Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to get something setup in the interior of my 4dr for my rods. Looking to avoid anything permanent and would prefer something I can pull off quickly if need be (like when the top is off). Thinking of throwing up some bungees/straps to keep them up towards the roof and out of the way. Would love to see/hear what anyone else is using.

Thanks
Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got a rod holder and used Velcro straps to mount it to the rear roll hoop, then mounted a strap along the roof above the front headrests. Keeps the rods out of the way, and I can easily mount 6'6" rods in my 2-door. I switched to the "top" of the rod rack with open ends, which makes loading easier. If you want I can take better pictures later.

PXL_20230617_113131231.jpg

PXL_20230618_175945132.jpg

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

FYI, I used this Berkley twist-lock rod holder.

images(63).jpg

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m battling this same challenge. I am determined to figure out a solid solution this year. I like those Berkley joints. Would love to mount them so they’re sturdy. GoatFab B-Pillar Brace + Pura Vida Attic Tray might be the most secure mounting solution.

@KABQ - do the rod tips bounce around? Does the holder in the rear move at all? Scratching up the plastic?

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m battling this same challenge. I am determined to figure out a solid solution this year. I like those Berkley joints. Would love to mount them so they’re sturdy. GoatFab B-Pillar Brace + Pura Vida Attic Tray might be the most secure mounting solution.

@KABQ - do the rod tips bounce around? Does the holder in the rear move at all? Scratching up the plastic?
I agree that your plan would probably work better, but it gets pricey. Yes, the rod tips bounce a little, but not too bad since all the weight is in the back. The Velcro straps I'm using have metal rings, so I'm able to get them VERY tight. The rod holder doesn't move at all and hasn't scratched the plastic, even though the tabs are pretty small. It would probably be even more secure running the straps through the holes, but I haven't found it necessary.

I initially tried to mount one part of the rod holder to the latches for the hardtop (above the front seats), but the holes are slightly too close together and I had to remove too much material so the rod holder broke. I may revisit the idea with an aluminum bracket in the spring. For now it's ice fishing, and those rods will fit anywhere!

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@KABQ - I am all for a budget solution - especially one that is easily removable. The crossbar doesn't really appeal to me. But the Pura Vida would hold all my recovery gear and tools and free up some precious cargo space. Problem is - I have an early-21 build - so, I would need to install my own rivnuts.

Mind linking the type of strap you used up front? I have the upgraded cargo light on the rear crossbar...assuming that would get in the way with your idea. I am going to figure this out...

Man, I wish we actually got enough ice this year. Two years in a row have been a wash.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fact for the future. Surf rods don’t fit inside two doors.lol

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@KABQ - I am all for a budget solution - especially one that is easily removable. The crossbar doesn't really appeal to me. But the Pura Vida would hold all my recovery gear and tools and free up some precious cargo space. Problem is - I have an early-21 build - so, I would need to install my own rivnuts.

Mind linking the type of strap you used up front? I have the upgraded cargo light on the rear crossbar...assuming that would get in the way with your idea. I am going to figure this out...

Man, I wish we actually got enough ice this year. Two years in a row have been a wash.
I used basically these (Velcro straps): https://a.co/d/6KOhtB3 They cinch down nicely.

Rivnuts aren't that bad to install, and lots of them come with the tool.

As for ice fishing, we have to go north a few hours and up over 8,000 ft elevation, but there are a few spots.

Edit: I answered the wrong question. This is similar to the strap up front: https://a.co/d/8QeSriS If I did it again I wouldn't use the buckle. Also, I didn't bother with grommets since there's virtually no weight on it.

OP
OP

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Kabq, that’s where I think I’m heading with this. Had straps/bungees set up in my last rig and it worked ok. How did you attach the front strap, just wrapped it around the roll bar ? Was thinking of attaching D rings to the front bolts above the side airbag cover and attach the strap to that.
Redone, Im with you, got the updated rear cargo light and it presents another challenge.
Thinking of seeing if I could utilize the rivnuts and a Rockworkz hardtop screw to hold a strap for the rear.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks Kabq, that’s where I think I’m heading with this. Had straps/bungees set up in my last rig and it worked ok. How did you attach the front strap, just wrapped it around the roll bar ? Was thinking of attaching D rings to the front bolts above the side airbag cover and attach the strap to that.
Redone, Im with you, got the updated rear cargo light and it presents another challenge.
Thinking of seeing if I could utilize the rivnuts and a Rockworkz hardtop screw to hold a strap for the rear.
I used the small bolts in the roll bar

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's awesome! But $225?! I'll pass.
Built Right products aren’t cheap, but they’re incredibly well made in Connecticut and they have outstanding customer service to boot. What I really like about it is that it can be used across several vehicles. So, when we take the Ranger I can easily swap it over there. That alone sealed the deal for me.

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Fact for the future. Surf rods don’t fit inside two doors.lol
I have a MoarDoor but this should still work on a 2dr. I have my Surf Rod in two pieces and inserted into separate pieces of pipe foam insulation. I lay 1 end into the passenger rear window well then tie the other end to the roof latch… keeps it out of the way and protected…
Sponsored