Sponsored

Is the 2.7L Nano EcoBoost in our Bronco Different?

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I have been under the impression that the 2.7L EcoBoost engine has more horsepower and torque than other models. Am I wrong?
Sponsored

Attachments

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He’s asking how the bronco 2.7 is different from say the F150 2.7. There are differences- performance numbers, part numbers, etc. But how different are they?

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I'm the least mechanically-inclined person in the world. I'm good at reading the stuff and being able to spit "Aww yeah son! My 5.9L 360 is awesome!!!" but none of the actual technical details.

Having said that - I've read and watched multiple videos/articles/etc. that seem to suggest the 2.7L Twin Turbo V6 is one of the most capable and technologically advanced engine Ford has ever made. Apparently it's supposed to be very physically big for a 2.7L-speced engine and everyone - on here included , regularly - claim it can do 50% more HP easily. (It's just it was first reported you only needed a $1000 German microchip to do that, and it's more like $6000K worth of upgrades...)

Ford apparently down-rates their engines for fuel mileage reasons, EPA reasons, reliability, etc. But the 2.7L in the Bronco apparently blows the 90s-era-Mustang 5.0L V8s out of the water.

I don't know if this gentleman is a member here but his videos have been particularly informative for me, and he seems like a pretty good dude also.... highly recommended watching.

Sponsored

Winger57

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LibertyDiesel,F450,88Ranger, 80Pinto, 65GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I'm the least mechanically-inclined person in the world. I'm good at reading the stuff and being able to spit "Aww yeah son! My 5.9L 360 is awesome!!!" but none of the actual technical details.

Having said that - I've read and watched multiple videos/articles/etc. that seem to suggest the 2.7L Twin Turbo V6 is one of the most capable and technologically advanced engine Ford has ever made. Apparently it's supposed to be very physically big for a 2.7L-speced engine and everyone - on here included , regularly - claim it can do 50% more HP easily. (It's just it was first reported you only needed a $1000 German microchip to do that, and it's more like $6000K worth of upgrades...)

Ford apparently down-rates their engines for fuel mileage reasons, EPA reasons, reliability, etc. But the 2.7L in the Bronco apparently blows the 90s-era-Mustang 5.0L V8s out of the water.

I don't know if this gentleman is a member here but his videos have been particularly informative for me, and he seems like a pretty good dude also.... highly recommended watching.

Good post just finished watching this video having a lil anxiety about ordering with this engine. Of course my brother has it in his 16 F150 loves it and now I know it’s a different version.

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good post just finished watching this video having a lil anxiety about ordering with this engine. Of course my brother has it in his 16 F150 loves it and now I know it’s a different version.
So we've had ours for just over a month. We didn't drive it for the first two weeks much at all, because we really needed mudflaps (I live on a stone road, that connects to my 770ft driveway made out another kind of stones, and this thing fires off rocks like an MP5...) - but now I have just about 800 miles on it (again not exactly a lot but still) and I absolutely LOVE THIS THING.

The engine seems pretty freaking sweet so far and everything about it, it's sweet like Skittles and Starburst. It drives itself. Sofa-King much fun. Highly recommended.

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Good videos yes, but. After watching turbo etiquette I was concerned about the Auto Start Stop feature. I learned that my 2012 BMW Diesel liked to warm up and cool off for the turbo health. Someone on @Lucchese's 2.7 blown engine tracker set me straight on the way this engine was designed to address these issues when the ASS shuts off the engine. I don't worry about that anymore, but do make sure I warm up the engine when it is super cold out.

Is it too much to ask for our 2.7 Nanos still be running strong 10 years from now, like my BMW
3.0 L N57S I6 Diesel? Perhaps not if it the valves don't fail.
Sponsored