Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Could be. I think the site said "Fluke" but whatever. I'm not nautical at all. Well, until (if) I purchase the Outer Banks. ? Suppose that if that happens I will need to tie up my boating knowledge and knot make mistakes...
Danforth is indeed the brand name. Like kleenex and xerox, it's been stolen by others.
Sponsored

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, when I went to buy my last F150 I would not entertain one without a rear locker, nor will I entertain a Bronco. Too many sand and boat ramp experiences.

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Watch any video regarding those cross-over suv's on the trail. Those brake controlling traction assist systems all function rather violently. They work and are usually included with modern traction control. Having a locker is kinda like putting a switch on it, since you can turn it on beforehand it is not as harsh on the drivetrain. IMO, if you know how to use it and you plan to do some wheeling. Totally worth it.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Watch any video regarding those cross-over suv's on the trail. Those brake controlling traction assist systems all function rather violently. They work and are usually included with modern traction control. Having a locker is kinda like putting a switch on it, since you can turn it on beforehand it is not as harsh on the drivetrain. IMO, if you know how to use it and you plan to do some wheeling. Totally worth it.
If you don't plan on doing any off-road wheeling would it make any sense to paying extra for the locker (which you would have to do with the Big Bend)?

Sponsored

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you don't plan on doing any off-road wheeling would it make any sense to paying extra for the locker (which you would have to do with the Big Bend)?
It honestly doesn't sound like you need it but it is one of those things thats better to have and not need it vs needing it and not having it. Plus if you ever decide to sell the truck, it is going to help.

Last edited:

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The one time you need it you will kick yourself in the a$$ for not ordering it,my 12 f250S/D came equipt with rear e locker and ive only used it once while offroad to get out of sand,but dam i was glad i didnt cheap out that day.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one time you need it you will kick yourself in the a$$ for not ordering it,my 12 f250S/D came equipt with rear e locker and ive only used it once while offroad to get out of sand,but dam i was glad i didnt cheap out that day.
From what I’ve read, it probably saved you more money than it cost you.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Considering the OB. What am I giving up by not ordering locking diffs? Don't really want Sasq package. Should I order just the rear as it seems optional?
Thanks for the advice
You are giving up the ability to move when you have one tire in the front AND one tire in the back slipping. In this case, having the rear locker put equal power to BOTH rear wheels should get you through this and most situations.

Rear locker cost will be around $500 on the OB and the BB. I consider this a MUST HAVE! I am considering either a Big Bend with rear locker OR Black Diamond with rear locker standard. Both 4dr/2.7L. This should give me all the off-road capability I need. Since you are asking this question, i guess it's all the off-road ability you need too!

Do it.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Another rear locker question. I’ve been running with Ford limited slip for years, so this manual locker is new to me. Do you turn it on as soon as you are off the pavement, or leave it off till you need it.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You all have confused. The only time I need help is when I get mudded in. What helps then?
Never had to do it but you can bury your spare and hook up to it if you have a winch.
A a minimum get a rear locker that will get you through most stuff you will encounter .

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are giving up the ability to move when you have one tire in the front AND one tire in the back slipping. In this case, having the rear locker put equal power to BOTH rear wheels should get you through this and most situations.

Rear locker cost will be around $500 on the OB and the BB. I consider this a MUST HAVE! I am considering either a Big Bend with rear locker OR Black Diamond with rear locker standard. Both 4dr/2.7L. This should give me all the off-road capability I need. Since you are asking this question, i guess it's all the off-road ability you need too!

Do it.
Sorry to say, but in one of the many threads from the CO event it was pointed out that only BB will be able to add an optional rear locker. Supposedly the only way to get a front locker is to either get Sasquatch pkg or a Badlands. It seems they’ve boxed out adding a rear locker to the OBX for some reason and I don’t get why.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry to say, but in one of the many threads from the CO event it was pointed out that only BB will be able to add an optional rear locker. Supposedly the only way to get a front locker is to either get Sasquatch pkg or a Badlands. It seems they’ve boxed out adding a rear locker to the OBX for some reason and I don’t get why.
It clearly states in the Bronco brochure that the locking rear Differential is optional on the Big Bend and the Outer Banks. It doesn't make sense that they would change this on the OBX. If I had to bet, I'd bet that rumor from Colorado is not correct. BTW, I just downloaded the brochure AGAIN it it still shows locker availability for OBX.

Yes, front lockers can only be had with Sasquatch or on the BD. No problem, rear lockers are PLENTY for me and are more than most people will ever need or use.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another rear locker question. I’ve been running with Ford limited slip for years, so this manual locker is new to me. Do you turn it on as soon as you are off the pavement, or leave it off till you need it.
Keep in mind that a locker works by rigidly connecting the left axle shaft to the right axle shaft and prevents any differentiation. So, every time you turn (when one wheel wants to speed up and the other slow down), one of two things can happen. 1) the tires slip/scrub across the ground and don't change speed, or 2) the tires do change speed and the difference is absorbed by the axle shafts acting like torsion springs.

Which happens depends on the amount of traction you have, that's why you can get away with it off road. But often a little of both goes on. So basically, the longer you drive with the locker engaged, the more you will (potentially) wear your tires from scrubbing and the more you will fatigue cycle the axle shafts by springing them. Of course, a side effect of all this springing and scrubbing is also makes it harder to steer. That would be even more so with multiple locks engaged (the transfer case is also a lock front to rear).

So, I'm sure there are many different schools of thought here, but from a physics or engineer's point of view, you only use when you need it. To that end, Ford will limit your use as well. If its like any other Ford truck with a locker, it will auto disengage above 25mph. Though I'm curious if they have rethought that strategy for Bronco, especially in different GOAT modes...