First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am looking at the JB4. Would this or any tuners void warranties?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Philosophize

Philosophize

Wildtrak
First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
yes yes, and yes
Are there any options that are done void warranties?

What about
2.7 EcoBoost Cold Air Intake
2.7 EcoBoost Downpipe Mods

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Panda Motorsports has a module that they claim is undetectable. Something similar to banks power in the diesel world.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
no there are not. unless ford makes one every one will void warranty if detected. can it be detected is the better question and i would say yes. Anyone that claims something is completely undetectable is just trying to sell a product for $$.

edit: I would think the downpipes you have will also void the warranty.

Sponsored

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
JB4 is the middle man that lies between the computer and the turbos.
Computer asks for 12 psi of boost, it tells the turbo 14 psi.

In theory a junior technician won't notice it as JB4 can be removed without a trace.
But someone competent could dig into the logs, which they can tell your turbos were boosting higher than designed.

So yes and no. Depend on how much damage you are claiming via the warranty.

BrotaryEngine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
JB4 is the middle man that lies between the computer and the turbos.
Computer asks for 12 psi of boost, it tells the turbo 14 psi.
My understanding from reading the installation instructions is that the JB4 intercepts the signals from two pressure sensors in the intake. In order to cause the PCM to increase boost, I would think the JB4 would have to decrease the pressure values going to the PCM causing the PCM to increase boost to hit its programmed boost target.

But someone competent could dig into the logs, which they can tell your turbos were boosting higher than designed.
Exactly which sensors (other than the two pressure sensors with altered signals which can't be relied upon) would tell one how much the turbo was boosting?

Reactions: OX1

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about the air intake
That is entirety up to the dealer. Usually they don't care.

I had a 09 BMW 335i, dealer didn't care about my JB4 (was at map 0), charge pipe, BoV, intake and stuff. When the dealer replaced the HPFP under warranty, they even rerouted/reorganized my vacuum lines which made it looks a lot better.

I had a 16 Camaro 2SS, it had an intake and a AFM delete tune. Dealer refused to work on my car while the intake is on. I took it off, they fixed whatever it needed fix under warranty. They didn't made a fuss about it.

I now have a 18 Audi S4, it has K&N air intake kit, air ramp. My routine oil change, milestone checkup they didn't mention anything.

There is always a risk when modifying cars while under warranty.
Dealer could flag your car on their system until the day you need that part replaced.

Sledge

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 modā€™d Flex, ā€˜14 bmw i3, ā€˜93 modā€™d Volvo 240
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about the air intake
Legally they canā€™t void your warranty over an after-market cold air intake, as long as it was designed for your vehicle. BUT that doesnā€™t relieve you of the hassle if they elect to ignore the law.

i have an unleashed tune on my flex 3.5 L ecoboost, with a tuner box that stores my factory tune. while my flex was still under warranty I would simply reload the factory tune before taking it to the dealer. Actually i still do that, to prevent an accidental programming discontinuity while itā€™s at the dealer.

as an aside, cold air intake system + unleashed tune + mrt axle-back exhaust system knocked my 0-60 times from 7 seconds to 5.5 seconds, as measured by my tuner box. And amazingly my gas mileage notably improved, especially for non-freeway speeds. while I did the tuner and Intake while under warranty, I held off on the axle-back exhaust until after the warranty period expired. Kinda hard to hide that oneā€¦.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Tunes (whether a flash tune like from Whipple or a piggyback like JB4/VR) always run the risk of having a dealership not acknowledge certain warranty issues that may come up. The JB4 is incredibly easy to install and remove, so many users go that route and remove the setup at an oil change / necessary warranty diagnosis/work.

With that all being said, when it comes to modifying cars, there is always this inherent risk that something goes wrong. That has to be understood and accepted by the end-user... regardless of how rare it may be. We currently have our 2.7L tuned with the Whipple tune and also have a JB4 car local to us. Both are impressive and totally change the driving dynamics of the vehicle. Let us know if we can ever assist.

OP
OP
Philosophize

Philosophize

Wildtrak
First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about an intake?

Sledge

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 modā€™d Flex, ā€˜14 bmw i3, ā€˜93 modā€™d Volvo 240
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about an intake?
See my post earlier in this thread. After-market intakes cannot legally be used to void a warranty, AS LONG AS THE INTAKE WAS DESIGNED FOR YOUR VEHICLE. However, that doesn't relieve you of the hassle when a dealer thinks otherwise. There are some other threads buried in here someplace where folks have run into an issue. There is actually legal precedent that protects you here, BUT the precedent isn't worth much with respect to your pocketbook if the dealer thinks otherwise, whether correct or not.
Sponsored