First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I do not have someone really to help remove the back top of the Bronco. I can remove the first 3 panels but want to leave the back top on is it fine to drive with the window open or best to leave it the window to avoid drag.
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've driven around up to 50ish with the front three panels removed. The back window was down and it was fine.

I haven't tried it but I would like to leave the back window open in the summer. I'm curious if anyone has driven around with it open and did it stay up fine?

OP
OP
Philosophize

Philosophize

Wildtrak
First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've driven around up to 50ish with the front three panels removed. The back window was down and it was fine.

I haven't tried it but I would like to leave the back window open in the summer. I'm curious if anyone has driven around with it open and did it stay up fine?
Like wise

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wouldn't run at highway speeds with the back window upen, but around town is fine. You don't want to stress the gas shocks that support the back window.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would probably be fine at low speeds but not sure I'd chance running the rear window open...I'm sure it's not designed to run open and it would only take one small rock that clears the windshield to shatter it.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a jeep wrangler. Ive done it many times at many speeds. I wouldnt recommend a long trip at 70mph just because, but its not gonna hurt. Anyone who says itll wear out your shocks doesnt realize theyre already compressed when its closed so whats the difference?

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No one is concerned about the window shattering when it slams shut?

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe behind the spare tire there are already vents that pass air through. I could be wrong but if there is you should be fine to leave the back window down
You are correct. There are relief vents in the tailgate designed to prevent buffeting. The top is also designed to be run with the rear clamshell on the Bronco with the front panels removed.

Best way to prove this - take it up to speed with only the clamshell on and see how it performs.

BTW, there are wind tunnel videos out there showing airflow over open F150 boxes which show how the design of the truck drastically reduces vorticies and buffeting. The flow is smooth over the open box and past the rear of the truck. I’ve proven this many times by having loose items in the box which stay in place at highway speeds. It’s interesting to watch the loose ends of bike tie-downs - they are like sailboat tell-tales and show that the flow is relatively undisturbed.

Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do not have someone really to help remove the back top of the Bronco. I can remove the first 3 panels but want to leave the back top on is it fine to drive with the window open or best to leave it the window to avoid drag.
Honestly, you are driving a brick, so drag is not high on the list of considerations. 😁 Also, the back window barely opens above the MIC top anyway. The gas struts are pretty firm, so it is not going to slam down. Just don't back into anything close enough to crush it...

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two examples for you. I regularly run my JK with all 4 doors off, and front panels off the hardtop with the rest still on, going 70-80mph down the highway. Rear glass closed on the hardtop...never had any issues and thats with TONS of more air flowing in with the doors off.
I've also run with the rear glass open around town going 55mph or under...never had any issues. However as others have stated, large bumps that really jar the vehicle I would be worried about as there is really nothing dampening the glass when its up like that.

OP
OP
Philosophize

Philosophize

Wildtrak
First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honestly, you are driving a brick, so drag is not high on the list of considerations. 😁 Also, the back window barely opens above the MIC top anyway. The gas struts are pretty firm, so it is not going to slam down. Just don't back into anything close enough to crush it...
I know right a brick but I wanted the air to flow through.

OP
OP
Philosophize

Philosophize

Wildtrak
First Name
F. Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know right a brick but I wanted the air to flow through.
I wanted to make sure I would not damage anything or cause damage to the struts

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Of course there is also the exhaust coming into the low pressure area of the cab with the rear open...(it is a minor issue with my model A, no-door panel with open rear)
Sponsored