Sponsored

Is 4w Auto needed for safe traction in winter?

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was able to get a dealer order that should be here in a month or so. I was unable to design the build so the builds what it is. I don't yet have a window sticker but the dealer noted on lot cars ford sends them he said they get 5 a year ( no idea how true any of this is FYI just going off what I was told). He said non of them have 4wheel auto.
I never owned a truck and only had sports cars with RWD or AWD cars. I live in New England with bad weather and have a very long steep driveway which RWD cars cannot get up if its the slightest bit of frost or snow on it.

Just concerned about people that are not myself driving the car in RWD basically all the time while taking my kids to school or whatever. The bronco we are buying to be used in the winter so another car doesn't get driven. so not using it in bad weather negates the purchase use case.

Its a black diamond trim if that helps.

Is not having 4w Auto a dealer breaker or am I not understanding the differences in the traction and drive options?

Thanks for your help.

This is the note from the dealer
" The full size bronco yes the 4x4 advanced auto is a selectable drive terrain on our retail units. I wish I could add it to our broncos but unforunitly Ford has only given us 4/5 stock units, one being yours for 2023 which none of them have the advanced auto 4x4. inorder to get that on the bronco it would need to be a retail 2023 order and we still havent been able to place retail orders for 2023 broncos unforunitly. and a 2023 order with advanced 4x4 as of right now would probaly not recieve a build date for 6-8 months "
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All Broncos have part-time 4WD (2H, 4H, 4L) — the advanced 4x4 they’re referring to is only 4WD auto (4A) which is an electronically controlled full-time 4WD system.

While 4A would definitely help in slippery conditions at speed, you shouldn’t be driving quickly on snow or ice anyway. To get up your driveway when it’s slippery, you’ll probably need 4H at least but it’ll do the job the same as any other 4WD car you’ve driven.

Just make sure you research the difference between part-time 4WD and full-time 4WD systems. You cannot drive around in 4H all the time, especially when it’s not slippery, for fear of damaging your drivetrain. 4L is even more restrictive and will certainly cause serious drivetrain damage if misused.

OP
OP
lemonslush

lemonslush

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco, plaid S, xc90, rivian, element
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When the roads are slick, put it in 4H, easy-peasy.
I called my buddy with a JK to ask his advice he said he can only go 40mph. Can we go faster in the bronco?

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was able to get a dealer order that should be here in a month or so. I was unable to design the build so the builds what it is. I don't yet have a window sticker but the dealer noted on lot cars ford sends them he said they get 5 a year ( no idea how true any of this is FYI just going off what I was told). He said non of them have 4wheel auto.
I never owned a truck and only had sports cars with RWD or AWD cars. I live in New England with bad weather and have a very long steep driveway which RWD cars cannot get up if its the slightest bit of frost or snow on it.

Just concerned about people that are not myself driving the car in RWD basically all the time while taking my kids to school or whatever. The bronco we are buying to be used in the winter so another car doesn't get driven. so not using it in bad weather negates the purchase use case.

Its a black diamond trim if that helps.

Is not having 4w Auto a dealer breaker or am I not understanding the differences in the traction and drive options?

Thanks for your help.

This is the note from the dealer
" The full size bronco yes the 4x4 advanced auto is a selectable drive terrain on our retail units. I wish I could add it to our broncos but unforunitly Ford has only given us 4/5 stock units, one being yours for 2023 which none of them have the advanced auto 4x4. inorder to get that on the bronco it would need to be a retail 2023 order and we still havent been able to place retail orders for 2023 broncos unforunitly. and a 2023 order with advanced 4x4 as of right now would probaly not recieve a build date for 6-8 months "
You will be absolutely fine without 4A.

ALL Broncos come with 4H for you to use in severe conditions. The stock BD comes with plenty capable General Grabber's and a rear locker.

I've been using my OBX with Toyo AT3's in 2H through dogshit conditions all Fall and Winter without issue. Your Bronco was built for these conditions regardless of the optional t-case chosen.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I called my buddy with a JK to ask his advice he said he can only go 40mph. Can we go faster in the bronco?
If conditions allow you to safely go 40mph or faster, 4H is not helping you much. Just switch to 2H at that point.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In short, no, it’s not needed.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought by 2004 F150 new, it has probably has 50K miles driving over 55mph in 4H on it. I hope the Bronco isn't significantly less capable.

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You don't need 4A in winter. You can switch between 2H and 4H on your own as conditions allow. Yes, you should keep your speed under 50-55 mph while in 4H, but the roads are slick. Should you be driving at highway speeds when road conditions are like that anyways? Probably not.

The key to driving safely in winter is to drive slowly, be extra smooth and gentle on your inputs (gas, brakes, steering) and keep lots of space between you and the car in front of you (if possible). And your tires.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You don't need 4A in winter. You can switch between 2H and 4H on your own as conditions allow. Yes, you should keep your speed under 50-55 mph while in 4H, but the roads are slick. Should you be driving at highway speeds when road conditions are like that anyways? Probably not.
Right answer! There's not a hard limit on 4H speed. But in the conditions in which 4H would be required you'd have to be insane to be driving over 55mph 😄

These are heavy SOB's and not even 4A will help you come to a stop in the conditions you describe.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is not true. I have a 2009 JK Sahara Unlimited. There are times, conditions permiting, that I drive 60mph on the xway, and 50mph around town. I have never had one issue with the drive train and 130K miles on the OD.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is not the will it go in 4wd. It is will it stop any better in 4wd. That is a big big NO.

As using 4wd or 4A. Slick crappy conditions 4wd works great. For might be crappy might be dry 4A works great.

Would it be a deal breaker to not have 4A. Not for me.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right answer! There's not a hard limit on 4H speed. But in the conditions in which 4H would be required you'd have to be insane to be driving over 55mph 😄

These are heavy SOB's and not even 4A will help you come to a stop in the conditions you describe.
Were you of driving age when most cars were RWD? LOL

Rob_Broncowski

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX, Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If I'm interpreting your question correctly it sounds like your primary concern is more about the other drivers (not yourself). Just make sure that they understand when 4H/4L can and cannot be used (dry pavement, etc.).

One reason I went with the 4A was that it simplifies things a bit for my wife and kids. You can just switch to 4A in bad weather and forget about it. No need to worry about turning 4H on / off as the road conditions change.
Sponsored