Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TL;DR is that the Grimm ARB Compressor Bracket is quality and I like the vertical placement, however, I don't think it was tested in the 2.3 engine bay. In the end, it worked out, but took a lot longer than it should have to install.

BTW, I purchased directly from @Stage 3 Motorsports as I've bought quite a few things from them and have had great experiences.

Here's the feedback I provided Grimm and here's their installation instructions:
Heads up that I installed the mount last night on my 2.3 Badlands and I don't think it was designed for the 2.3 engine as it doesn't fit without modification. There's two hard AC lines that run right where the lower support brace is supposed to mount to the shock tower. I had to re-bend the brace, grind down a couple of spots and mount it in reverse to get it to fit. [1] [2]
Additionally, the bracket and/or directions should be modified to make it easier to mount the upper support brace to the PCU. Ideally, put a captive nut on the bracket so you can insert the bolt from the PCU side. That was a horrible experience trying to get that brace installed without pushing the bolt back behind the bracket. At the very least, maybe alter the directions to loosely secure the brace to the PCU prior to mounting the assembly in the Bronco. [3]
It would be great if the 90 degree NPT fitting that fits into the compressor would stand a little more proud. If I were to get it screwed in as tight as I wanted it to be, there was no way to screw the stainless hose into it without interfering with the ARB cover. I had to add a lot of teflon tape to the threads and hope that I don't get a leak.
Lastly, the lower of the 3 bolts that mount the entire assembly to the Bronco sidewall is near impossible to get to. I'm not sure how you can make that easier, however, I had to rig up a method to hold the bolt into my wrench to get the threads to bite. [4]
In the end, it took about 3 hours, with most of my time modifying the lower brace and trying to get the side brace attached to the PCU.

I did install rubber washers between the compressor and the bracket and between the PCU and the bracket to hopefully minimize vibration. Neither the ARB kit nor the Grimm kit included ring connectors to connect the ARB power and ground to the battery, so that's all I have left to do today before I fire it up. The directions don't state so, however, I did disconnect the battery as I thought it would be prudent while I disconnect the PCU.

Ford Bronco Installing the Grimm dual ARB compressor mount in a 2.3 1

Ford Bronco Installing the Grimm dual ARB compressor mount in a 2.3 2

Ford Bronco Installing the Grimm dual ARB compressor mount in a 2.3 IMG_5550

Ford Bronco Installing the Grimm dual ARB compressor mount in a 2.3 3

Ford Bronco Installing the Grimm dual ARB compressor mount in a 2.3 4
Sponsored

fenderbender

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn, I have this sitting in the garage in a box ready to install in my 2.3. I made the (bad) assumption that it had been tested in both based on the description on the Grimm website. Still prefer this mounting option over the others I've seen, so I guess I will make the mods and do it. Thanks for the writeup @UtahBrandon

OP
OP
UtahBrandon

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, I have this sitting in the garage in a box ready to install in my 2.3. I made the (bad) assumption that it had been tested in both based on the description on the Grimm website. Still prefer this mounting option over the others I've seen, so I guess I will make the mods and do it. Thanks for the writeup @UtahBrandon
Hereā€™s a couple of crappy videos that might help. Iā€™m half expecting you, or somebody else to say that after all of my bending, I just bent it back into the original shape. šŸ˜³

Sponsored
OP
OP
UtahBrandon

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@UtahBrandon did Grimm ever respond to your feedback?
Yes, they were very responsive. Here's a portion of the email...
"We did install this compressor kit on both 2.7L and 2.3L vehicles when we were doing development. We did not run into issues with the AC lines, so we will have to get another 2.3L in here to figure out what is going on. If we are able to revise the bracket to better work with both engine options, I'll get the updated one sent to you and any other customers that need it once we have it."​

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@UtahBrandon Just wondering what your thoughts re now that the Grimm has been installed for awhile now. 2.7L here so no AC line issues, but just wondering if the up and down mounting has led to any issues...

OP
OP
UtahBrandon

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@UtahBrandon Just wondering what your thoughts re now that the Grimm has been installed for awhile now. 2.7L here so no AC line issues, but just wondering if the up and down mounting has led to any issues...
No issues at all. It probably doesnā€™t matter which mount you go with because after install, itā€™s out of sight, out of mind. Weā€™ve got plenty of snow here, but when it warms up, Iā€™m probably going to mount the air hose connector to a more convenient location, maybe somewhere to the rear. Itā€™s just kind of a pain to have to open the hood every time I want air.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No issues at all. It probably doesnā€™t matter which mount you go with because after install, itā€™s out of sight, out of mind. Weā€™ve got plenty of snow here, but when it warms up, Iā€™m probably going to mount the air hose connector to a more convenient location, maybe somewhere to the rear. Itā€™s just kind of a pain to have to open the hood every time I want air.
Thanks. I like the way it uses the braided hose since that air is going to be hot and the positioning of the on/off switch.
Sponsored