First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know Ford sent a letter to dealerships last year informing them that orders with the tow package would be delayed due to part shortages. People are still repeating that advise and it is considered one of the deadly sins. However, the tow package was not in the guidance Ford gave for the new orders. They limited: Base model, 2-door, MIC, SAS, LUX, Wildtrack, Black Diamond, Everglades, BL optional wheels, but Ford did not seem to say anything about Tow Package this time.

Is there any new information about the tow package? If I add it back on to my order (which isn't scheduled yet) will it sink my order?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is no longer a major constraint.

I shall now proceed with my usual disclaimer: "The less options you have the more likely the scheduling algorithm will select you for production."

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
When I switched my order from an OBX, with the tow pkg, to a Heritage Edition, I did not select tow package as my dealership was telling me it was still a constraint. This was last Sept. Now I see a lot of HE's being built with it so I'm wishing I had included it. That being said, it looks like Curt makes a great looking hitch for $100 and a 4 pin wiring kit for another $100. The wiring kit is plug and play. The most time consuming part looks to be running the wire up to the battery for power. Unless you're planning to tow something big and absolutely need the 7 pin wiring, the Curt option is great. I need the hitch for my bike rack and to tow a small kayak trailer so the 4 pin is all I'll ever need.

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2017 Mustang / 2012 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It is no longer a major constraint.

I shall now proceed with my usual disclaimer: "The less options you have the more likely the scheduling algorithm will select you for production."
Not a constraint but I’ve been told it gets flagged during 3/27 orders and states “late availability” so I guess something to keep off or risk not getting scheduled. However, I’ve see a lot of broncos scheduled this week with Tow. I don’t understand how FMC can make a SUV like a bronco and have issues putting in Tows. Also surprised more people don’t want tow. Does having tow affect off-roading? I want a Tow but have been advised to keep off my build for best chance at getting built. How big off an issue to do after delivery with ford or after market?

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I switched my order from an OBX, with the tow pkg, to a Heritage Edition, I did not select tow package as my dealership was telling me it was still a constraint. This was last Sept. Now I see a lot of HE's being built with it so I'm wishing I had included it. That being said, it looks like Curt makes a great looking hitch for $100 and a 4 pin wiring kit for another $100. The wiring kit is plug and play. The most time consuming part looks to be running the wire up to the battery for power. Unless you're planning to tow something big and absolutely need the 7 pin wiring, the Curt option is great. I need the hitch for my bike rack and to tow a small kayak trailer so the 4 pin is all I'll ever need.
Where is the other post or video about this? Thanks

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a constraint but I’ve been told it gets flagged during 3/27 orders and states “late availability” so I guess something to keep off or risk not getting scheduled. However, I’ve see a lot of broncos scheduled this week with Tow. I don’t understand how FMC can make a SUV like a bronco and have issues putting in Tows. Also surprised more people don’t want tow. Does having tow affect off-roading? I want a Tow but have been advised to keep off my build for best chance at getting built. How big off an issue to do after delivery with ford or after market?
It slightly decreases the departure angle.

But to answer the question the vast majority of people just don't need to tow anything. Why spend the $600 for something you'll never use?? Many people also only bought the tow package for a hitch-mounted bike rack. For those people, it's just cheaper to buy the hitch assembly from Ford Accessories. Then there are the people that actually DO have to tow something. Those people likely already have a pickup truck/SUV that tows substantially more weight than the Bronco's pitiful 3500 lbs.

So the people that own a Bronco and actually need to tow something with the Bronco is a relatively small slice of the Bronco owners. The tow package is something people often get as a "just-in-case" item. But when you are looking at a vehicle that has a gigantic wait time associated with it, you don't necessarily want to risk delaying your build by months for a "just-in-case" item all because the scheduling algorithm saw your tow package and was like "nah dawg, not happening this month".

Dtronic

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350, 2023 Toyota Camry, 2022 BMW S1000R
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Not true. At all.

Not hard to get Class IV hitch added and a 4 pin connector. But if you need a 7 pin connector it's going to cost you $$$. I tow small boats and motorcycles and wouldn't buy it without.

My Rubicon Recon did not have a trailer package but I worked it into the deal when purchasing. With the proper wiring harness and 7 pin connector, the total bill was just North of $1500. That is what parts & service billed the sales dept. This was in November 2020.

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It slightly decreases the departure angle.

But to answer the question the vast majority of people just don't need to tow anything. Why spend the $600 for something you'll never use?? Many people also only bought the tow package for a hitch-mounted bike rack. For those people, it's just cheaper to buy the hitch assembly from Ford Accessories. Then there are the people that actually DO have to tow something. Those people likely already have a pickup truck/SUV that tows substantially more weight than the Bronco's pitiful 3500 lbs.

So the people that own a Bronco and actually need to tow something with the Bronco is a relatively small slice of the Bronco owners. The tow package is something people often get as a "just-in-case" item. But when you are looking at a vehicle that has a gigantic wait time associated with it, you don't necessarily want to risk delaying your build by months for a "just-in-case" item all because the scheduling algorithm saw your tow package and was like "nah dawg, not happening this month".
All great points, thanks. I’m in the position where I am leaving it off for the scheduling reasons you mentioned, but I will eventually put one on I think. I have a large kayak that I use and can throw it on top of hard top rails, but because that is also constrained, I decided to go with soft top so having a kayak trailer would be nice. Otherwise, my bronco basically can’t do anything besides go off-roading. Can’t carry anything. I get your point about people who already have a truck but what about the casual off roading person who also wants a basic ability to pull a Uhaul, use a bike rack, or a small trailer for a small fishing boat or kayaks. I just think it’s off that FMC can’t put the simplest things on their vehicles like a tow package.

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not true. At all.

Not hard to get Class IV hitch added and a 4 pin connector. But if you need a 7 pin connector it's going to cost you $$$. I tow small boats and motorcycles and wouldn't buy it without.

My Rubicon Recon did not have a trailer package but I worked it into the deal when purchasing. With the proper wiring harness and 7 pin connector, the total bill was just North of $1500. That is what parts & service billed the sales dept. This was in November 2020.
Great info thanks. What’s difference between the 4 pin and 7? What is the tow package from manufacture for bronco? For me, I just want to be able to pull a small trailer for holding kayaks and maybe a small bass boat.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great info thanks. What’s difference between the 4 pin and 7? What is the tow package from manufacture for bronco? For me, I just want to be able to pull a small trailer for holding kayaks and maybe a small bass boat.
4-pin (literally four electrical pins) are for light duty trailers. Pins are blinker, other blinker, running lights, ground. (brake lights work by turning on both blinkers solid)

7-pin has 7 pins and add wires for running 12-V to your trailer and for electrically actuated trailer brakes. You also need a brake controller mounted in the vehicle to run trailer brakes.

I have towed a lot of different things, never needed a 7-pin for anything. If you are towing something heavy enough to need a 7-pin, you are honestly much better off with an F-250, or at least an F-150.

Sponsored

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4-pin (literally four electrical pins) are for light duty trailers. Pins are blinker, other blinker, running lights, ground. (brake lights work by turning on both blinkers solid)

7-pin has 7 pins and add wires for running 12-V to your trailer and for electrically actuated trailer brakes. You also need a brake controller mounted in the vehicle to run trailer brakes.

I have towed a lot of different things, never needed a 7-pin for anything. If you are towing something heavy enough to need a 7-pin, you are honestly much better off with an F-250, or at least an F-150.
What about a small camper like 2800-3000 pounds with just the 4 pin? Opinion on that wear on the bronco and safety? My state is 3k pounds requiring brakes on trailer.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about a small camper like 2800-3000 pounds with just the 4 pin? Opinion on that wear on the bronco and safety? My state is 3k pounds requiring brakes on trailer.
If the camper is heavy enough that it was built with electric brakes, then it's obviously a lot safer to tow with a brake controller.

If you have never used a brake controler... it takes some practice to get it adjusted correctly.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I deleted tow to get built and wish I hadn't. Lots of people in the 4/10 build week spreadsheet were built with tow. I had heard tow wasn't a constraint anymore, but didn't want to roll the dice coming up against Ford's $2500 credit deadline, which has now passed. I'm happy I was built but suspect I would have been with tow on there.

On a build sheet right now I would absolutely add tow. No question.
Sponsored