Sponsored

Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
premium over regular will generally reduce carbon buildup since premium fuels, as a rule, are better filtered for contaminants.
Citation needed
Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I remember pulling into a gas station and saying, "Fill it with ethyl."

The 2.7 dual injection is supposed to help reduce carbon. It is a fancy engine!

Sledge

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 mod’d Flex, ‘14 bmw i3, ‘93 mod’d Volvo 240
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Question for those in the know about this kind of stuff... even if premium grade fuel is not required on the 2.7L engine, does the engine perform any better with higher grade fuel than it does with standard?
I have a 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost and for that engine, yes, there is definitely a performance difference with 93. for grins I ran a series of 0-60 times with both fuels. Definitely a measurable difference, even before popping in a tune for 93.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost and for that engine, yes, there is definitely a performance difference with 93. for grins I ran a series of 0-60 times with both fuels. Definitely a measurable difference, even before popping in a tune for 93.
Now for an entertaining comparison, add 1 gallon of E85 to your favorite 93 octane and get another 1/2 point or so of Octane (this would make it 15% Ethanol vs 10% worse case). Your Bronco won't know, but it's ignition map might. LOL.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now for an entertaining comparison, add 1 gallon of E85 to your favorite 93 octane and get another 1/2 point or so of Octane (this would make it 15% Ethanol vs 10% worse case). Your Bronco won't know, but it's ignition map might. LOL.
There is nothing good about adding ethanol to gas. It's bad for most all engines.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is nothing good about adding ethanol to gas. It's bad for most all engines.
LOL... Ok. If you say so... Facts would argue against that. Engines are fine with ethanol, the components around the engine used to be less tolerant of Ethanol, but that is largely a thing of the past. You realize that E85 (although it requires more total fuel flow) has the ability to make massive amounts of power on turbocharged engines. The high octane of Ethanol protects against knock, which is a bad thing for all gasoline engines.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL... Ok. If you say so... Facts would argue against that. Engines are fine with ethanol, the components around the engine used to be less tolerant of Ethanol, but that is largely a thing of the past. You realize that E85 (although it requires more total fuel flow) has the ability to make massive amounts of power on turbocharged engines. The high octane of Ethanol protects against knock, which is a bad thing for all gasoline engines.
Yes if you say so. Put it in your chain saw or your weed wacker or boat. It will certainly raise octane but there better ways.

Currently, there are two ways of increasing the octane content of gasoline: increasing the volume of gasoline aromatics or increasing the volume of ethanol

At $2.49 per gallon for regular unleaded, you're getting 44,863 Btu for every dollar you spend. That amounts to about 4,200 more Btu per dollar for E85 compared to regular unleaded, even though E85 contains about 22 percent less energy by volume than regular gasoline. Mar 5, 2015

Disadvantages of Ethanol
1. It isn’t as effective a fuel as traditional gasoline.

Compared to petroleum-based gasoline, ethanol is a less effective fuel. It takes up to 1.4 gallons of ethanol to replicate the mileage that 1 gallon of gasoline can provide. Flex-fuel vehicles that can run on E85 fuel have found that their gas mileage rates are over 25% lower, with some models seeing a 30% reduction with city miles.

2. It is a corrosive fuel.
Although pipelines could be used to carry ethanol throughout the country, most of them would need to be retrofitted. Ethanol is highly corrosive because it has an ability to absorb water. That makes it difficult to ship the fuel over long distances unless there are protective technologies incorporated into the distribution networks. Because water is absorbed by this fuel, it can also become contaminated and potentially damage a vehicle that is sitting for too long.

3. Ethanol burns hotter, which can lead to overheating and other engine problems.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford recommends 87, however performance can be gained using 91 or higher, according to my 2022 owners manual.

Ford Bronco Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas? 1703459123764

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Required? No. It takes regular just fine.

If you want slightly boost on HP and Torque, use Premium then.
330/415 are rated on premium fuel (says on the fine print)
Ford Bronco Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas? 1703698291691

I personally do premium to get more out of it. Also I think premium fuel has more cleaning additive that is good for the engine (I know it is debatable) I don't mind the extra few dollars.

if you tune the engine, mechanically or via software tune, premium is strongly recommended.
If you don't thats fine. The ECU will dial down the timing to prevent pinging, which it sort of defeats the purpose to get a tune in the first place.

Edit, Here is a more detailed comparison between power figures and fuel types.

Ford Bronco Does the 2.7L Ecoboost require premium gas? 1703698955426

Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I run regular 87 in my Bronco. It runs perfectly fine and plenty of power. It is expensive enough feeding it fuel....and I get almost 23 MPG. Why would I spend even more.

Regarding E85. My wife's 2013 Silverado with 4.8 V8 is Flex Fuel. We have a gas station 2 miles from us that sells E85. She has run only E85 in it since 2012, never a problem. The truck is a single cab and 2WD- light for a truck. I installed a MBRP CAT back on it and running E85, it flies.........and sounds so damn good too. Kind of a sleeper work truck. Most in this configuration have only a V6. It sounds better and is faster and more powerful with the E85 than with 87 or even 93 octane.

bigblockfox545

Black Diamond
First Name
jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 FOX 2009 M3 2008 STI 2005 F350 2018 OB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
e85 is fine for modern fuel injection engines that are designed to run on it. for those that are not designed for it a flex fuel sensor should be installed. that way the pcm can determine how much ethanol is in the fuel system and change timing and fuel strategies. my 2008 sti hatch can be run on gasoline or e85. it adjusts on the fly seamlessly. for boosted engines its hard to beat.

like everything, ethanol fuels also have down sides. mostly its ability to absorb water while sitting for extended periods of time. carbs and ethanol are a no no. usually needs a larger injector cc and upgraded fuel pump for max potential.

the big down side to ethanol for our bronco's is range. for an off road vehicle range is definitely important. if im hard on the skinny pedal in my sti i can easily loose 30 to 40% of my range. a 2 door 2.7 on ethanol might get a 200 mile range if driven aggressively.
Sponsored