Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A winch, a strap, and a STRONG tree
Trouble is the last time was in the flatlands Prairie dogging.... No trees in sight. Just a nice bog.
Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Instead of some of the "if you have to ask, then you don't need it" type responses.......give the OP a scenario for example, maybe they would like to grow into the vehicle and have it available down the road based on your more meaningful response

Last edited:

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are going to be giving up a stronger front differential & axles by not choosing the lockers from the factory. Aluminum v.s. cast iron diff housings 190 v.s 210 axles on the front.
While I have seen this commented many times that optioning Lockers on the front or the Sasquatch will get the upgraded M210, is this shown in the Ford specs? Is it that M190 are not compatible with lockers?

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I have seen this commented many times that optioning Lockers on the front or the Sasquatch will get the upgraded M210, is this shown in the Ford specs? Is it that M190 are not compatible with lockers?
No, Colorado/Canyon use the M190 up front as well, and there's a locker option with the ZR2. So, this is a case where Ford decided to give locking axle a size upgrade. I expect that they did it to try to be more 1:1 comparable with Rubicon.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My JEEP was open diff when purchased. First day out we went for a ride in the desert. As far as you can see, dry desert. Then we came across the one and only (tiny) mud spot and got stuck with the front tires 8 feet from dry land. Took us 30 minutes to get out of it by moving rocks and tumbleweeds. Jeep has brake lock differential to automatically slow a free spinning tire and send power to the other wheel, it tried to get us out but still stuck.

1254B372-86EB-46AE-9DB5-6E8A00C4046E.jpeg

A week later I had a Eaton selectable rear locker installed. For me, I will always choose to have at least a rear locker, but I also take my rig to Moab and quite a few other places for fun. I never considered a front locker, never cared for the $$. I have had my locker for 7 years and it has been engaged maybe 10 minutes if you add up all the time. I only use it to get over an obstacle and then it gets turned off.

My .02 is it’s not needed if your a mall crawler (nothing against mall crawlers). If joining a 4wd club does not interest you then you probably will not go off roading for an entire day so skip the locker.

If you get front lockers (sweet kit) remember you loose most of your steering while locked.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trouble is the last time was in the flatlands Prairie dogging.... No trees in sight. Just a nice bog.
One of those flap style boat anchors?
31%2B9eKsFxfL__85387.1563731950.jpg

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 4WD with open differentials and capable all-terrain tires is more than the vast majority of people will need.

If you have to ask "What do I give up?" by foregoing locking diffs, you definitely won't need them.
Really? I hope this was a light-hearted, but poorly executed, joke and not a d-bag response. No one here knows what the OP will need.

Without build & price availabe, we won’t know what the cost will actually be. But if it is inline with the pricing of other rear diffs- it is worth it.

While you probably won’t ever need it for snow, it may help you one day off-road. Let’s say your front tires have no traction due to mud- the rear lockers will help you get out if only one rear tire can get grip. Without the rear diff, the other rear tire will spin.

You may never need- but if you decide you can use down the road it will be much more expensive to install.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Otherwise known as your buddies truck! Hopefully heavier than yours!
I buried my spare one time to use as a ground anchor, worked too :) Just be sure to dig the hole deep enough to drop the tire in vertical, then backfill, pulled me right out.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"Flap style" :) I think that's a Danforth.
Could be. I think the site said "Fluke" but whatever. I'm not nautical at all. Well, until (if) I purchase the Outer Banks. ? Suppose that if that happens I will need to tie up my boating knowledge and knot make mistakes...