Sponsored

Heavly modify Bronco for extreme off road or just buy an extreme (high end) off road UTV and use Bronco to tow UTV to trail head?

Modify Bronco or put that $ into UTV

• Total voters

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, it was actually only like 110. But It was awesome and terrifying.
If you'd like, there are youtube videos of his model doing it. There is a speedometer in the dash. I don't care if it was accurate or "was actually 106.3 mph" it was fucking FAST.
And not nearly as bumpy and out of control feeling as you'd think.
Can-Am Maverick XD3S, I think?
His has been upgraded and tuned a bit, I think his was a 170hp model stock and now he's over 200hp.

Ok whew.....I thought I was about to have to buy a Can Am....140mph 😳
Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Based on your repeated use of the word “extreme” you’ll like the UTV better.

A word of warning, there are few places in the continental US where you can legally and safely use those to their full potential, and they’re all out west. The top of the range can ams and rzrs are essentially desert racing vehicles and need a ton of space to really stretch their legs.

They are really good at going fast. Not so much fun on tight trails. The more difficult classic American 4x4 trails are really for slower speed, technical driving centered around precision and knowledge of your machine to overcome obstacles. SxS are built to go as fast as possible through a set of low difficulty obstacles. Think hard enduro vs motocross if you’re into bikes.

If you’re into fast desert driving, the SxS is the obvious choice if we are in a vacuum with just Bronco and UTV options. It would take way more than 10-15k to get a Bronco on par with what a stock Maverick turbo can do. FWIW you’ll probably spend 10k just to get the Bronco on 37’s properly.

Really depends on the kind of driving you’re planning to do and your location. Would not recommend buying one if you’re anywhere near the east coast. Too tight here to use them to their full potential.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a very capable built Jeep that I don't mind beating up, and my buddy has a slightly modified Can-Am Maverick.
My Jeep is every bit as capable as my Bronco will be, but still doesn't hold a candle to the Maverick. The Maverick can go very fast through very rough terrain, as well as being competent as a rock crawler, especially after he got some 33" tires for it.
We have done 140 mph OFF ROAD in that thing. If the Bronco would even go that fast, it would destroy itself doing it off road.
If you have to do extreme off road stuff, I'd buy a used 3/4 ton pickup and a Maverick, and don't even waste time with the Bronco.
140 MPH? calling bullshit.... go away child. you are not making even close to a believable lie...

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With thousands of miles of trails to explore in CA the vast majority limited to onroad vehicle registration. An easy decision unless you are an OHV park fan, and they already know who they are.

Reactions: RG7

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
140 MPH? calling bullshit.... go away child. you are not making even close to a believable lie...
LOL No shit. Like... you're jeep is faster than a trophy truck?

Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I am not sure about CA but a lot of states you can tag UTV's...our state just passed this a couple months ago. Have to add turn signals and mount the tag...windshield or some kind of eye protection also.

You guys should check out the vids of the UTVs rock crawling...I think you will be surprised what they can do...I know I was blown away!

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly if I was ever to get back into the more hardcore wheeling I'd just build a dedicated trail rig. I wheeled my Jeep pretty heavy the first few years of ownership but it's hard to really thrash the vehicle on Sunday that needs to get you to work on Monday. It does get a little easier after the first pinestripe you run down the side of it though. The whole "if I roll it, I'm screwed" thing hits close to home when it's your only vehicle.

Out here all the wheeling is private land with land owner permission so the trail rig doesn't need registration or insurance.

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
LOL No shit. Like... you're jeep is faster than a trophy truck?
My jeep is slower than a stock jeep.
I was making an exaggeration about how fast a Maverick turbo is.
It is much faster than a Bronco.

Yes, I realize 140 kph (like the video) is only about 85 mph.
My friend Jacob's upgraded and tuned one will do over 110 mph with two adults inside, and is surprisingly stable doing it off road.
It is superior to a Jeep or Bronco even as a rock crawler for the money, if all you need it for is off road.
In TN you can drive a SXS on public roads as long as the speed limit is below 55 mph.

Last edited:

Yamahamer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I don't have a Bronco...yet...but I've been a Wrangler owner for the past 30 years (ever since I got rid of the ride in my avatar), plus I've owned a Can-am for a while now so I feel qualified to add something to this discussion.

There is simply no comparison between the ride of a side-by-side and the ride of something like a Jeep or Bronco over rough terrain. That's why I own both. The side-by-side weighs a third of what the Jeep weighs and has 16" of independent travel at each wheel. Max tire pressure is like 12 lbs so the flex in the tires absorbs the smaller bumps. Net effect of all this is that the side-by-side seems to smoothly "glide" over rough and rocky terrain rather than crawling and pounding over it the way anything with a solid axle, a lot of weight, and limited wheel travel has to do. If I do a hundred miles of rough roads in the Jeep in a day I feel like I've been beat up. Not so in my side-by-side.

So I use the Jeep on better roads and where the side-by-side is not allowed.
Ford Bronco Heavly modify Bronco for extreme off road or just buy an extreme (high end) off road UTV and use Bronco to tow UTV to trail head? IMG_0132r

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Really depends on where you live. When I lived in Az my RZR was street legal and could drive to the trail. As everyone has said you will never get a Bronco to be as good as a RZR or Maverick without dumping 50K into custom suspension, long travel shocks cut into the body. I will bet the Raptor will be good but still not close to a good SxS. A Jeep and a SxS is a good combo. A Bronco is kind of a mix of both. Living in the PNW it rains to much and is to muddy to use the RZR as much as I use to so I sold it. A slightly build Bronco would be good here but I consider 14K a slightly built and no way extreme. Trails here are very narrow with a ton of trees. IFS becomes pretty wide when it gets extreme.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you want to do a lot of what ever you consider extreme, I'd get the dedicated rig for that. The more you change the Bronco and toss big wheels and lifts and what not at it, the less fun it's gonna be on the road IMO. And if it's your daily driver you might regret throwing all that money at it. I doubt I'll ever go higher or bigger tires than my Badsquatch is stock, I don't have any trails near by, most of my 'trail days' will include long rides on freeways to get there.

Would be a different story if I lived right where the trails are, I'd have some dedicated trail rig (but not a 'new' Bronco or Wrangler and what ever car makes the most sense around town or for commuting. To me, once the looks of the rig are better than the ride I feel I've gone too far for a daily driver. I'd just get a used RXR or Maverick and rip that through the dirt.
Sponsored