BroncoOB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a very interesting video that tests soft top vs. hard top vs. no top sound level comparison.

The test showed both hard top and soft to at 60 or 70 MPH have the same level of dB and during idle or 20 MPH only 1 dB different. Not sure how accurate this is but still interesting....

Sponsored

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
its really the sound of the wind your hearing in a ST vs a HT. Measurements should be similar because your also hearing the engine and tires which generally speaking are louder then wind noise. No options is "quiet" but a HT has less wind noise over a soft top and less environment noise bleed in the cabin. if that helps.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

sticking the meter right in front of the dash is going to be different than the meter being at the same height and position of your head.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

(I couldn't watch the video)

Did the hardtop in the video have the sound deadening liner? So without it the hard top would be much louder than soft top?

Sponsored

dmillerspc

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its really the sound of the wind your hearing in a ST vs a HT. Measurements should be similar because your also hearing the engine and tires which generally speaking are louder then wind noise. No options is "quiet" but a HT has less wind noise over a soft top and less environment noise bleed in the cabin. if that helps.
I can tell you from personal experience My bronco is much quieter than my jeep was, I rode from California to Minneapolis in the Jeep and the top flapped and fluttered so much it was actually quieter with the top down.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You think the engine is louder than the wind? Are you nuts lol

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can see why the two tops would have a comparable SPL on a meter, but as others have mentioned that doesn't really quantify what it lets in. I've driven both and the soft top lets in remarkably more ambient sound (and that of other vehicles around you). They're not louder than the wind and tire noise levels, but you certainly hear and notice them. Made me very happy with my decision to wait on the hardtop. Not that there's anything wrong with the softie, and if you want to live the convertible life and open it up on a daily basis I can absolutely see why people get it, but for the day-to-day commute, the hardtop was an easy call.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a very interesting video that tests soft top vs. hard top vs. no top sound level comparison.

The test showed both hard top and soft to at 60 or 70 MPH have the same level of dB and during idle or 20 MPH only 1 dB different. Not sure how accurate this is but still interesting....

Bestop did this same test with their soft tops vs hard and came up with the same results, not really any difference between the two. They also did a temperature test that showed little difference.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes sense. What do you use to deaden sound? Hint: Not plastic lol. If the hard top wasn't modular maybe it would be a bit quieter. But the lower road noise from the rear glass windows versus plastic windows is probably quickly overruled by all the gaps throughout the roof top. As for heat, would you rather wear a fabric jacket in the snow or a plastic one? I wouldn't be surprised if the softtop retains heat far better than hard top. I'll have had my soft top for over a year once my hard top is finally delivered in April and I'll report back.

Sponsored

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What angers me is I did an in-depth analysis with much better metrics and the same garbage $20 amazon sound reader and it got no traction

1. There is zero chance in hell that no top vs hard top is the same. Wrong. Incorrect.
2. However, there is almost no measurable difference between soft and hard in terms of noise.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a ‘22 soft top and a ‘23 hard top, both 4 door and as OBX’s with Lux they have the extra sound deadening. There is very little difference in the sound levels. I’d say the MIC top is about 15% quieter at some moderate speeds around 35-50 mph but once you get at 65-75mph, they are both very noisy especially compared to my wife’s Range Rover. When the ‘23 arrived, I drove them back to back to see the differences in noise levels and it’s not much at any speed. As far as heat retention goes, neither has any trouble keeping us warm even when the temps are -15º F. The heaters are strong on the Broncos and with the remote start it’s not an issue parking one outside even here in Minnesota where it will be -10 F tonight. Heated seats and steering wheel are things that I would no longer do without in Minnesota.

smooretexas

Badlands
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco ETA: ????
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure how accurate my watch is but it measures 82db at 75mph with a soft top. Definitely no conversation happening on the highway.

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Given the MIC constraints and issues related to changing orders I see this as an obvious effort to demonstrate that removing the hardtop from your order isn't going to change your interior noise or experience. I appreciate the effort and get the intent here but doesn't come close to influencing my perspective.

But come on...the decision to get a MIC HT is so much more than noise levels. For me, I can't stand the appearance of the ST from the outside especially the wavy rear windows and overly boxy rear corners. Additionally I'm not a fan of the VW Beetle Convertible look when the top is pushed all the way open. Yes, I get that it's easier to get the top opened when compared to a MIC but that's not an issue for me.

And he didn't get to the temperature/insulation differences. For all I know, there are none...but could also be a major difference in how warm a MIC is compared to ST during colder weather.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

only 1 dB different.
1db may not sound like much, but I remember from Navy sonar school that 3db is double the SPL (sound pressure level). So 1db is a 33 percent increase in sound pressure.

I have no idea if this is relevant to noise inside a car, but the military beat that formula into our heads so it’s got to mean something.
Sponsored