Sponsored

Jeep is trying to add half doors now

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really a new thing and not really copying the Bronco. Just motivated by it. Jeep’s been teasing them since the donut doors of the launch event. Personally I think they’re kinda pointless. The whole point is to take the entire door off. Otherwise I’d just get tube doors.
My wife doesnt feel safe with going door-less or the tube doors. The donut hole doors she loves. Happy wife, happy life.
Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
But the half door are soft windows. Same soft top material and look thru plastic. Will be a louder cabin, no thanks.
(fail, from a current jeeper)
I ordered the 1/2 doors on my 2017 JK.
They are beyond fantastic. I love them. Well worth the 3 month wait to get a special ordered Jeep.

Once you go with a soft top, the added 1/2 canvas top of the 1/2 doors doesn't change the interior decibel level.
That said l, storing them without scratching them, is a huge PITA.

-----

The Bronco's built in 1/2 doors with power windows and locks is one of it's main attractions for me.

People who haven't driven the highway to an off road site, or off road in the brush with all three ways, know how vastly superior 1/2 doors are to full doors or doorless.
1/2 doors are the best of everything.
You get the highway ride of a convertible car And the offroad tire spotting capability of doorless.

The Bronco's 1/2 doors are the best of everything on top of that!
They offer all of the topless and offroad advantages of Jeep 1/2 doors, with the security of the Jeep full door. No downsides .
:cool:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The next EV wave....4 motors, one driving each wheel....design your own permanent chassis, and migrate it atop a replacement chassis to have yours worked on or replaced permanently.

Ford Bronco Jeep is trying to add half doors now 1602381726552

Doesn't look like it'd make the rubicon trail. Look up Ree EV platform

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how is this news? You can wander into any Jeep dealer and order half doors for youR wrangler right out of the molar catalogue, today. Well. On Monday. Because most are closed over the weekend.
Not for the JL. It's in its 4th model year and still doesn't have factory half doors.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Jeep is trying to add half doors now 8CC9A442-4693-472C-B726-A7DF372EE1E4

My 2013 jeep originally came with the premium soft top. And I used it for 4 years until I got a hard top. The premium version is a rugged canvas style top that is way better than the standard soft top. I have years of experience at 12,000 miles a year on the road and trails with Jeep soft tops. I know the materials and the differences between glass and plastic windows.

There is no way you can tell me a plastic passenger window is not going to be noisier and pass thru more road noise than a glass window. Well you could try to tell me, but that would be your opinion and I know it to be incorrect.

Sponsored

schiesz

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah i get it's not a new thing, but it's never been a production thing for jeep, just a concept. Now that it's tangible on the bronco, Jeep is doing it for real this time.
But, it has basically always been a production thing on Jeeps. I don't know that i've seen them on the JL, but CJ, YJ, TJ, and JK all had factory half doors available. They were never really popular on the JK, but they were always available...

OP
OP
The Compensator

The Compensator

Outer Banks
First Name
Cleigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco, 2015 yukon denali xl, minivan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But, it has basically always been a production thing on Jeeps. I don't know that i've seen them on the JL, but CJ, YJ, TJ, and JK all had factory half doors available. They were never really popular on the JK, but they were always available...
I'm not too sure about jeep's history with half doors, I guess. I know I've seen aftermarket and factory half doors, but what I'm referring to is more like the new bronco's frame-less window included all in one doors. If jeep has made those before, then my bad for posting non-news.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not too sure about jeep's history with half doors, I guess. I know I've seen aftermarket and factory half doors, but what I'm referring to more like the new bronco's frame-less window included all in one doors. If jeep has made those before, then my bad for posting non-news.
They've always had half doors until recently, but not with glass windows. They're not going to make frameless doors with windows like the Bronco, at least not until the next redesign in presumably 5-6 years or so. The article you posted is about plain ol' classic Jeep half doors.

It's news in that the current model debuted with half doors, but they never produced them for sale. Kind of like the donut doors for the Bronco that we aren't getting.

schiesz

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not too sure about jeep's history with half doors, I guess. I know I've seen aftermarket and factory half doors, but what I'm referring to is more like the new bronco's frame-less window included all in one doors. If jeep has made those before, then my bad for posting non-news.
Well, no, they have never had THAT. Those new ones wouldn't be that either. I guess someone could possibly come up with a way to make frameless windows fit on a JL, but they have never done that before.

OP
OP
The Compensator

The Compensator

Outer Banks
First Name
Cleigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco, 2015 yukon denali xl, minivan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They've always had half doors until recently, but not with glass windows. They're not going to make frameless doors with windows like the Bronco, at least not until the next redesign in presumably 5-6 years or so. The article you posted is about plain ol' classic Jeep half doors.

It's news in that the current model debuted with half doors, but they never produced them for sale. Kind of like the donut doors for the Bronco that we aren't getting.
tenor-1.gif

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TIL the JLs didn't offer factory half doors. YJ, TJ and JK all had them from the factory. Worst part about them that the Bronco eliminates is the need for soft uppers. I was so ready to get my JK with them from the factory but knowing I'd be running them in the winter made me change my mind. Dealing with those iced up monstrocities every winter day would drive me bananas. I even looked at aftermarket soft half doors for the summer to just throw in the back of the Jeep but having to deal with soft uppers kept turning me away, that and the awful track record with leaks and fitment issues.

Best of both worlds with the Bronco, frame less and roll down glass windows!
I bought soft half doors (soft uppers and lowers) from Bestop for my JKU and they are definitely loud. Also, once it drops below freezing the windows are VERY difficult to manage... That being said, I use them for spring, summer, and fall and love them. Main reason I got them is for the convenience of throwing the entire door in the back and not having to worry about it. They also definitely leak like crazy. If there is a big storm I have to make sure I go pull the drain plugs or it will fill with water. I think I used them as half doors twice.

Honestly, for my purposes they are absolutely worth it. You just can't beat how convenient and light they are to take off whenever and wherever you want, but that is only because they are completely fabric.

The Bronco doors will be better, in my opinion, in almost every way. The only things I will miss about my soft doors are the weight and that they are fabric so they are hard to hurt if you stack them in the back.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They had half doors for the JK and earlier models. Not sure why it took them so long to get on board with them for the JL and JT. The lack of them was definitely a turn off when I was shopping Wranglers.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to the article, this has been in the works since 2017.
Yup just read the article, Jeep resting on their heels. Market competition stirring them up to action. Good for everybody.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ive always had half doors for my jeeps keeps just enough heat in rig till sun comes out then throw them in back.
Bronco and jeep are going to be at it hard soon and we will all be winners.
How many bronco reserves would go in the pooper if they offered the hemi with a stick across the line?
Sponsored