Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The discussion on the the oil pump wet rubber belt here and especially here is interesting, and does not inspire a lot of confidence

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The discussion on the the oil pump wet rubber belt here and especially here is interesting, and does not inspire a lot of confidence
I watched the teardown video this morning. It's my Sunday morning tradition, with a cup of coffee.

I was wondering if the 2.7L in the Bronco has this stupid design.

JR

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was wondering if the 2.7L in the Bronco has this stupid design.
Ford Bronco Great 2.7L EcoBoost Engine Teardown Video 1690143557457

see part #26

I don’t know that the variable displacement oiling system on the Bronco should be classified as a “stupid design”, but admittedly only time will tell if it proves to be reliable or problematic.

Unfortunately, have seen some oil pump/wet belt issues on 1.0L in the EcoSport.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Bronco Great 2.7L EcoBoost Engine Teardown Video 1690143557457

see part #26

I don’t know that the variable displacement oiling system on the Bronco should be classified as a “stupid design”, but admittedly only time will tell if it proves to be reliable or problematic.

FWIW, I have not seen problems with this design on the F-150 which has been in use for years. Now the 1.0L eco-boost in the EcoSports are another story. Have seen several of those with oil pump/wet belt issues.
It's good to hear that the F-150 has a good track record with it, I just don't see the wisdom in putting a rubber belt inside an engine that needs the entire front of the engine removed while using chains for the rest of the timing system. If it was all belts, fine, but why mix them? What's the service interval on that belt before it fails and requires replacement because you suddenly lost oil pressure? Also, what happens when you're under boost, the belt snaps, you lose oil pressure, and burn up your turbos?

I just don't understand the wisdom here. Cost savings? Lower rotational mass?

JR

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What's the service interval on that belt before it fails and requires replacement
To my knowledge, there is no service interval. It is presumably intended to last the life of the engine.

hell, according to Ford you don’t even change the coolant/antifreeze for the first time until 200,000 miles! 😲

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm an accountant, but I really dug this.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To my knowledge, there is no service interval. It is presumably intended to last the life of the engine.

hell, according to Ford you don’t even change the coolant/antifreeze for the first time until 200,000 miles! 😲
I just don't see how this doesn't need to be replaced at some point. Did you see the condition of the belt after he removed it?

JR

Reactions: Jrl

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How you going to get to it?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unfortunately, have seen some oil pump/wet belt issues on 1.0L in the EcoSport.
This is usually due to tensioner failure on 1.0's though, not because the belt is in oil (although that probably doesn't help)

I don't think I've seen any Ecoboost (2.7/3.5) oil pump belts fail yet, and they've been out for a few years now. So hopefully there are no long term issues.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I made the mistake of watching this video. It practically made me feel sick. I know that as vehicles get newer, the chances for a home mechanic to be able to repair anything gets less and less, but it seems like Ford made this engine as complex as it can be.

As a person that has had to tear into my Jeep 3.6 engine, all I could think about is for the first time in my life, aside of maybe changing spark plugs .... all I can envision is now being forced to throw tons of $$$$ out the window because only a professional Ford Ecoboost mechanic will be able to fix anything.

No wonder they have to pull the engine just to work on it. :sick:

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's good to hear that the F-150 has a good track record with it, I just don't see the wisdom in putting a rubber belt inside an engine that needs the entire front of the engine removed while using chains for the rest of the timing system. If it was all belts, fine, but why mix them? What's the service interval on that belt before it fails and requires replacement because you suddenly lost oil pressure? Also, what happens when you're under boost, the belt snaps, you lose oil pressure, and burn up your turbos?

I just don't understand the wisdom here. Cost savings? Lower rotational mass?

JR
If you suddenly lose oil pressure while under boost, the turbos will be the least of your worries.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you suddenly lose oil pressure while under boost, the turbos will be the least of your worries.
Oh, I know, but it's a concern. If you're putting 6 PSI through the turbos and suddenly lose oil pressure, pull off, and shut the thing down, you're probably going to be ok. If you continue to drive it for any length of time, you're probably going to end up burning up the rod bearings and potentially sending metal flakes through the engine.

Watching Eric's tear down videos for almost two years has made me kinda paranoid about that.

JR

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I made the mistake of watching this video. It practically made me feel sick. I know that as vehicles get newer, the chances for a home mechanic to be able to repair anything gets less and less, but it seems like Ford made this engine as complex as it can be.

As a person that has had to tear into my Jeep 3.6 engine, all I could think about is for the first time in my life, aside of maybe changing spark plugs .... all I can envision is now being forced to throw tons of $$$$ out the window because only a professional Ford Ecoboost mechanic will be able to fix anything.

No wonder they have to pull the engine just to work on it. :sick:

You have about the same chance of getting into an accident and totaling your car out that way as you do with an major engine failure.
Sponsored