First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 BRONCO, 89GRANDWAGONEER, 2014WRANGLER, 07FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The battery was loose AND the harness for the instrument cluster was loose. BOTH.
Sponsored

Cos

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A similar issue happened to me two days ago. While driving, the instrument cluster flickered and just went out. Upon restart it did not come back on, there seem to be no loose cables that I could locate.

For a full day the Instrument Cluster was dark. I tried a system reboot by disconnecting the neg terminal to the battery. This morning, it showed some signs of life, showing its normal start up screen and then went dark again. This would seem to indicate it is not a loose connection but rather a system issue.

If anyone has a solution to this issue besides bringing back to dealer to sit for a few days I would like to try everything else before that option.

Last edited:

Cos

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a follow up on this issue. After letting the Bronco sit for 2 days unused. The IC booted up normally and has been working correctly for about a week.

Not sure if it was an over the air software update or what - but for now at least this issue corrected itself.

OP
OP
ColoradoDad

ColoradoDad

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Toyota FJ60
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a follow up on this issue. After letting the Bronco sit for 2 days unused. The IC booted up normally and has been working correctly for about a week.

Not sure if it was an over the air software update or what - but for now at least this issue corrected itself.
I'm glad it is working for you again. After my display went out initially it then came back for a few days then went out again. I wouldn't hold your breath that the issue is corrected. Very very rarely do things magically fix themselves.
The next time it goes out take it to the dealership right away. If it can sit in your garage for 2 days and not be used, it can spend a few more at the dealership getting actually fixed. It saves future headaches. ;)

Reactions: Cos

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 12" sync display flickered and shut off a couple times for about 20 seconds today. Then came back on and was fine the rest of the drive. Hmmm
Mine did that about a week ago. The flickering looked kinda cool, like Matthew McConaughey trying to reach earth from another Interstellar time dimension.

Shortly after, I got a notification in the Ford Pass app that my display software had been updated, so I assumed that's what caused it. All good since then.

I previously had a Ram 1500 whose center display software would crash every now and then, but it always rebooted after awhile.

Sponsored

Cos

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, as ColorodoDad predicted, it crapped out again.

This time, I brought it to dealer. They ran diagnostics, tried to reset computer and reinstall software, which did not correct the issue. A new InstruCluster has been ordered - lead time is undetermined.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Happened to us on Sat morning in Payson, AZ. Stepped out of the hotel room and started it. Had the following:
  • Instrument cluster blank
  • Speedo not working
  • Turn signals not working
  • HVAC set temp on big screen was showing in C, but outside temp was showing in F (this is the most puzzling to me)

Took it to Steve Coury Ford nearby and the tech there started thru the process. He got to the first thing (checking the fuse), and pulling the fuse to check it with the multi-meter was a long enough time to reset it and bring it all back to normal. Shout out to the service dept at Steve Coury Ford for getting us back on the road in an hour. The tech showed me the process:
  1. Pull open dash panel under steering wheel (he said a tool will help, but you can get it open just by carefully and firmly pulling on the top lip of it and opening it from the top)
  2. Locate fuse box behind that panel
  3. Pull fuse #13
  4. Put the fuse back in and test
  5. Put it all back together

Would have been a shame to come back home with a clean Bronco rather than this:

20220319_164931.jpg

OP
OP
ColoradoDad

ColoradoDad

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Toyota FJ60
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, as ColorodoDad predicted, it crapped out again.

This time, I brought it to dealer. They ran diagnostics, tried to reset computer and reinstall software, which did not correct the issue. A new InstruCluster has been ordered - lead time is undetermined.
One of the few times I didn’t want to be right.

gtg935q

Big Bend
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This has happened to me three times, with each time occurring when temps are near freezing. Each time, the screen will stay blank during first drive no matter how many times I turn off/on from ignition at stop lights and such. However, after I park it for a bit while turned off, comes right back up.

Happened this morning with outside temps at 39 °F. Drove about a half hour with blank screen. Ran into Home Depot to grab a few things. Maybe 5 mins inside store. Came out upon startup all is well.

Very annoying if it is temp related. These are mild temps. Could be just correlation but no causation, but at least something I’ve noticed each time it doesn’t work.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Time for a mustang speedometer swap, one with MyColor

Sponsored

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This happened on my Bronco Sport several times when I had it, Ford couldn’t fix it and it’s one of the many reasons I got rid of it.

gtg935q

Big Bend
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This continues to be an issue for me. Almost every time I drive the vehicle after it being parked overnight or more than a couple hours, the instrument cluster is blank. I checked wire connectors beneath steering column and none were loose. Same for battery terminal connections. Vehicle drives fine but this is definitely frustrating. Dealer doesn’t seem to have any ideas over the phone. Not yet to point I’m willing to be without vehicle for few days to allow them to assess further.

Last edited:

gtg935q

Big Bend
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update - my instrument cluster has been totally dead for about a month or so. No intermittency anymore - just a bricked screen. Was pretty annoying a couple weeks back when I needed to use 4x4 on a steep grade and wanted to use trail control (no way to see if actually engaged, set speed, etc.).

The screen being totally dead and the two recalls that both applied to my build (child locks and windshield) led me to go ahead and bring it in for service last Monday, 7/18. They let me know today, 7/25, the instrument cluster needed to be replaced and that the replacement should be in, “…early August.” TBD if my otherwise drivable vehicle will need to stay there until then.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update - my instrument cluster has been totally dead for about a month or so. No intermittency anymore - just a bricked screen. Was pretty annoying a couple weeks back when I needed to use 4x4 on a steep grade and wanted to use trail control (no way to see if actually engaged, set speed, etc.).

The screen being totally dead and the two recalls that both applied to my build (child locks and windshield) led me to go ahead and bring it in for service last Monday, 7/18. They let me know today, 7/25, the instrument cluster needed to be replaced and that the replacement should be in, “…early August.” TBD if my otherwise drivable vehicle will need to stay there until then.
I am dealing with a similar issue, but in my case, the SYNC 4 APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) behind the 12” screen is dead. The dealership diagnosed the problem on Friday, but the part is back-ordered nationally and could take anywhere from a few days to a couple of months to be delivered. Since the vehicle is still drivable, minus some modern inconveniences (e.g., radio, Sirius XM, navigation, camera views), I am driving it in the meantime while awaiting delivery of the part. When it arrives, my dealer will contact me to schedule the installation.

gtg935q

Big Bend
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hello. Brief update. Ended up leaving my Bronco at the dealer as I was lucky enough to have access to another vehicle. They finally began the instrument cluster replacement, windshield recall, and child door lock recall late last week. Should be ready for pickup tomorrow. Fingers crossed this puts this thread’s issue to bed for me.
Sponsored