First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's nothing, my dad once tried scheduling an oil change for his fiesta at the same dealer he bought it from only to be told first come, first serve. Goes in the next day right at open and is told they're appointment only. He never went back to that dealer.
Sponsored

sjudas

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My first car 40+ years ago was a Ford but this is my first one since. I took it in for its first service and a short list of a few post-sale items to have checked out. They said they were really stacked so could I come back next week to schedule service (mainly oil change and balance). So, I did. A few days later, I came in for my service and was told it would take 45 minutes for the oil change (seriously?!) but the other stuff might take a few days. It's my first dealership experience in some time without loaners or comp'd rentals (as long as you're willing to schedule in advance based on their availability). So, I was a little shocked by this. It's unacceptable to be without your car for several days because you need something slightly adjusted to spec. The oil change ended up taking an hour and a half.

I understand bad days, but the service advisor told me it was just the way things are and it's the norm and was the same at pretty much any Ford dealer due to volume. That's what reservations are for.... But, I digress. Then I had a couple of questions to find out if the issues I have are even service addressable and he had no idea - couldn't ask a tech - I would have to leave it and wait a couple of days for it to be documented and so forth. Then, I asked if they could install Ford Performance Tune since I read that this had been discontinued for 2023 2.3L and he had no idea and directed me to parts who had no idea. I asked how I could find out and they had no idea.

This is an unacceptable level of service for any business. Is this typical for Ford today? Any good service dealers in Houston area? This was Joe Myers in Jersey Village (unfortunately I live and work less than a mile from it). I understand this is a Berkshire Hathaway business. I can't imagine that's an acceptable business model for Warren Buffett.
Question for you. Are you upset that the oil change was scheduled to take 45 minutes? Or upset that it took 90 minutes? If it is the former, then you truly haven't been to a dealership in 40 years. Just curious.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been lucky so far, First warranty work was a rear camera connector, took 2/3rds of the day and the dealer got me a Lift ride home. We thought it might be a software problem and a quicker fix, but it ended up taking a couple of hours longer than expected, but I was picked up & had the car around 2 or 3pm.

Second warranty work was paint and body corrections, multiple items, most small with a pressure dent in the middle of the hood they could have blamed me for but didn't. I didn't make the dent, but because I had shoulder surgery right before delivery I didn't get around to detailing and inspecting until about 6 weeks after delivery. They fixed all of my paint & body complaints including removing and repainting my tailgate. They scheduled me a week or so after I went in and they gave me a loaner.

My "Quick Lane" oil change did take about 2 hours which I thought was a little long, but I wasn't the first car they pulled in and they did the 5 tire rotation and got me out in time for another appointment, so Ok.

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never leave my car for longer than a day, unless its BROKEN and undriveable. I pay for the parts they say they need so they can order them. So far its only been regular services on the Bronco. But on my Explorer and wifes Edge, we have never left it over night or for days unless BROKEN. For example her Edges 4 cyl leaked coolant into the motor. Bulletin said REPLACE it. So that took about a 7-10 days. Only time I can think of that we left a car with them for longer that the day.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for you. Are you upset that the oil change was scheduled to take 45 minutes? Or upset that it took 90 minutes? If it is the former, then you truly haven't been to a dealership in 40 years. Just curious.
No, it's ridiculously poor business practice that they don't have a level of service for quick things like oil changes and tire rotations to compete with quick places, but I fully expected an hour - it's the 90 minutes instead of 45 after convincing me to stay and wait instead of leaving it that got my goat on that point. Though I have to say it's frustrating even to go to Starbucks for a regular drip black coffee and wait 15 minutes while they make fancy coffee drinks - the lack of awareness to provide for separate quick lane things for in and out services continues to amaze me. But, that's a first world problem for sure.

No, it's the lack of ability to schedule at all that frustrates me. I understand them being busy and it taking days or weeks to take care of something and in a given day, it might be hard to predict which hour they'll get started on something but to not even try to coordinate tech's schedules with appointments and say ok, next Thursday we'll have time allotted for your xyz issue - not sure if it'll take 2 hours or 24 hours, and if we have to order parts we may have to re-schedule, but to not even try and to just schedule for intake and hold on to it in the parking lot for 2-3 days before a tech even looks at it is just outrageous.

And to answer someone's complaint about loaners, no I have no expectation for a loaner, but if you don't provide some option like that OR have reasonably efficient scheduling and service levels, then no one can afford to bring cars in for warranty work. And it's not free - the dealer makes a ton of money on warranty work. Most dealers normally love it because there's no haggling or billing issues. And they just follow procedure. Loaners are smart because it gives folks experience with their vehicles (often upgrades) to entice future purchases.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have had recent bad experiences at dealerships and also independent service shops as well.
The last independent service shop I went to for a oil change and a smog test, the reason I went there with a coupon, and the tech tried to pressure me into a front break job that needed to be done today or at least within a week to avoid metal on metal. "Do it today and it's $40 for the pads & $100 for labor and you'll save $100 compared to if they wear completely out", I only had the car for two years (16k miles) and it had new brakes when I bought it, so I declined. Plus I can change both of the front brake pads in about 30 mins or less.

Note: I live in a condo with carports and I'm allowed to do a brake pad change, but not an oil change or any fluids in my carport.

I pulled a front tire off and checked the pads and 80% of the pads were left! Assholes got me in with a coupon for a cheap oil change and smog check and tried to rip me off on a break service I'm betting they wouldn't even have even done.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Most dealers normally love it because there's no haggling or billing issues
lol this is a joke....right?

If you don't think Ford nitpicks every single little thing on almost every single warranty claim, or constantly bounces claims for ridiculous reasons causing tons of issues for dealerships, you clearly have no idea how things work at a dealership. Most dealerships literally have to jump though hoops just to be paid correctly by Ford.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don't think Ford nitpicks every single little thing on almost every single warranty claim, or constantly bounces claims for ridiculous reasons causing tons of issues for dealerships, you clearly have no idea how things work at a dealership. Most dealerships literally have to jump though hoops just to be paid correctly by Ford.
Fair enough. Not unlike medical insurance claims. But once approved it’s good work.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe if we get back to “Quality is job 1” dealers
It's definately been trying. I still tackle each day as positive as I can and realize that ...

#1. Most people want something for free or a discount
#2. They can yell, scream and throw tantrums, but they can't eat you.
#3. No matter how much you do for most, it isn't enough but as long as I know I've done your best I can sleep at night
#4. On the note of sleep...there is none lol
#5. No matter how much money you put up, next month the demand for more will be there.
#6. This is a thankless job, you have to know that going in.
#7. I dream of buying my sportfish and retiring in Costa Rica and changing my name to Tito and getting the hell outta here by 62...I have 15 years....if I last that long.

I could go on but....

The one or two thank you's I do get wipe out all that crap and keeps me going another day because there are some good people and awesome customers out there.
Sounds like most every corporate job in America these days. I could build the exact same list you did and I’m in a completely different industry but with one giant similarity, I too am the face of a product from a 3rd party and I have to support the 3rd party’s product and try to please customers when their issues arise.

Until the source of the issues are lessened, such as Fords crap quality control and their seemingly uncaring attitude for its customers, threads like this will exist.

There are and will always be bad dealers who screw customers like it’s a sport. There are crap teachers, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, parents. …the list is endless, it’s the way some people are wired. I personally think huge kudos go out to folks like yourself who try to do the right thing and treat each situation in a fair and honest way.

Sad fact is that being in a customer facing industry where one’s business is based on offerings from a mega corporation, it’s a no win proposition a majority of the time. Especially when the product you represent is a $60k+ item with its share of issues.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

not quite sure what's going on with ford service (and dreading my first encounter).

just got done with getting our family fleet of 2 vw golfs and a subaru
scheduled for oil changes et al at 2 different vw dealers and subaru dealer.

(one vw lives at my mom's house)

all had slots available with no more than 2 days away and loaners available

even with the subaru requiring both rear wheel bearings replaced and a full
brake job, it was completed in a day.

Sponsored

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most are very busy. All these features and gadgets surely cause more warranty work. And they rarely have parts in stock except wear items.
Yes .most dealers of any manufacturer suck . Worthless employees and a don't give a crap attitude .
But we have to deal with them only one time. If I have bronco issues I'll sell it and drive my old Tacoma.
I get better service at Home Depot .
Took me 2 years to get a 2 door base with no options. That's terrible.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, when my Bronco needed the gaskets around the window replaced (leaking...), my service writer said most of the tech's time was spent documenting the failure so it'd be covered. This was in response to, "wasn't it just a rubber gasket?" My own ignorance of the process led to an overly accusatory tone, because of course it did. This is called lacking grace, or as my old man used to say, braying like a jackass.

As a corollary to the thrust of this thread, we should keep in mind these are real people, generally most are trying to get a job done while being between a rock (Ford and the dealership) and a hard place (upset customer). If we treat everyone like they're shady and shafting us, soon those good people who may be having a bad day will just leave and we'll be that much worse off. As Flip said, Ford ain't making it any easier, either.

So be nice. Show some concern. Don't take it personally. (Finger pointed at myself :oops:)

Dog

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You want great service from a dealer, buy a Lexus. All other brands suck hind teet.

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Took my vehicle in for its 1st service today no appointment. Full synthetic oil/filter change, tire rotation, and the typical checklist stuff. Took about an hour maybe an hour twenty. $126.00 paid with Ford Pass points and off I went. Painless.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the worst thing was when I asked if they checked the power steering fluid because I had some squealing and he said "I don't think they have power steering - they're electric steering systems - and you don't really need to worry about things like fluids because the check engine light will come on."
Sponsored