Sponsored

Is 4w Auto needed for safe traction in winter?

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Should be fine in 2wd unless the road is covered in snow. Then just put in 4H.
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4A is not needed, having said that...
It sure is REALLY nice. I'm finding it a really nice convenience thing, you can forget to take out of 4A and you'll still be fine.

Driving through the Christmas storm was sure footed and just awesome. I was really impressed.

Just note, with rear 2wd you will be sliding the rear end around corners, i even do it in 4A, but that might just be me
I second this. 4A is great but I'd be fine with 4L/H too. I wouldn't turn down the order. I grew up on RWD manual trucks in the east coast with hills. If I can survive that this is a cakewalk. Just throw some good 33s on it. Grapplers, Wildpeaks, etc. and you are money...

gjptennis

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Subaru Outback, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was able to get a dealer order that should be here in a month or so. I was unable to design the build so the builds what it is. I don't yet have a window sticker but the dealer noted on lot cars ford sends them he said they get 5 a year ( no idea how true any of this is FYI just going off what I was told). He said non of them have 4wheel auto.
I never owned a truck and only had sports cars with RWD or AWD cars. I live in New England with bad weather and have a very long steep driveway which RWD cars cannot get up if its the slightest bit of frost or snow on it.

Just concerned about people that are not myself driving the car in RWD basically all the time while taking my kids to school or whatever. The bronco we are buying to be used in the winter so another car doesn't get driven. so not using it in bad weather negates the purchase use case.

Its a black diamond trim if that helps.

Is not having 4w Auto a dealer breaker or am I not understanding the differences in the traction and drive options?

Thanks for your help.

This is the note from the dealer
" The full size bronco yes the 4x4 advanced auto is a selectable drive terrain on our retail units. I wish I could add it to our broncos but unforunitly Ford has only given us 4/5 stock units, one being yours for 2023 which none of them have the advanced auto 4x4. inorder to get that on the bronco it would need to be a retail 2023 order and we still havent been able to place retail orders for 2023 broncos unforunitly. and a 2023 order with advanced 4x4 as of right now would probaly not recieve a build date for 6-8 months "
Where in MA? There is a dealer less than 5mins from my house with a lot full of different trims (including a raptor for $110K). If you want 4A - I will let the comments of others stand - you can get it from them for sure.

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I do like using 4A when it’s raining and I have to pull out quickly even though it be never spinner my tires in 2wd

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Heck I'm old enough to have dealt with locking hubs, turbo's being a curiousity, sandbags in the back of the 2WD and even that big button in the Land Rover that engaged the front axle, some folks out there had a third lever in the cab for that.
I sometimes wonder how much of that drama we'd have needed back then if we had the tires we have today. I find that I use 4H to get out of the driveway when it's snowy or icy and for the most part after that it's 2WD. No sandbags or weights or nothing. The tires hook up and go.
It's been said before and can be said again-if it's safe to go over 40 or so, you don't need 4wd engaged.

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are quite a lot of people who seem to think that 4WD/AWD makes you invincible in inclement weather. It never ceases to amaze me how people in an Audis, Subarus, Tahoes, Broncos, Pickups, etc., will fly past me in bad weather when I'm going just under the speed limit. The reality of the physics involved is apparently lost on them. Traction circle anyone? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

The secret to driving in bad weather is always the same, slow the eff down. :LOL:
When I lived in AK i was one of the "dance of death" mat-su valley to Los Anchorage commuters. The first snowfall would see all manner of big trucks and SUV's in the ditches. Lots of military from the south were told they needed a big 4WD to get through the snow and discovered that when it was pushed too hard and they lost control, no 4WD system was going to save them. You wouldn't believe the amount of plastic in the ditches after the snow melted.
What I rarely saw in the ditches were Subarus. Those little buggers were the best winter rig for most drivers. Too bad the seats in Subies don't work well with my back.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I called my buddy with a JK to ask his advice he said he can only go 40mph. Can we go faster in the bronco?
We got snowed yesterday and it was a bit of rain and snow mix and I wanted to try Slippery Goat Mode - 4H and the ride was heavy and stable and I could not push it hard as I do on Normal. May be its good on low speeds like your friend has said.

I was thinking how the rest of the 4x4 vehicles are driven fast, may be they were set to 2A. Returning home I used Normal mode and the ride was much better and I could go a bit fast depending upon the road conditions.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'll add in that on wet pavement my FE is much quicker in 4A...because in 2WD it will break the tires loose easily and then it will only accelerate at the rate the traction control is feathering the throttle. Not optimal. So 4H is actually alot quicker w/out traction control holding it back.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good snow tires will make more difference than 4A, IMO.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Those little buggers were the best winter rig for most drivers.
Probably true. Low CG, narrower tires, AWD (center diff), they have a lot going for them in that respect if you combine them with snow tires. But you still have to slow down. :LOL:

Sponsored
OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where in MA? There is a dealer less than 5mins from my house with a lot full of different trims (including a raptor for $110K). If you want 4A - I will let the comments of others stand - you can get it from them for sure.
Central MA. Found a dealer in watertown that had exactly the build I wanted but they are D heads and want 10k over sticker. Found another one badlands SAS but it was a 4 and my orders a 6 with hardop for 10k less.

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
yea I really dont want to buy snow tires. The bronco is being bought so I didnt have to buy snow tires for my tesla plaid.
Stock wheels are General Grabber ATX I though they were decent in snow?
I'll add in that on wet pavement my FE is much quicker in 4A...because in 2WD it will break the tires loose easily and then it will only accelerate at the rate the traction control is feathering the throttle. Not optimal. So 4H is actually alot quicker w/out traction control holding it back.
Whats faster on dry?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

yea I really dont want to buy snow tires. The bronco is being bought so I didnt have to buy snow tires for my tesla plaid.
Stock wheels are General Grabber ATX I though they were decent in snow?

Whats faster on dry?
Probably in Baja mode 2H???

gjptennis

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Subaru Outback, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Central MA. Found a dealer in watertown that had exactly the build I wanted but they are D heads and want 10k over sticker. Found another one badlands SAS but it was a 4 and my orders a 6 with hardop for 10k less.
yeah - that is certainly a cost of lot shopping. Hope you find what you are looking for - I know since I took delivery of my Wildtrak, I haven’t looked back
Sponsored