Sponsored

Is 4w Auto needed for safe traction in winter?

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Were you of driving age when most cars were RWD? LOL
Yes, my first car was a 1983 corvette with crossfire fuel injection, it was a rat and the roof was held together with duct tape case it broke and I couldnt afford to fix it.
It had huge rear bald tires. I drove it everyday in blizzards, rain storms doesn't matter. Taught me how to drive safely cause I have 0 redo's, my friends called it the Glass Coffin. The RWD thing honestly was not a concern about me or my ability to get around safely ( aside from getting up my death trap driveway). My driveway ends at the street and on the other side of the streets a 20' drop. Even in a AWD car I had had a few close calls going very slow. But thats a function of tire traction and stopping less forward movement with the 4 wheel system. My overall concerns are more for not me driving the car especially when my kids are in it.

But it seems like everyone seems pretty confident about the 4wh when its crappy out and the 2wd system being decent with traction control.

For winter times I would keep the stock wheels/tires and not throw any M/T off road specific stuff on for wet/snow traction.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If I'm interpreting your question correctly it sounds like your primary concern is more about the other drivers (not yourself). Just make sure that they understand when 4H/4L can and cannot be used (dry pavement, etc.).

One reason I went with the 4A was that it simplifies things a bit for my wife and kids. You can just switch to 4A in bad weather and forget about it. No need to worry about turning 4H on / off as the road conditions change.
yes this is my exact concern. I would have ordered the car with 4wheel auto as a set it and forget it option if I could.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in MN and I chose 4A on my Black Diamond. Not completely necessary but I like the convenience of not having to shift out of 4WD when I hit stretches of dry pavement (or when I forget).

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Were you of driving age when most cars were RWD? LOL
Driving age? I wasn't born! :censored:

Were you of driving age for locking hubs and cooling turbos? :LOL:

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One reason I went with the 4A was that it simplifies things a bit for my wife and kids. You can just switch to 4A in bad weather and forget about it. No need to worry about turning 4H on / off as the road conditions change.
You know you went with 4A because you wanted SASQUATCH.... C'mon Man!!

Alcotune

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
The tires are more important than 4h/4L/4A. Lots of 2wd cars and trucks on the roads as long as you adjust your driving to the conditions.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
4A is not needed, having said that...
It sure is REALLY nice. I'm finding it a really nice convenience thing, you can forget to take out of 4A and you'll still be fine.

Driving through the Christmas storm was sure footed and just awesome. I was really impressed.

Just note, with rear 2wd you will be sliding the rear end around corners, i even do it in 4A, but that might just be me

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, my first car was a 1983 corvette with crossfire fuel injection, it was a rat and the roof was held together with duct tape case it broke and I couldnt afford to fix it.
It had huge rear bald tires. I drove it everyday in blizzards, rain storms doesn't matter. Taught me how to drive safely cause I have 0 redo's, my friends called it the Glass Coffin. The RWD thing honestly was not a concern about me or my ability to get around safely ( aside from getting up my death trap driveway). My driveway ends at the street and on the other side of the streets a 20' drop. Even in a AWD car I had had a few close calls going very slow. But thats a function of tire traction and stopping less forward movement with the 4 wheel system. My overall concerns are more for not me driving the car especially when my kids are in it.

But it seems like everyone seems pretty confident about the 4wh when its crappy out and the 2wd system being decent with traction control.

For winter times I would keep the stock wheels/tires and not throw any M/T off road specific stuff on for wet/snow traction.
My first was a 73 Cutlass, that I'd fill the trunk with sandbags (like everyone else here), so the rear end wouldn't be sliding all over the road at 45. I don't think you'll get to much argument from people that of my generation that there's a significant difference in driving at speed depending on where your power is coming from, something that the FWD generation fails to realize. I'm talking about maintaining traction at speed not stopping at speed. I'm not suggesting driving around in the summer in 4H, I'm just saying these talks of donating your drivetrains over occasional dry spots is greatly exaggerated.

Rob_Broncowski

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX, Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know you went with 4A because you wanted SASQUATCH.... C'mon Man!!
I love the look of the Sasquatch package but it's a bit overkill for the malls in my area. I was originally going to get a base but I jumped up to an OBX for the 4A and the cameras.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
4A is a "nice to have" feature, but not a needed one...

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the only difference between 4A and 4H is that with 4A you can set it and forget it, but 4H you need to be aware and shift out of 4H on dry pavement. ;)

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I called my buddy with a JK to ask his advice he said he can only go 40mph. Can we go faster in the bronco?
You can go as fast as you want. Stopping and turning is the problem. I've driven my old fullsize bronco 60/65 on an empty highway during a snowstorm. It just depends on traffic and available traction/visibility.

The real tricky driving IMO is when the highway is "mostly" clear, but there is still those little strips of slush or potential black ice. My main worry is damaging the part time 4wd system if those clear parts of the road are too dry.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

unforunitly

idk what this word is in your dealer note.

the worrys about 4H on pavement should only be if you are turning.
My main worry is damaging the part time 4wd system if those clear parts of the road are too dry.
You won’t have to worry about 4A.
And you won’t have to worry about 4H in a straight line.
Besides, are these front Bronco diffs not limited slip? You can only lock them in 4L.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
unforunitly

idk what this word is in your dealer note.

the worrys about 4H on pavement should only be if you are turning.

You won’t have to worry about 4A.
And you won’t have to worry about 4H in a straight line.
Besides, are these front Bronco diffs not limited slip? You can only lock them in 4L.
I was talking about my old fullsize bronco which doesn't have 4A.

Good to know about the straight line though! Is changing lanes or highway curves fine as wll?
Sponsored