Sponsored

Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a lot of misinformation around fuel octane ratings and how engines respond to them. The octane rating is a measurement of detonation resistance and nothing else. Most modern high compression turbo engines will make slightly more power from premium fueling due to octane and knock sensors allowing for very accurate timing adjustments so the engine can run safely on lower octane fuel if the owner so desires. These timing changes may very well lead to increased mpg when using premium fuel (though likely very minor) due to increased thermal efficiency (particularly at cruise load where a higher grade fuel will also allow the engine to run leaner without detonation).

This used to not be the case even 10 years ago. Knock detection and prevention systems were much more rudimentary and designed primarily to prevent catastrophic failure. In engines like those using a fuel type with octane ratings higher than recommended by a manufacturer was pointless because the engine simply could not utilize the extra detonation resistance.

As far as premium fuel being cleaner than regular. That's horseshit. Modern fuels all contain adequate detergents to keep modern fuel systems clean. You are much more likely to experience a fuel contamination issue because a particular station has poorly maintained tanks, old gas (low turnover of gas in their tanks), or a bad batch (fairly rare).
ATTN: everyone:

Read the above and no other post. I'll add one point: "Top Tier" gas isn't just the three or four major brands. Costco, for example is Top Tier gas. https://www.toptiergas.com/

People who think they can tell a difference are likely experiencing confirmation bias. Consider this: did you notice an improvement right after filling up with high octane? You couldn't because your fuel lines still have regular unleaded in them for some time. How full/empty was your tank when you filled up? Premium fuel is diluted by the ratio of existing regular fuel in your tank.

If you really think your engine is running much better on premium, hook up a measurement tool to your OBD port and do before and after 0-60 runs. Or better yet, have someone else fill your tank for a while and randomly choose premium once or twice and you tell them when you think you're running premium.

And yes, you might see a slight MPG improvement, but it's likely less than the additional cost of fuel. Why bother with a 5% MPG improvement if the fuel is 15% more expensive?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gquag

Badlands
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1936 Ford Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Title.

Since this motor is turbo'd, should I be running this ? on premium fuel?
Ok, here you go... Ever since I've driven, owned, or worked on cars the answer is always yes!! 👍 explained AAA with a 6 vehicle test..

Watch "New Study Shows Premium Gas Isn't Always Worth It" on YouTube

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ran my Benz on reg when it called for premium. Computers adjust. #topsecret

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really care what Ford says, I will be putting 91 octane in my 2.7. Especially for the 120 degree Arizona summers.

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, here you go... Ever since I've driven, owned, or worked on cars the answer is always yes!! 👍 explained AAA with a 6 vehicle test..

Watch "New Study Shows Premium Gas Isn't Always Worth It" on YouTube

How dare you clutter this thread with science! ;)

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not experienced a problem with mostly Costco 87 Octane in either of my 2.7s. I believe Ford states the HP ratings are achieved with premium but the 2.7 is "safe" with 87. If I do run premium, i run my tank very low and then fill. I try to run the premium down very low as well. Can I tell a difference? Seems like it's a bit stronger on top, but I am usually filling with premium because I will be going off road, towing, driving hard etc. Generally something that may require the most power I can get.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

no but I run 92/93 in my 3.5 as the gas mileage goes way up.
Probably only due to the lack of ethanol in the 92/93 octane fuel.

Socal71

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrak, 2005 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Question for those in the know about this kind of stuff... even if premium grade fuel is not required on the 2.7L engine, does the engine perform any better with higher grade fuel than it does with standard?
my understanding is you get more power and hp if you use premium on the bronco motors.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

well hello there, old thread, haven't seen you since Feb, doing ok?

;-p

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question for those in the know about this kind of stuff... even if premium grade fuel is not required on the 2.7L engine, does the engine perform any better with higher grade fuel than it does with standard?
yes, the torque and hp figures are with premium. There is a slight performance difference with premium vs regular.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just pour a gallon or two of toluene in the tank, seems to do the trick. ;) (while this actually does work to raise octane, I am not recommending that people do this).

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can safely run either. You will get better performance and efficiency with premium, whether that’s worth the price difference is up to you. One thing you should definitely do is run top tier gas regardless of octane

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

just don't get premium at an old country station. That craps been in there for a year.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ATTN: everyone:

Read the above and no other post. I'll add one point: "Top Tier" gas isn't just the three or four major brands. Costco, for example is Top Tier gas. https://www.toptiergas.com/

People who think they can tell a difference are likely experiencing confirmation bias. Consider this: did you notice an improvement right after filling up with high octane? You couldn't because your fuel lines still have regular unleaded in them for some time. How full/empty was your tank when you filled up? Premium fuel is diluted by the ratio of existing regular fuel in your tank.

If you really think your engine is running much better on premium, hook up a measurement tool to your OBD port and do before and after 0-60 runs. Or better yet, have someone else fill your tank for a while and randomly choose premium once or twice and you tell them when you think you're running premium.

And yes, you might see a slight MPG improvement, but it's likely less than the additional cost of fuel. Why bother with a 5% MPG improvement if the fuel is 15% more expensive?
Your vehicle has three separate power ratings from Ford, not only do the knock sensors adjust the timing advance they must also do something in the MCU or whatever you want to call the controllers or there not be separate ( by enough HP to be measurable in the lab) ratings.

Even if there were no knock sensors, think Bronco 1G, premium over regular will generally reduce carbon buildup since premium fuels, as a rule, are better filtered for contaminants.

That notwithstanding, you would be guaranteed to get better mpg with 0% ethanol at same octane than with blended fuels. 10% ethanol does nothing but purchase corn intended for livestock. The green factor of using less fossil fuel is overshadowed by the increased consumption of fuel. At best it might be a wash, but still leads to premature wear of rubber and plastic. ChryCo was famous for fuel tanks decomposing into fuel lines
Sponsored