Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please tell me you edited out the part when the CV was disconnected from the hub and didn't leave it installed as you did the other work.

OP
OP
monkeysdad

monkeysdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"We" in the tittle should be replaced by "I paid Ford".
I did the passenger side while my friend James who is a tech at my dealership did the driver side. So yes, "We" would be correct. Quicker to get done with two people.

OP
OP
monkeysdad

monkeysdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Please tell me you edited out the part when the CV was disconnected from the hub and didn't leave it installed as you did the other work.
We followed the instructions from Icon which did not include removing the CV from the hub assembly.

Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got lucky if he didn’t pull the joint apart.. didn’t watch the video though

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We followed the instructions from Icon which did not include removing the CV from the hub assembly.
After seeing some of the posts with lifts and failed CVs, my theory is that people are taking a short cut or the shitty directions that came with the lift skip this step. I suspect they do this because getting the stub out of the hub, extra tooling/skill required, may scare some DIY folks away. Don't know that for sure but that's my opinion. The Ford workshop manual (front shock removal), in step 3, right after remove wheel, clearly says to remove hub nut and push the axle back. It can obviously be done without removing but it's specifically done in this order to prevent hyperextension of the joint and boot.

Not trying to bust your balls, just want to see people avoid potential issues and costly repairs. These companies should be following the OEM workshop manual procedures when possible, otherwise they're doing a disservice to their customers.

OP
OP
monkeysdad

monkeysdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After seeing some of the posts with lifts and failed CVs, my theory is that people are taking a short cut or the shitty directions that came with the lift skip this step. I suspect they do this because getting the stub out of the hub, extra tooling/skill required, may scare some DIY folks away. Don't know that for sure but that's my opinion. The Ford workshop manual (front shock removal), in step 3, right after remove wheel, clearly says to remove hub nut and push the axle back. It can obviously be done without removing but it's specifically done in this order to prevent hyperextension of the joint and boot.

Not trying to bust your balls, just want to see people avoid potential issues and costly repairs. These companies should be following the OEM workshop manual procedures when possible, otherwise they're doing a disservice to their customers.
That was one reason I worked with my techs at our service department on it to make sure things went right and so far I've put 10,000 miles in it with no issues.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was one reason I worked with my techs at our service department on it to make sure things went right and so far I've put 10,000 miles in it with no issues.
Wasn't going to bring it up but that's what made me cringe and asked about the editing.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First off, I didn't watch the video as I don’t typically watch YouTube only posts, so my comments are not specifically on how they removed things, but...

Almost every case of separated CVs after a lift install reported here on B6G happened after the axle shaft was removed from the hub. I'm sure it's happened using the method of just removing the inner LCA bolts, but I've not read of a single instance of it. I have pulled the front coilovers four times and have not removed the axle from the hub. It's quicker and easier. Plus, the CVs don't separate this way.

I'm sure a Ford tech has to go by the book, but the book is not always best. Especially with these CVs that are not connected well and come apart easily. If you know ahead of time they are not connected and will come apart, then by all means remove the axle from the spindle and be careful with it, otherwise it will separate like has been reported here many times over using that method.
Sponsored

Last edited: