Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

TheFuzzyBunny

Black Diamond
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Auto for me 100%.

1) I rowed a plenty of gears in my younger days with my previous trucks, I won't miss it.
2) I want the 2.7
3) I want the Sasquatch without waiting.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored

BroncoBass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Crawler. Gear.

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Manual all the way.
This is my toy and I like it to be challenging when I’m off road. In a few years if Ford decides to pair the manual with a bigger engine I’ll trade this one in.

OP
OP
Gpscharron

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Starting this thread back in late November, I really was not sure which direction I wanted to go in regards to Auto or Manual. I am 100% going to get a manual with no regrets. I am so sure it is the right way to go because what is important to me. FUN FIRST, Total Control, and OLD SCHOOL!!!

1. Every time I think of myself diving the Bronco, I see myself with the manual.. SO MUCH FUN!!
2. IT”S a BRONCO!! 2-door and Manual is the closest you can get to the original !!
3. 2.3 is way enough power for me needs. No question.
4. Lighter vehicle since I am pulling my Bronco behind my RV..
5. Harder for people to steal a Manual (Young people today do not know how to drive stick..lol
6. Since I am getting a Badlands, with the optional 33” MT, no need to wait longer. I love the Badlands!!

Last point, like many of you, I have been changing my mind over an over since July, however, I am at complete peace with getting a manual and I can care less what any buddy else thinks (except wife..lol)
- The best advice I got was, GET WHAT YOU WANT!!! Thanks for the great advice!!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don’t understand the manual transmission phenomenon. So for me it’s a fairly easy decision- automatic.
Hard to explain I guess. I’ve done it so long I just like it I guess. My Lightning was an automatic and I enjoyed the crap out of it. But, given an option, I’d rather row my own gears. Maybe a control issue, ego issue, not sure? I’ve had 4 cylinder motors where you needed it and I’ve had V8’s where you didn’t but it was just a more enjoyable experience for me. I have no issues with somebody getting an automatic. To each his own. Just not my choice at this point.

Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been pondering this question.

I had a bunch of rangers, starting with a mid-80's (no power steering or brakes), and then a 91, 99 (RIP - frontal offset crash with a mini van), 01, 03, and 07. I went about 9 years with automatics and then in August 2019 I took a vacation overseas and ended up with manual rental cars - a Fiat Punto (with a dead clutch) and a very new Ford Ecosport SES. The Ecosport was perfect for the roads I was on, and it was so much fun to drive. All that being said, with my plans to get a 4-door Bronco, I think I need to stick with the auto for a better power to weight ratio. Probably a better plan when I get caught in a traffic jam on the DC Beltway, too. Still, if it were paired with the V6 I'd be fine suffering through traffic + clutch.

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OLD SCHOOL!!!

1. Every time I think of myself diving the Bronco, I see myself with the manual.. SO MUCH FUN!!
5. Harder for people to steal a Manual (Young people today do not know how to drive stick..lol
Amen to that

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was starting to have doubts. Just found a used manual rubicon to test drive, and had a blast. Definitely getting a stick. Was kind of tempting to consider a loaded 4-door 2016 Hard Rock vs a 2-door Base Bronco for the about the same price. Gonna be a long 6-8months!

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My last vehicle was a Isuzu that was a manual. It felt like it would spin the tires off but was as fast as a family station wagon . Living In the big city it is ALOT OF DRAMA going from light to light . I'm In a Nissan with a automatic Ka24 and light to light Is motionless. If I Lived in the country it would be a manual 4 banger but it's a 2.7 10 speed for me . I'm hoping there wont be any jerky squirt feeling like some have had on the 10 speed Automatic. Reprogramming seemed to fix it .

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sure, leaving the 6 spd in 4th would certainly climb the highway hills around here, but kind of defeats the fuel economy, wear and noise benefits of the OD gears. I would probably seldom get above 5th. near home. I probably just wouldn't use cruise much.
Similar note on my 6 spd auto F250 I often use the gear range limit feature to hold it no higher than 5 th when in the hills or when towing. I hope the Bronco 10 spd has this feature.
So you buy the bigger engine to save fuel mileage, but will still hold it in a lower gear? Read what you are saying and consider if it makes sense.

I'll add, you'd be driving a turbocharged engine, which is not affected by altitude changes. 270 HP and 310 pound-foot of torque is a lot of power for a 4,500-pound truck.

Sponsored

Slick Rick

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you can ride a motorcycle you can
I really wish I could drive a stick comfortably to have one. I ride a sportbike, and its way different between the two, I know. I just wish I could adjust the pedals manually to get an inch towards the seats.... one can dream ???
If you can ride a motorcycle you can drive a stick, same concept and you understand a clutch. I grew up with dirt bikes and learned to drive an old ford truck with 3 on the tree. No learning curve what so ever. Get a stick and enjoy. Cheers!

MyFirstBronco01

Big Bend
First Name
Elena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you can ride a motorcycle you can

If you can ride a motorcycle you can drive a stick, same concept and you understand a clutch. I grew up with dirt bikes and learned to drive an old ford truck with 3 on the tree. No learning curve what so ever. Get a stick and enjoy. Cheers!
I was talking more about my very short legs being able to comfortably be on the pedals without being against the steering wheel lol. But I can drive stick decent. Bikes are so much easier for me ??

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you buy the bigger engine to save fuel mileage, but will still hold it in a lower gear? Read what you are saying and consider if it makes sense.

I'll add, you'd be driving a turbocharged engine, which is not affected by altitude changes. 270 HP and 310 pound-foot of torque is a lot of power for a 4,500-pound truck.
Sorry, I must have clicked reply to the wrong post, in context my reply makes more sense. I meant to reply to your comment "Just use a lower gear". And yes 270 hp will be plenty of power but still will require downshifts or always running below 6th on the hilly highways around here.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry, I must have clicked reply to the wrong post, in context my reply makes more sense. I meant to reply to your comment "Just use a lower gear". And yes 270 hp will be plenty of power but still will require downshifts or always running below 6th on the hilly highways around here.
I've driven all around Colorado on two motorcycle trips and three car trips (in a 140 HP BMW Z3). So I'm pretty familiar with the terrain. Also, I live in the western side of Virginia and road trip into West Virginia on a regular basis. While not the Rockies, West Virginia has about 3 miles of flat road (kidding...).

But the point of having a multiple-speed transmission, it to set it in a gear that best achieves engine power output at the best fuel burn for the loading desired. If that means 5th or 4th, then that is the gear necessary. Being a manual transmission makes the 2.3L no less capable of providing good driving dynamics than the auto does. Neither transmission needs to run in top gear while cruising. That is my point.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've driven all around Colorado on two motorcycle trips and three car trips (in a 140 HP BMW Z3). So I'm pretty familiar with the terrain. Also, I live in the western side of Virginia and road trip into West Virginia on a regular basis. While not the Rockies, West Virginia has about 3 miles of flat road (kidding...).

But the point of having a multiple-speed transmission, it to set it in a gear that best achieves engine power output at the best fuel burn for the loading desired. If that means 5th or 4th, then that is the gear necessary. Being a manual transmission makes the 2.3L no less capable of providing good driving dynamics than the auto does. Neither transmission needs to run in top gear while cruising. That is my point.
Absolutely agreed. My posts to this thread started with a discussion of the usability of cruise control in hilly terrain. Other than use of cruise control, I definitely prefer a manual to an automatic in hilly country. The proper gear for any terrain can be selected without waiting for the auto to react or improperly react to an upcoming situation.
Sponsored