First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you talking 5k oil change intervals? Just wondering cause that’s what I’ve been doing on my 2.7 so far.
I do my 2.7s oil every 3500+-. Since i saw the maintenence interval suggestions by ford tech maculuco youtube channel. I trust his opinion .
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Jeffal + @Spiniker - 5K is likely a good OCI number provided the oil you use is up to the task. From what I see so far, there are two things to watch in the oil:

1. Viscosity Retention
2. Fuel Dilution

Fuel dilution will cause the oil to lose its viscosity at a faster rate versus an engine that does not suffer from dilution and given this is a HO twin turbocharged engine, I would want the oil to stay in the xW-30 viscosity range the entire time it is in the engine.

I dumped the factory fill (which I will assume to be Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-30) at 1,000 miles and it was already into the xW-20 viscosity range. Choosing an oil that is on the higher viscosity range of xW-30 will help with viscosity retention. The range is 9.3 to 12.5 cSt @100C temperature.

From the list of oils that I assembled located here, use Column M as a guide to find a thicker oil.

Obeh4ve

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
E85 will produce more power but less MPG than gasoline. My 2010 F-150 FFV gained 10HP and 25TQ by running E85, but economy dropped by 3-5MPG in the process.

I cannot find my owners manual, but I am positive it stated exactly that in it and it was very noticeable especially when towing.
"E85 will produce more power but less MPG than gasoline" is the issue in a nutshell. Ethanol is less energy dense but runs cooler which has performance advantages. A less power per gallon solution needs to be cost effective. I don't have anything that runs E85 so I have to ask, is E85 cheap enough per gallon that it is more cost effective than gas? Alternative fuels are the likely the only thing that will save ICE cars in the future IMO but buying more of a resource per year needs to be cheaper or at the very least, a break even proposal.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"E85 will produce more power but less MPG than gasoline" is the issue in a nutshell. Ethanol is less energy dense but runs cooler which has performance advantages. A less power per gallon solution needs to be cost effective. I don't have anything that runs E85 so I have to ask, is E85 cheap enough per gallon that it is more cost effective than gas? Alternative fuels are the likely the only thing that will save ICE cars in the future IMO but buying more of a resource per year needs to be cheaper or at the very least, a break even proposal.
To my knowledge E85 has never been cheap enough (even with subsidies) to offset the loss of MPG versus the cost of gasoline, but that was not my point--though I get your point and it is a valid one.

The bottom line is that E85 makes more power than gasoline in any configuration, but it comes at a cost (literally). Another poster was stating it does not, and that is not correct--it absolutely will make more power even with a factory tune from Ford such as the one on my 2010 F-150 FFV.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the 2.7 in my last F150 and have it in my 2022 Bronco. Love it, zero issues. With the F150 I pulled a 25' travel trailer with ease. All kinds of power!💪🐎🐎🐎

Sponsored

PrevCYBRTRKrez

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4dr Badlands, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I skipped through it quick but doubt he mentioned the 2.7 has a wet belt driven variable oil pump that’ll cause sudden catastrophic failure right after warranty is up. Might be easy to change when replacing the clacking phasers and timing chains though
Say you drive a 2.3 without saying you drive a 2.3…. 😁

bigblockfox545

Black Diamond
First Name
jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 FOX 2009 M3 2008 STI 2005 F350 2018 OB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
E85 is less prone to detonation then gasoline letting you run more ignition timing and boost.

I strictly run e85 in my 2008 sti hatch. With the g30 770 turbo it makes 450whp on e85 on a modest 26psi

Direct injection and e fuels are hard to beat for making power. When my warranty is up I might make the switch in the bronco.

2.7 has been a great engine. The only real issues were leaky oil pans in the early f150s and a few turbo lines that would cause the exhaust to have a blue haze.

Another issue we see at the dealer ship is misfires. Boosted engines are really sensitive to bad spark. I recommend changing plugs early. Maximizes fuel economy and power.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

ADK23

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Found this video this afternoon by what seems like a true gearhead. Likely unsurprising to most of you, but boy I cannot wait for my rig to arrive!

I have the 2.7 in my 2023 2 door and love it! Plenty of power when you need it , smooth at high speed highway driving and so far it’s been bulletproof along with the rest of my Bronco.

Gregg G

Wildtrak
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford has used the same design for a while now with practically zero issues. Everyone just assumes it’ll fail because it’s in oil when in reality there’s plenty of high mileage ecoboosts out there with the original belt.
225K on mine

Bee Bop

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 02 Mustang GT Vert, 91 S10
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep in mind the Belt driven oil pump first appeared on the Gen 2 2.7. the Gen 1 had a chain driven oil pump, but still there are a lot of 2.7's out in the wild. I have on in my 21 BL and love it.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Keep in mind the Belt driven oil pump first appeared on the Gen 2 2.7. the Gen 1 had a chain driven oil pump, but still there are a lot of 2.7's out in the wild. I have on in my 21 BL and love it.
Yep, since 2018. So coming up on 7 years now.
Sponsored