tucked in as best as you can. It will shut, just have to play with it. See my marked up photo in red.

Capture.JPG

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe i missed it, but what is the process of removing them (unhooking) so that you can remove the spare tire when necessary?

OP
OP
Dadsquatch

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Maybe i missed it, but what is the process of removing them (unhooking) so that you can remove the spare tire when necessary?
It’s just two more bolts than normal & a quick unplug of each light. Probably adds another 3 min to removing the spare. The two additional bolts are the same size as the lug nuts, so no additional tools from normal are needed.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The lights have plugs. You unplug the lights. Then remove the bracket. Remove the lug nuts. And hopefully you had Wheaties because those spare tires are HEAVY.

I took my spare off several times trying to sort out the wiring. No need to work out anymore today.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) E46163CB-522E-479E-9E09-908CBC5F8CCD

Here are my notes:

1. I already mentioned the wiring coming out of the cubby. I did run it along the side and I'm not a fan of that. But it is what it is. Not sure if there is room under the floor to run it over to the side.
  2. The video I watched said to run the pigtail through the top left vent in the tailgate. I did that and the pigtail wasn't long enough. After a couple tries I finally fished the wire through from the inside to the spare tire carrier and only then did I have just enough length.
    Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) C85E9254-A79F-410B-86C5-66F95EE50DB2
  3. I did not hook up the auxiliary option yet, but I will at some point. Maybe when it gets above freezing outside.
  4. I haven't tested the reverse but the red lights work.
  5. Those push pins with the Phillips screws... whomever at Ford who spec'ed those needs to be drowned in the Rogue River. I got them out nicely, super light touch is required. But one is misbehaving now.
  6. The plugs are almost too big behind the taillight. I did manage to cram them in and get the trim piece back in.
    Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) C6C81A04-2903-4291-8F55-9446D3D80E9F

Ford Bronco INSTALLED Diode Dynamics Reverse Light Kit (Chase Lights Too) FBA101CD-26B9-4838-AAAF-7DF09F9CE765

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dadsquatch

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

E46163CB-522E-479E-9E09-908CBC5F8CCD.jpeg

Here are my notes:

1. I already mentioned the wiring coming out of the cubby. I did run it along the side and I'm not a fan of that. But it is what it is. Not sure if there is room under the floor to run it over to the side.
  2. The video I watched said to run the pigtail through the top left vent in the tailgate. I did that and the pigtail wasn't long enough. After a couple tries I finally fished the wire through from the inside to the spare tire carrier and only then did I have just enough length.
    C85E9254-A79F-410B-86C5-66F95EE50DB2.jpeg
  3. I did not hook up the auxiliary option yet, but I will at some point. Maybe when it gets above freezing outside.
  4. I haven't tested the reverse but the red lights work.
  5. Those push pins with the Phillips screws... whomever at Ford who spec'ed those needs to be drowned in the Rogue River. I got them out nicely, super light touch is required. But one is misbehaving now.
  6. The plugs are almost too big behind the taillight. I did manage to cram them in and get the trim piece back in.
    C6C81A04-2903-4291-8F55-9446D3D80E9F.jpeg

FBA101CD-26B9-4838-AAAF-7DF09F9CE765.jpeg
Well done. You had all the same problems I had, lol. More struggles ahead when you go to connect the AUX wire, but I feel like that's such a good feature to use if you plan to use them as chase lights. BUT......if you ever just want to turn on the white lights without being in reverse, then your rear zone lights will turn them on too (pretty neat). However, you can't turn zone lighting on unless you're in Park, which is normally fine, but again not necessary to have them on while driving unless you plan to use them for chase lights as I've already mentioned.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well done. You had all the same problems I had, lol. More struggles ahead when you go to connect the AUX wire, but I feel like that's such a good feature to use if you plan to use them as chase lights. BUT......if you ever just want to turn on the white lights without being in reverse, then your rear zone lights will turn them on too (pretty neat). However, you can't turn zone lighting on unless you're in Park, which is normally fine, but again not necessary to have them on while driving unless you plan to use them for chase lights as I've already mentioned.
They sure didn't give us any extra wiring for the AUX runs.

Sadly I'd been behind and under enough dashes to know how much fun it is. On my Mustang I take the dang seats out first.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thx for the write up. This is on my list after I wasn't happy with a hitch light solution. Running out of aux switches faster than I thought I would.
Sponsored