Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking to our off-road and trail riding vets for their professional expertise.

I had my heart and mind set to go with the 4dr Badlands with the 2.7L, towing and high package. I would like to have a 4dr for future practicality (kids, spacing, storage, etc.), the 2.7 for the power especially for towing and harsh weather conditions in the North East, and the high package because I still feel like I'm living in the 2000's with the outdated tech in my FJ. I was looking to add the hardtop and later go aftermarket for a roof rack but the GVWR came into play.

My questions are the following... (1) for those in the similar position how will you or how do you plan work around or with the GVWR? (2) How much do you take the GVWR in account for overlanding? The Bronco will be my primary dd and overland vehicle. I plan to strip equipment off during my busiest time of the year and when I don't plan to go camping as much.

This may help me decide to either go with the 2.3L, 2dr, or the 4dr black diamond. We'll see. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't buy the whole GVWR talk. Most people wont care anyways. They'll buy a Bronco and load it up with whatever. If you're telling me that the official GVWR is so low and the curb weight so high you don't have enough payload to put on a 50lb rack? If thats the case Ford can keep it.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are people currently wheeling and overlanding 4Runners and land cruisers at or beyond the gross vehicle weight rating.

Heavy springs are your friend. If your rooftop homeless tent, armor, and extended family of 12 people somehow manage to fit inside your 4.5 passenger vehicle, airbags are also a suggestion.

Some of the Land Cruiser crowd also swears by foam cell shocks if you plan on wheeling when overloaded.

This is just my prediction, but from the factory, I don’t think the OEM springs are designed for running this thing fully armored and fully loaded.

OP
OP
NPBronco91

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are people currently wheeling and overlanding 4Runners and land cruisers at or beyond the gross vehicle weight rating.

Heavy springs are your friend. If your rooftop homeless tent, armor, and extended family of 12 people somehow manage to fit inside your 4.5 passenger vehicle, airbags are also a suggestion.

Some of the Land Cruiser crowd also swears by foam cell shocks if you plan on wheeling when overloaded.

This is just my prediction, but from the factory, I don’t think the OEM springs are designed for running this thing fully armored and fully loaded.
It's a good thing I have 11 extended family members who I will cram into my 4.5 passenger vehicle.

But in all seriousness, not looking to have heavy armor or cram people in there.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am also not buying the GVWR thing. Ford's covering their asses. If you go roof top tent and gear I would would do stiffer springs and adjustable shocks. Stiffen the shocks when loaded and soften when empty. Most SUV mfg have two ratings for rooftop loads. Static and dynamic. Usually the static load is about double the dynamic load. Keep the weight as low as possible and I don't see the Bronco being an issue. A 4-door is going to be a better platform for overlanding. The longer wheelbase will ride better and carry a load better. 2.7L for the power to carry the extra weight.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't buy the whole GVWR talk. Most people wont care anyways. They'll buy a Bronco and load it up with whatever. If you're telling me that the official GVWR is so low and the curb weight so high you don't have enough payload to put on a 50lb rack? If thats the case Ford can keep it.
If it can't handle a roof rack then it definitely can't handle the average american as a driver. Only small children will be able to drive it without exceeding payload

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it can't handle a roof rack then it definitely can't handle the average american as a driver. Only small children will be able to drive it without exceeding payload
based on these forums lately... there are quite a few lurking ? ?

Frank13

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500, Dodge Challenger, Harley Crossbones
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look at a expedition style trailer, more room for everything you mentioned and save the wear and tear on the vehicle.

If you were running solo or +1 then yeah outfit the vehicle.

The trailer will also allow you to pick up and go quickly from dd to a trip.

OP
OP
NPBronco91

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look at a expedition style trailer, more room for everything you mentioned and save the wear and tear on the vehicle.

If you were running solo or +1 then yeah outfit the vehicle.

The trailer will also allow you to pick up and go quickly from dd to a trip.
I would be looking to be solo and +1 until kids happened (few years). My dd for work is 4-5 miles one way. That saves a lot on my car.

In the future I would look into this though.

Frank13

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500, Dodge Challenger, Harley Crossbones
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
True, also can drop a trailer as a base camp. Same note running those same trails overloaded with a high center of gravity can be dicey.

Ultimately you got to chose what you like to do and what is best for how you travel. We can give suggestions but we are all going off a short post and don’t know the details of what your looking for to ultimately choose for you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NPBronco91

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ultimately you got to chose what you like to do and what is best for how you travel. We can give suggestions but we are all going off a short post and don’t know the details of what your looking for to ultimately choose for you.
Probably wouldn't look at a trailer for another 5-10 years when kids are in existence. Think I found the answers to my questions. Narrowed it down to a 4dr badlands with the 2.3L or 4dr badlands with the 2.7L and aftermarket springs that are stronger (most likely this option). Not looking to do heavy duty off roading like the Rubicon or Moab. Looking for easier trails to go off the path. I'll wait to learn more about the GVWR issue for now.

OP
OP
NPBronco91

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much does your spouse weigh?

Seriously, get your aftermarket roof rack, the mattress tag police will not come after you.
Damn lol. We wouldn't be a concern for the maximum weight capacity if that's what you're getting at lol. I was going to wait for the aftermarket. Hope RhinoRack comes out with something nice.
Sponsored